Happy Cows

Online now: ukimalefu
justine Elitist Beer Lover
That was a neat story. :)
Orion Mad Cow
Not very different from our farm. Each cow has a name and the names are related for different cow "families". For instance we used to have a cow named Whisper when I was a kid. Her line includes cows like Silent, Shout, Whimper, Whine, and the like. We used to look their names up in a thesaurus and use synonyms and antonyms to come up with more names. We also have a family of actresses. Started with a Mary, then Poppins, and then onto cows like Rita and Rudner, Grace, Kelley, Marylin and Monroe, and onto current cows like Kiera and Kate. One family is all numbers like the old cow Double 8 (her mother was #88), Acht, Number, Digit, Ocho, etc. Kinda gets hard to come up with names over the years. We've had over 300 cows in my lifetime that have all been named.

I agree with him 100% on cows needing to be out on pasture. Concrete is especially hard on cows hooves and legs and they need to be able to get out and walk for exercise. Imagine standing on concrete all day every day and not getting outside at all. Cows don't find it very pleasant either. Though, since we remodeled the barn and installed all new tie stalls (as opposed to the old stanchions) and Pasture Mat mattresses, the cows don't mind staying in either. At night, we have to about force them out the door in summer. They'd rather sleep in their comfy stalls, but the barn gets too hot at night with them all in there in the summer months. Now that its getting cooler out at night we will sometimes leave them in. I took a video of #64 sleeping in her stall, but I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. Cows are cute when they sleep.
Well hell, give that reporter a call and tell him to interview you.
blurt mundus vult decipi
I have some links I never got around to posting. Might as well throw them in here.

Two no-bull pieces about genetics and production methods.

The production story I find especially interesting.
sturner Ancient Soldier
I don't care if the cow are happy.

If I'm not happy, ain't no one going to be happy.
Orion Mad Cow
blurt wrote:
I have some links I never got around to posting. Might as well throw them in here.

Two no-bull pieces about genetics and production methods.

The production story I find especially interesting.

Yeah, they've been collecting data on bulls for years. This is an example of the data you need to review when selecting bulls for your AI program: http://bullpages.selectsires.com/bullse ... tus=Lineup

You need to know what bulls you have used in the past, what your cow's current statistics are and what breeding to a specific bull will provide in the offspring. Not as simple as just buying a bull at the local auction and hoping for the best like my grandparents and great grandparents did. That's why the production has increased so substantially in the last 70 years. You could actually select the bull that would give you the best offspring, not the bull that just happened to be available. Not any different than horse breeders, dog breeders, and so on.

As for the second link, the reason that the dairy industry went the way it did to mega farms was because of the market demands. People want cheap milk and won't buy the more expensive stuff, and the only way to get that cheap milk is to have giant farms producing it. If people don't want the large dairies, then they need to start voting with their wallet so to speak and buy milk from small farms. That's the only way to stop the consolidation of the dairy industry. Young farmers aren't getting into dairying because there really is no money in it unless you have hundreds or thousands of cows. You can't support a family on a farm my size. I have to work off the farm and we still lose money more often than not. So, the market is to blame, not the farmers themselves. If a decent living could be made on a small farm, then most farmers I know would have stayed small because it is more enjoyable and much less of a headache than running a mega-dairy.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Orion wrote:
So, the market is to blame, not the farmers themselves. If a decent living could be made on a small farm, then most farmers I know would have stayed small because it is more enjoyable and much less of a headache than running a mega-dairy.

There is a small market in my village that sells milk produced on a local group of thirteen dairy farms. It costs about 25% more than the milk at Walmart but it is much more rich and delicious.
I bet the majority of Americans have no idea what real, farm fresh milk tastes like.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
Pariah wrote:
Orion wrote:
So, the market is to blame, not the farmers themselves. If a decent living could be made on a small farm, then most farmers I know would have stayed small because it is more enjoyable and much less of a headache than running a mega-dairy.

There is a small market in my village that sells milk produced on a local group of thirteen dairy farms. It costs about 25% more than the milk at Walmart but it is much more rich and delicious.
I bet the majority of Americans have no idea what real, farm fresh milk tastes like.

I'm willing to pay more for milk that actually tastes like milk, and not whitewash, but unfortunately I'm stuck with Lactaid because of my daughter.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I heard cattle like to listen to classic rock.
blurt mundus vult decipi
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Happy Cows