Recipes?

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, Majestic-12 [Bot], Metacell
obvs precoupado
Does anyone have any good recipes that they've been making recently or just love to make(or ones that you haven't made in a long time that this topic is making you think about)?

I'm looking for recipes for pretty much anything-- food, drinks, and using whatever kitchen gadgets or thingamabobs or life hacks are needed.
dv
I've been trying new recipes recently, since we signed up for a CSA and I've been having to figure out how to eat vegetables that I didn't know existed.

During the summer our morning routine usually involves a couple scrambled eggs and coffee. So I've been adding veggies to that. Any of the heavier greens (kale, chard, etc.) work well when sauteed into eggs, and I've been throwing in a variety of onions, radishes, and chives as well.

The salad I made the other day was pretty good. 1 fennel bunch/stalk (the thing that looks like a celery stalk/head) diced up, 1# cooked shrimp, tails off, half a red onion finely sliced, a cucumber finely sliced, and a bit of dill. Dressing was just EVOO + salt + pepper + lemon juice. Flavor is relatively strong (for a midwestern palate) - I added too much pepper and could have used less onion. But it's delicious. The fennel vs. the shrimp is nice.

If you think of anything to do with kohlrabi let me know - I've got two peeled ones and the clock is ticking. I also have a lot more fennel... I wonder if I can freeze it?

The only kitchen gadgets I've gotten recently that I used more than once:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727R431B
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY63XBJ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZHN6KF

I also finally got a nice teak cutting board and am oiling/waxing it regularly instead of hacking up those plastic jobs from Walmart. (I feel so grown-up!)
obvs precoupado
I Googled kohlrabi, and it says they're the same species as cabbage and broccoli, so you may be able to preserve it by wrapping it tightly in paper towels and then putting it into a plastic bag with all of the air pushed out of it. That works for a lot of vegetables.
macnuke Afar
The Hound’s gumbo

first…. I’ll take two chickens.

cut up and start them boiling for one hour in chicken stock/bullion your choice.

make a trinity that would be two large onions, two bell peppers and 4 or 5 stalks of celery. chopped
half a link of smoked andouille sliced quarter rounds. you can freeze the other half for another meal .
sweat em down in a tablespoon of bacon grease or you can use evoo.
about when done, add some of the pope… that would be a tablespoon of minced garlic.

when your hour is up on the chicken.. pull it out and de bone it. save the stock.
bring that stock to a boil and add some good dark roux… 4 or 5 heaping tablespoon
you can make it or buy it.
once the roux is mixed in good add around a pound of cut okra.
add the chicken
add the trinity and pope
small can of drained chopped tomatoes.
use red (cayenne) pepper.. black pepper just gets hotter the longer you cook it.
that pepper is to taste. some like the heat.. some just want a warm post taste.

check the salt…. remember you used stock/bullion and that can be all the salt you need depending on what kind you used.
about an hour before you are ready to eat.. chop one bunch of green onion and toss it in. chop down into the white. it’s all good stuff.

cook some long grain rice. easiest recipe.. 1 part rice two parts water. bring to boil.. turn to low and cover.. 25minutes and done.
your amount is doubled when cooked.

pot size.. you gotta fit two cut up chickens and have room to boil without boiling over.
man das good any day o da week regardless of temp outside.

it’s kind of a long cook. but you can really do it while you do most anything else…. it’s do a little, cook a little. do a little… etc etc.
I usually get all my WoW dailies done before eating time.
Quote:
Snooze Alarm Cookies

• 1 1/4 cups margarine, softened
• 2 cups white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cayenne powder (to taste, double if you like spicy stuff, half if you don't, quarter if you're a wimp)
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, cayenne powder, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

These cookies are trucking awesome, they taste super delicious, and after 30 seconds develop a nice little kick that you don't notice at first

Quote:
Gnocchi Casserrole

Wednesday, June 12, 2019
3:49 PM

2 jar pre-made cheesy Alfredo sauce
2 package Gnocchi
4 chicken breasts
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
4 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup milk
1 package thick cut bacon
6 big carrots or 1 really big carrot
1 broccoli bunch
1 cup spinach
1 cup old hard cheddar
2 cup mozzarella
½ cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan
Cut the chicken into ½” cubes and mix in desired seasoning and balsamic vinegar
Cut the broccoli florets off and set aside. Dice the broccoli smaller than the gnocchi and chicken. Dice the carrot to the same size. Mince the spinach and add to the florets
Shred the mozzarella but dice the cheddar into gnocchi sized cubes. Mix the mozzarella with the parmesan
Dice the bacon into about 1cm squares.
Get a pot for the gnocchi and vegetables and set it to high
While the pot is warming up, start frying the chicken, when half cooked or so add in the bacon
While that's cooking, put the Alfredo sauce, milk, garlic powder, floret/spinach mix and a little of the mozzarella mix into a pot and bring to a slight boil, stirring frequently.
When over halfway through set the oven to broil.
Put the vegetables into the first pot when it starts to boil, and once everything is mostly cooked add the gnocchi. Everything should be done just a little bit before the gnocchi.
When everything is done, mix together along with the cheddar and pour into a casserole dish, and cover with the cheese. Possibly set aside some bacon to put on top.
Put in the oven on broil until cheese is golden on top, about ten minutes max but watch like a hawk as it burns quickly.
Serve with a garden or vinaigrette salad.
Makes about 4-16 servings

TOS
the absolute best chocolate chip cookie recipe -- it's a bit more work because you have to melt the butter but yuuuuum: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ies-108703

this is an easy but absolutely wonderful chocolate cake recipe ... you make it in a loaf pan and don't need icing: https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/08/ever ... dm9J_cY1gw

finally, a bit random, a great recipe for eggnog that's super easy and so damn delicious even my ultra-picky son loves it (i find it works great for making ice cream): https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... nog-200118
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
As a proud Minnesotan, I present to you my recipe for Tater Tot Hotdish (no, it's not a casserole, it's a hotdish. Take it up with everyone's grandma.). Most people will use a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. I make my own.

Tater Tot Hotdish (Boss Level)

Ingredients:
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
1 bag of frozen tots
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup peas
8 oz. chopped mushrooms
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp chopped parsley (less if fresh)
1 tsp cooking sherry
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup heavy cream, or half & half
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp AP flour
1-1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper

Making the soup:
Chop the mushrooms (white buttons are fine, baby bellas are better)
Melt 2 tbsp butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and a little salt, and let them go for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their moisture.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, and stir until everything combines (1-2 minutes). It will get gloppy. (You can go longer here if you want a more carmelized roux.)
Add the chicken stock, and stir.
Add the cooking sherry, parsley, and bay leaf.
Reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The soup will thicken a bit.
It wouldn't hurt to taste here, to see if you need more salt.
Turn off the heat, add the heavy cream, and stir.

Now you have the soup.

In a large pan (big frying pan, or dutch oven)...
Heat the olive oil until it starts to shimmer, then add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until the onion just starts to get soft.
Add the beef, along with about 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Brown the beef to almost done.
Turn off the heat, and pour the soup into the beef/veggie mix.
Add the peas and corn, too. (I've also added a few strips of cooked, chopped bacon!)
Stir to combine evrything.

Pour all that into a 9x12 baking pan, and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes.
Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheddar cheese on top of the mixture, then add the tots (I do mine in lines for easy portioning, crazy people just pour them on haphazzardly).
Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the tots.

Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Uncover, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the tots reach a beautiful golden brown.

Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes or so before digging in.

Notes:

You can add other veggies if you want, just reduce the amount of the onions, carrots, and celery to compensate.
juice Inadvertently correct
It's a hotdish if you're from the MN or SD area.

Otherwise, its a casserole.
TOS
oh look, juice wants to start a new civil war
obvs precoupado
What do you call it when it's cold?
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
It's still a hotdish.
obvs precoupado
But if the dish is cold then it's not a hot dish.

It's kind of like with flat sodas.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:

Nasty. :sick:
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
If a hot dog is cold is it still a hot dog?

maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

Nasty. :sick:

Truth.
TOS
obvs posted:
But if the dish is cold then it's not a hot dish.

It's kind of like with flat sodas.

this right here is one of the things i love about you
juice posted:

Like I said: take it up with everyone's grandma.
Pithecanthropus posted:
juice posted:

I respect your right to be incorrect. ;)
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
juice posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
juice posted:

My mother makes this "salad" with pasta and tuna, there's more pasta and tuna than vegetables, and puts it in the fridge. It tastes good, but it's pasta, I microwave that human waste. Pasta should not be cold.

Last edited by ukimalefu on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:04 pm.

My mother in law makes THE best potato salad. She was surprised when I told her it was even better warm.
TOS
you people are failing at life
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
Pasta should not be cold.

Meh, last night's dinner was spaghetti with pesto and grilled chicken leftover from the night before. Ate it cold. Awesome.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
How about soup? I've been making a lot of chicken wonton soup. You can pretty much do whatever you want with it. It's basically making chicken noodle soup but substituting the pasta for wontons.

Chicken stock
celery
carrots
chicken wontons
chicken (optional)
cilantro (optional)
scallions (optional)

I said optional to the chicken because the wontons are enough.
Best salad ever

Romaine/iceberg mix
ham
turkey
hardboiled egg
shredded swiss
bacon bits
cukes on the side
no dressing
Dan Airman Dan
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Meh, last night's dinner was spaghetti with pesto and grilled chicken leftover from the night before. Ate it cold. Awesome.

I have several mean pasta salad dishes. They are salads. Therefore they are cold.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
ukimalefu posted:

Macaroni Salad should definitely be served cold.
arkayn posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Macaroni Salad should definitely be served cold.

At the bare minimum it should never be microwaved. Especially if it has tuna.
obvs precoupado
I have never heard anyone say a pasta salad should be warm.

I know a whole bunch of pasta salads, and they all taste much better cold.
obvs posted:
I have never heard anyone say a pasta salad should be warm.

I know a whole bunch of pasta salads, and they all taste much better cold.

To be fair there's some overlap. I've had pasta salad that was based off of macaroni and cheese
macnuke Afar
fiddlesticks it guys.. thread fail... just go ahead and move this human waste to The Senate and argue your asses off.
macnuke posted:
fiddlesticks it guys.. thread fail... just go ahead and move this human waste to The Senate and argue your asses off.

I expect most people just google recipes, instead of keeping a secret stash.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/chic ... oaf-186610
macnuke Afar
but most people that cook add/subtract to what's out there and make it more "ours"
kinda like Kanye changing one note in a song and making it "better" and "his"
macnuke posted:
but most people that cook add/subtract to what's out there and make it more "ours"
kinda like Kanye changing one note in a song and making it "better" and "his"

KInda like me changing chicken noodle soup into wonton soup. :D
Buy an air fryer and go to town! You can do so much with them!
obvs precoupado
justine posted:
How about soup? I've been making a lot of chicken wonton soup. You can pretty much do whatever you want with it. It's basically making chicken noodle soup but substituting the pasta for wontons.

Chicken stock
celery
carrots
chicken wontons
chicken (optional)
cilantro (optional)
scallions (optional)

I said optional to the chicken because the wontons are enough.
I like that. Do you have somewhat specific quantities?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I never ever use a recipe. I just imagine what I want to make, think about it a bit and make it. My wife says I have a knack for visualizing what a dish takes in my head and then I just do that.
It kinda drive her crazy because she needs a recipe to make something unfamiliar and I really don't.
Obviously I just mean for cooking and not baking. Cooking is an art, baking is science so you have to have the formula.
obvs precoupado
The recipe isn't for the person who knows how to cook the food.

It's so you can convey it to others and they can share the enjoyment.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
95% of the time I cook, I am improvising.

But there are times I want to try something different and seek out a recipe, or I get one in e-mail (I get e-mails from the NY Times with recipes just about two times a week, most look pretty good).

I used to love Alton Brown's Good Eats, where he would do an in-depth look at basic recipes or basic ingredients or techniques--usually bringing the science into it--which is helpful in understanding aspects of how proteins or starches behave. He also made it entertaining.
juice posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
juice posted:

Except that I'm not. :squint:
I love tater tot casserole and your version looks better than mine.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
This is my go to recipe for any type of potluck. Great for lunch!

Quinoa Salad with Mint, Almonds and Cranberries
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Recipes?

Page: 1, 2