The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 913
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Wood is a an agricultural product. You might want to take a botany course.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
That answers that question.
TOS
C. Ives posted:

The not expressly asked question is whether wood products are worthy of banning or confiscation to protect the trees in question. Answer: Yes!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Ugh, eyebrows don't match hair.
Still, decent joke.
Probably because Emilia Clarke is a brunette normally. I am surprised they don't at least try to fix the eyebrows.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
You know Uki, if you go somewhere not 9gag you get to see these images a lot sooner ;)
:eek:

Well, it is a relief that it was really tiny. But, OI.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:

It's God's way of saying Happy New year uncouth individuals!

Maybe it was target practice for the big one.
TOS
oddly enough, the asteroid was given the name "dry run"
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Warin posted:
blurt posted:
radarman posted:

Worse, they could confiscate and destroy your wooden instruments, however priceless, because they're "agricultural products".

Note that the flautist didn't protest because he's not a US citizen, and was afraid of the consequences. Understandable when dealing with a nation that routinely ignores law, rights, and humanity with utter callousness. Argue, and you might wind up subject to extraordinary rendition and get sent to a secret prison and be held indefinitely without trial while being tortured and denied all basic rights. Welcome to the United States of America, land of the free.

Holy stick fiddling hell. What a bunch of douchebags. Really? A flute is an agricultural product? How far up your ass does your head have to be to think that?

The CITES legislation is beyond stupid. I was talking to the guy who recently did a neck reset on my '53 Martin.
He went into detail about the "Bust" that the feds did at the Gibson factory a couple years back. What should have been a routine inspection, they came in with guns drawn to show they meant business.
All the materials held by Companies like Gibson and Martin are well documented, and both companies are known to hold stockpiles of some really old and rare woods.

Another issue is that the treaty makes definitions of what constitutes certain trade terms--terms that have been in traditional use for ages got redefined arbitrailly. Now there are certain species that are legal to export from, say, India but it has to be "finished" there.
Now "finished" used to mean cut to a specific sized blank--now it is being used to refer to a finished fretboard or something--so the Guitar companies will have almost zero control on quality of these things.
Total idiocy.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Warin posted:
blurt posted:
radarman posted:

Worse, they could confiscate and destroy your wooden instruments, however priceless, because they're "agricultural products".

Note that the flautist didn't protest because he's not a US citizen, and was afraid of the consequences. Understandable when dealing with a nation that routinely ignores law, rights, and humanity with utter callousness. Argue, and you might wind up subject to extraordinary rendition and get sent to a secret prison and be held indefinitely without trial while being tortured and denied all basic rights. Welcome to the United States of America, land of the free.

Holy stick fiddling hell. What a bunch of douchebags. Really? A flute is an agricultural product? How far up your ass does your head have to be to think that?
Hey, when you pay bottom dollar, that's what you get. We need to offer better pay so we can get smarter and wiser congress people.
Kirk posted:

Wow. You really believe in being a total literalist, dont you? Obviously wood is “an agricultural product”. it stick fiddling grows. The ban on “agricultural” products has nothing to do with wood flutes. It has to do with transplanting invasive species on fruits and vegetables. These boneheads applied it to hand crafted musical instruments, because they are either not allowed to, or are too stupid, to think outside the box. Where, however, does it say that these flutes were made out of woods that would contravene CITES regulations? And considering he’s travelled with them before, this strikes me as arbitrary stupidity.

I agree with the ideas behind CITES. Stopping wanton trade in the products of endangered species is a really good idea. But as Seamas points out, the application of that idea is woefully poor.
Warin posted:
Kirk posted:

Wow. You really believe in being a total literalist, dont you? Obviously wood is “an agricultural product”. it stick fiddling grows. The ban on “agricultural” products has nothing to do with wood flutes. It has to do with transplanting invasive species on fruits and vegetables. These boneheads applied it to hand crafted musical instruments, because they are either not allowed to, or are too stupid, to think outside the box. Where, however, does it say that these flutes were made out of woods that would contravene CITES regulations? And considering he’s travelled with them before, this strikes me as arbitrary stupidity.

I agree with the ideas behind CITES. Stopping wanton trade in the products of endangered species is a really good idea. But as Seamas points out, the application of that idea is woefully poor.

It's not about transplanting invasive species, it's about curtailing the trade of exotic agricultural products from developing nations eager to get first-world cash which can lead to over-harvesting and destruction of natural resources.
TOS
well anyway the real men are in the brass section
blurt mundus vult decipi
Warin posted:
Kirk posted:

That first post was sort of a joke since I am aware I am viewed that way here. You may wish to read my second post which I think you missed. Repeated below for posterity.
Kirk posted:
C. Ives posted:

The not expressly asked question is whether wood products are worthy of banning or confiscation to protect the trees in question. Answer: Yes!

And yes, I don't give a fiddlelsticks if you're butt hurt over this.
I am not butt hurt. I feel badly for an artisan who was stick fiddled over in a completely arbitrary and thoughtless way.

And how do you know (and I will admit, I don’t know) that his flutes were made from woods that even fall into CITES restrictions? If they didn’t, would you still support the bureaucratic blatherskite or not?
One does not know unless one checks before purchase. Details such as this will be very difficult to verify. Perhaps he could have gotten a certificate listing the materials of construction.
As always caveat emptor
or in other words, when in doubt buy something else
user Stupid cockwomble
From the article, it seems that it doesn't matter how thorough you are at checking it out. If some dumass custom agent decides that your instrument has illegal parts, you don't own it anymore.

Basically, if you want to leave and return to the US with your instrument, it's carbon fiber or GTFO.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Carbon fibre eh? sounds like a weapon you were trying to get past the scanners.
user Stupid cockwomble
What's in the case?

It's my AXE, man.
blurt mundus vult decipi
user posted:
From the article, it seems that it doesn't matter how thorough you are at checking it out. If some dumass custom agent decides that your instrument has illegal parts, you don't own it anymore.

Basically, if you want to leave and return to the US with your instrument, it's carbon fiber or GTFO.

Or find yourself a Maccaferri.
dv
My bassoon was made in Indiana. From a tree most North Americans could identify.

:P
user Stupid cockwomble
blurt posted:
user posted:

Or find yourself a Maccaferri.

REALLY like that little tube amp he reviews on that blog. I worked with tubes when I first started messing with electronics and I recognized those tube numbers. Can't afford it now but maybe I'll make a mini-goal out of getting one.
Can this be real? it's from a design blog, but if there's actually chocolate beer somewhere, I'd try it.

ukimalefu posted:
Can this be real? it's from a design blog, but if there's actually chocolate beer somewhere, I'd try it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout#Chocolate_stout

http://baileyschocolatebar.com/files/20 ... .12.13.pdf
I'd use cassettes again if I could get one of these.

user Stupid cockwomble
Bet the trick is getting good cassettes.
I've a buddy that brews his own beer and has given me a bottle of chocolate stout. Yes, you can taste the chocolate but its faint. You won't notice it unless you're trying. The strong stout flavor overpowers all else. A chocolate ale would probably be easier to distinguish the chocolate. I've never tried one of those.
user posted:
Bet the trick is getting good cassettes.

Not really. Sony also made some very good cassette tapes, and their Metal line was great. I still have some somewhere. I just couldn't find a source for them that wasn't fleabay.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227 ... 913