The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, ukimalefu
blurt mundus vult decipi
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
My High-School German fails me ...
TOS
the handwriting looks like russian
blurt mundus vult decipi
TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
How dare you!
TOS
well, his real name was marion ...
TOS
TOS
TOS posted:
the handwriting looks like russian

I agree the handwriting looks like that of someone used to writing in Cyrillic.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
TOS
radarman posted:

Quote:
Formed during the collapse of the towers, and then months of exposure to high-heat fires, this object has come to be known as the composite. Weighing between 12 and 15 tons, it holds the compressed remnants of four stories of one of the towers. It is just over four feet high.

dear lord
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Great photo essay.
My wife and I walked in the downtown area on Saturday 9/15/01.
I could never locate my roll of film from that day. I do remember seeing so many discarded/destroyed trucks, including a couple emergency vehicles/fire trucks --like as if a giant child had a tantrum and tossed them around.
TOS
i remember staying in the hilton beside ground zero right after it reopened ... i'd heard they were having trouble booking guests and i wanted to support them

the room overlooked the hole in the ground; i kept the drapes closed, it was just too ghastly and tragic

You could own this hovel, conveniently located in a hell hole, for a mere $1! (not including back taxes, liens, asbestos abatement, new roof, new copper wiring, new plumbing, excrement removal...)
TOS
radarman posted:

You could own this hovel, conveniently located in a hell hole, for a mere $1! (not including back taxes, liens, asbestos abatement, new roof, new copper wiring, new plumbing, excrement removal...)

i heard that houses like this are selling like gangbusters to middle-class people in china, sight unseen

apparently just the idea of owning real estate in america for a few hundred bucks has them lining up to buy
user Stupid cockwomble
I've been getting notices about foreclosure homes ever since I registered as a house-hunter down here. Cheapest was about 2 grand.
TOS
but the liberal media keeps saying the storm is long past
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
blurt mundus vult decipi
TOS
spell check + james joyce =

Ha! Not a very good match, that.

I've been reading Ulysses... for almost a decade ;)

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is very readable... Ulysses might be too, after the first 50 pages... but getting through those pages has proven more of a chore than I am able to face. :D I can't even imagine trying to read Finnegans Wake.
Warin posted:
Ha! Not a very good match, that.

I've been reading Ulysses... for almost a decade ;)

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is very readable... Ulysses might be too, after the first 50 pages... but getting through those pages has proven more of a chore than I am able to face. :D I can't even imagine trying to read Finnegans Wake.

A friend of mine when getting his masters in English lit took a course on Finnegan's Wake.
The semester ended several chapters short of reading the whole book.
The professor claimed that only he, Joseph Campbell and some obscure guy in Europe are the only people he knows of who have read the whole book.

As for comprehension…

I've read Dubliners and have read Portrait of the Artist, but only up to the part of the insufferably tedious sermon on the seven deadly sins. I learned Joyce intended to make that section insufferably tedious.
I spent Bloom's day in Dublin back in '93. Tracing the steps of Leopold Bloom throughout the city.
Agh! You stopped at exactly the wrong spot! That is, essentially, the turning point of Stephen Daedalus.

I think he is wrong. There is a prof at the local university that I can almost guarantee has read all of Finnegan's Wake. He is very much into Joyce (I read Portrait for his 20th c. Irish Lit class) and commented during that class that he had read it in it's entirety.

It is one of my dreams to spend a Bloom's day in Dublin and then spend at least two weeks touring the country.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Warin posted:
Agh! You stopped at exactly the wrong spot! That is, essentially, the turning point of Stephen Daedalus.

Oh, I know, I just haven't ever picked up the book again.
Warin posted:
I think he is wrong. There is a prof at the local university that I can almost guarantee has read all of Finnegan's Wake. He is very much into Joyce (I read Portrait for his 20th c. Irish Lit class) and commented during that class that he had read it in it's entirety.

Yeah, though it could be that I am remembering the quip incorrectly (it was 20+ years ago) and that third guy is your local prof.
And while I think the statement was made to be humorous, it is not too much of an exaggeration.
TOS
Séamas posted:
Warin posted:

Oh, I know, I just haven't ever picked up the book again.
Warin posted:

Yeah, though it could be that I am remembering the quip incorrectly (it was 20+ years ago) and that third guy is your local prof.
And while I think the statement was made to be humorous, it is not too much of an exaggeration.

Heh. I get what you are saying :D And I think you are spot on, for the most part. Peter is a bit of a strange duck... he's a Beckett critic and one of his main theories is that without Joyce and works like Finnegans Wake (if I am understanding him correctly) there would never have been a Beckett in the form his works took. He's a cool guy. He also teaches a course on prison literature (both about prisons [Kafka's "In the Penal Colony"] and written by prisoners [Victor Serge's "Men in Prison"]) that was a lot of fun. About six months before I took the course s, we were hanging out and I asked him if his Prison lit course was "makinge prose from cons". He looked like I'd farted a stinky one and just walked away... but then used the joke to a class later that semester to advertise the prison lit course.
blurt mundus vult decipi
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've been watching Rehab Addict, and the host recently bought an abandoned home in Minneapolis for a dollar and restored it over several episodes. I think the home was otherwise targeted for demolition when she rescued it. She seems pretty darn good at what she does.

radarman posted:

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
macuser posted:
I've been watching Rehab Addict, and the host recently bought an abandoned home in Minneapolis for a dollar and restored it over several episodes. I think the home was otherwise targeted for demolition when she rescued it. She seems pretty darn good at what she does.

This Old House magazine usually features a "save this house" page--often the home has some significant historical value, some of them are going for $1, but often need to have the house relocated (there have been a few where the house is already of the foundation and ready to ship).
Occasionally there are others going for $30K, and in decent areas, the building just needing 100K of TLC.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"... just 100K ... "

my teeth grind when I hear people talk like that.

(nothin' personal Seamas. 100K is a LOT of money to me. )
jkahless Custom Title
Where I'm from, $350k is an inexpensive house and 1000k is not unusual. 130k sounds wonderfully cheap to me. (Keep in mind I make about 5k a year right now.)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 912