The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], maurvir, Warin
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
You have to be cautious when you decide to either "roll your own" or buy something pre-made. Yes, in some (most?) cases, the pre-made solution is better. However, there is still a case to be made for making a lot of things if you have the time and inclination. The trick is in recognizing which is the wiser choice, and knowing the limits of your own skills.
dv
Séamas Honorary Consul General
rjprice wrote:
Some people just have to feel like they are doing everything the cheapest way possible.

Then you just use a nail file to hone that one pick that came with the guitar.

I'd hate to see what these people come up with to save on guitar strings.
dv
Séamas wrote:
rjprice wrote:
Some people just have to feel like they are doing everything the cheapest way possible.

Then you just use a nail file to hone that one pick that came with the guitar.

I'd hate to see what these people come up with to save on guitar strings.

Walking through the forest during hunting season, looking for gutpiles?
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Kirk wrote:
Is that a surfaced Russian sub?

yes it was, and apparently the seafido was asleepin.
dv
user Stupid cockwomble
mmm......horker meat......
TOS
user wrote:
mmm......horker meat......

nice
TOS
map of streams and rivers that drain into the mississippi

juice Inadvertently correct
It's a big basin.
TOS
the river system's relationship with the great lakes is a bit puzzling
chikie The same deviled egg
The great lakes all drain through the St. Lawrence river. It shouldn't be puzzling that the Mississippi watershed doesn't connect to them.
juice Inadvertently correct
How does the change in direction of the Chicago River alter that statement?
TOS wrote:
the river system's relationship with the great lakes is a bit puzzling

The Chicago River and other very short rivers in and around Chicago flow with Lake Michigan waters eventually to the Mississippi, but this is being done artificially through a series of canal locks. The natural flow of these rivers was to Lake Michigan.
dv
Geez, lady. Tell us how you really feel.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Hey, a little love for MESSENGER too!

MESSENGER, now orbiting Mercury, took the shot on the right on the same day. It was part of a survey attempting to locate any natural satellites of Mercury so it is overexposed (in a proper exposure the Earth would have taken about 1 pixel).
radarman wrote:
You have to be cautious when you decide to either "roll your own" or buy something pre-made. Yes, in some (most?) cases, the pre-made solution is better. However, there is still a case to be made for making a lot of things if you have the time and inclination. The trick is in recognizing which is the wiser choice, and knowing the limits of your own skills.

I go half and half with DIY and the "cry once" philosophy of buying best quality when it comes to important items, like tools and materials. But, if you buy the best tools and materials you can afford, you can learn to do just about anything yourself. Especially these days with the internet. The pieces of furniture I've built are the most solid pieces we've got in the house. On the other hand, they werent exactly cheap either- could have just bought something at Ikea for a similar price and had it ready all at once.
TOS
Original McD menu

dv
Damn, now I can't remember where I was that had a McDonald's built to look like that one. (With the flat roof and the giant arches.)
blurt mundus vult decipi
user Stupid cockwomble
dv wrote:
Damn, now I can't remember where I was that had a McDonald's built to look like that one. (With the flat roof and the giant arches.)

I often ate at one of those when I was in High School.
There's one they kept with that retro look in Upland, CA. I drive past it about once a month.
One pic was enough, mmav.
was it though?
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Oh hey mm are we doing a thing now?

we can't do a thing in a random image thread!
TOS
ukimalefu wrote:

that's really neat
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
FAKE traffic signs found on California highways:

They appear to be professionally made with reflective materials just like similar though real traffic signs, and one was installed using tamper-resistant bolts. The California Highway Patrol is even checking with their sign makers to see if anyone placed an order.
user Stupid cockwomble
The article actually said they were checking with sign makers in general. However, like many other things, you can order custom signs on the internet. They do tend to cater to the sign shops, though and they aren't cheap.

Someone put a lot of money into a temporary anonymous joke.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 912