The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 913
Online now: j_tso
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
ukimalefu wrote:
I would expect that servers are aware of this, and just slide a menu under the cup and flip it back over.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Or just slide it into the tub most places use to bus tables.
matt wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
I would expect that servers are aware of this, and just slide a menu under the cup and flip it back over.

It does not work that way as there is no way to lift the cup without disturbing the surface tension and spilling the water all over the table.

So yes, they most likely just drag it into a bus tub first and then retrieve the tip.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
If you have a rigid enough and thin enough plastic sheet, it would work.
dv
matt wrote:
If you have a rigid enough and thin enough plastic sheet, it would work.

5mil laminated card stock, half covered in BBQ sauce, isn't going to meet either of those requirements.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
sturner Ancient Soldier
ukimalefu wrote:

Oooo, from one jerk to another?

The proper way to do it, is either not leave a tip or tip at a much reduced rate.

This is just showing what a jerk you are.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Geesie wrote:

Sobering thought considering how many trains just like that one ive been on.
You've been on a lot of trains with bad brakes/coupling/whatever the fiddlesticks happened there?
jkahless Custom Title
Geesie wrote:

My God.
Geesie wrote:
You've been on a lot of trains with bad brakes/coupling/whatever the fiddlesticks happened there?

bad brakes? yup

cars uncouple for no reason? yup

whatever the fiddlesticks happened here? no probably not.

More specifically I was talking about trains with incredible destructive power going through populated towns.
Quote:
Ed Burkhardt, chairman of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway, said Sunday night that the train’s sole engineer shut down four of the five locomotive units on the train, as is standard procedure, in the neighbouring community of Nantes before heading to Lac Mégantic to sleep. Burkhardt said the next engineer was probably due to arrive at daybreak.
But someone managed to shut down the fifth locomotive unit, he said. That’s the one that maintained brake pressure to keep the train in place.
“If the operating locomotive is shut down, there’s nothing left to keep the brakes charged up, and the brake pressure will drop finally to the point where they can’t be held in place any longer,” Burkhardt said.
There are two ways to shut down the fifth unit: There’s an emergency lever on the outside of the locomotive that anyone wandering by could access. Or, there are a number of levers and buttons inside the unlocked cabin.

looks like criminal sabotage...

On the other hand, this is why at CP we apply enough handbrakes on the cars to hold the train in place in case the train/engine brakes were to fail. Not that that would have stopped someone that was willing to shut down that unit.
jkahless Custom Title
Could it simply have broken down?
jkahless wrote:

Air brakes failing open, hand brakes failing, AND uncoupling? That seems unlikely to me.
jkahless Custom Title
True, that's an awful lot of things to go wrong in sequence. Usually where there's a lack of maintenance on one critical system though, it's not confined to that one system.
mmaverick wrote:
Quote:
Ed Burkhardt, chairman of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway, said Sunday night that the train’s sole engineer shut down four of the five locomotive units on the train, as is standard procedure, in the neighbouring community of Nantes before heading to Lac Mégantic to sleep. Burkhardt said the next engineer was probably due to arrive at daybreak.
But someone managed to shut down the fifth locomotive unit, he said. That’s the one that maintained brake pressure to keep the train in place.
“If the operating locomotive is shut down, there’s nothing left to keep the brakes charged up, and the brake pressure will drop finally to the point where they can’t be held in place any longer,” Burkhardt said.
There are two ways to shut down the fifth unit: There’s an emergency lever on the outside of the locomotive that anyone wandering by could access. Or, there are a number of levers and buttons inside the unlocked cabin.

On the other hand, this is why at CP we apply enough handbrakes on the cars to hold the train in place in case the train/engine brakes were to fail. Not that that would have stopped someone that was willing to shut down that unit.

Good grief, why on earth do they still have old fashioned air brakes and not modern ones that lock up if air pressure is lost?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

The proper way to do it, is either not leave a tip or tip at a much reduced rate.

Depends whether you want be a jerk and still practice generosity or not.
Quote:

Wait, what, anybody can just wander by and mess about with the train? I do not understand.

Is this an electric train or something? Why would it go with no engine going? Was it parked on a hill?
sturner Ancient Soldier
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Then simply don't tip. No reason to make a mess.
dv
Metacell wrote:
Wait, what, anybody can just wander by and mess about with the train? I do not understand.

Yes.

Rail yards are fenced, and patrolled, but sneaking into and out of them (usually to graffiti freight cars, not cause massive explosions) used to be a popular pastime for bored teens with absentee parents.
Metacell wrote:
Quote:

Is this an electric train or something? Why would it go with no engine going? Was it parked on a hill?

Trains are almost all electric, the diesel engines generate the electricity that then drive the motors. I think...
user Stupid cockwomble
sturner wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Or put a really great tip in the glass.
Farmerkev wrote:
mmaverick wrote:
Quote:

Good grief, why on earth do they still have old fashioned air brakes and not modern ones that lock up if air pressure is lost?

Actually, that's exactly how they work. To put a brake into the train, you release air from the main brake pipe. When the units uncoupled from the train (that happened right? i'm tired right now) the cars should have automatically had an emergency brake applied unless an angle-cock had been closed. The unit also has it's own brakes that are independent from the air brakes, and unless the train is on grade, it's almost always enough to keep the train anchored down if nothing goes wrong.
Warin wrote:
Metacell wrote:
Quote:

Trains are almost all electric, the diesel engines generate the electricity that then drive the motors. I think...

Yup, and then some trains also have electric air brakes so that when you apply a brake to the train, it happens automatically instead of waiting for the air pressure to equalize. Though, probably not the "electric train" that Metacell was thinking about.

As for being able to fiddlesticks with a train, they aren't always parked in yards. Quite often they get tied down "online" for a variety of reasons. Hell, if Warin wanted to, he could drive 15 minutes from his house right now and sabotage 2-5 trains that are tied down right beside the highway 3-20 miles east of his city. These trains are all tied down in areas that have easy road access so that crews can get to them.
Geesie wrote:
jkahless wrote:

Air brakes failing open, hand brakes failing, AND uncoupling? That seems unlikely to me.

It wouldn't shock me to find out that it's a disgruntled conductor/engineer wasted off that an american company is running single man crews up here.
mmaverick wrote:
Geesie wrote:
jkahless wrote:

It wouldn't shock me to find out that it's a disgruntled conductor/engineer wasted off that an american company is running single man crews up here.

Quote:
Local Fire Chief Denis Lauzon said firefighters in a nearby community were called to a locomotive blaze on the same train a few hours before the derailment. Lauzon said he could not provide additional details about that fire since it was in another jurisdiction. Joe McGonigle, Montreal, Maine & Atlantic’s vice-president of marketing, confirmed the fire department showed up after the first engineer tied up and went to a local hotel. Someone later reported a fire.

“We know that one of our employees from our engineering department showed up at the same time to assist the fire department. Exactly what they did is being investigated so the engineer wasn’t the last man to touch that train, we know that, but we’re not sure what happened,” McGonigle said.

Or someone thought that uncoupling an engine fire from the cars was a good idea and the handbrakes weren't enough to keep it immobile on a grade?
sturner wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

That would be not practicing generosity.
blurt mundus vult decipi
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

My fiancee is a waitress, the best you've ever seen. She's had to deal with everything from jerks who loosen the caps on the salt and pepper shakers to idiot parents who change their baby's diaper at the table and leave the dirty one behind for her to clean up. Nobody likes it when some midget makes their job more difficult. If you're the type to pull a stunt like this, stop going out to eat.
dv
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

With friends like you, who needs enemies? :p
TOS
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
Metacell wrote:
sturner wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

My fiancee is a waitress, the best you've ever seen. She's had to deal with everything from jerks who loosen the caps on the salt and pepper shakers to idiot parents who change their baby's diaper at the table and leave the dirty one behind for her to clean up. Nobody likes it when some midget makes their job more difficult. If you're the type to pull a stunt like this, stop going out to eat.

hear, hear
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Hipster learns the hard way why modern ovens are awesome, and why you should really probably stick with the butcher unless you are a pro.
Noobs, the only good way to roast a pig is in a covered pit. I bet that thing is half raw.
radarman wrote:

Hipster learns the hard way why modern ovens are awesome, and why you should really probably stick with the butcher unless you are a pro.

The internet is right - that word has zero meaning.
TOS
Kirk wrote:
Noobs, the only good way to roast a pig is in a covered pit. I bet that thing is half raw.

the article says exactly that

he intended to get a twelve pounder but wound up with a forty pounder ... basically didn't know what the heck he was doing

i remember my aunt making one for christmas one year when i was a kid; worked out great (she planned ahead) but it was so damn creepy to have that bug-eyed thing staring at me
dv
Yeah, he clearly fell into the "tweak the plan" black hole.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 913