The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Metacell, ukimalefu
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Nice, uki.

I'm visible at 1:31 into the video below. We were at a progressive dinner (multiple courses of food served with appropriate wines with a short walk between restaurants) in San Luis Obispo over the weekend. Its called 'Roll Out the Barrels'.
http://www.kcoy.com/story/22659886/roll ... st-economy
user Stupid cockwomble
Not sure about the physics.
Perpetual motion machines are perpetual.
On the bright side, spiders won't be keeping me awake.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
chikie The same deviled egg
That was a crazy finale.
A very large Yellow Jacket wasp nest. Since someone is over their arachnophobia, they can partake of spheksophobia ;)
http://www.ibtimes.com/giant-yellow-jac ... nest-video
Kirk wrote:
A very large Yellow Jacket wasp nest. Since someone is over their arachnophobia, they can partake of spheksophobia ;)
http://www.ibtimes.com/giant-yellow-jac ... nest-video

Beat ya. :)
<falls over and expires from wasp stings>
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
radarman wrote:

... Molasses in January ...
TOS
radarman wrote:

looks as though the vegans used a blurry picture of bigfoot ...
user Stupid cockwomble
If you're a carni, you have the full active uncritical support of society and the meat industry.

So, no, you don't need a support group.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
matt wrote:

Uh ... you never seen one uh those before ?
They should have picked a better wood for their cabinetry than honey oak.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Since I'm not cool enough to have cleats on my bicycle shoes, (since I'm not cool enough to have bicycle shoes), ...
I don't get it. What's the implication of Honey Oak? Is it a shade Paula Deen likes in her domestic help?
Straight out of the 80s. I just watch too many home improvement shows and people always complain about honey oak being horribly dated.
Orion Mad Cow
chikie wrote:
Straight out of the 80s. I just watch too many home improvement shows and people always complain about honey oak being horribly dated.

So people can't decorate their houses as they see fit? Should everyone consult you before they do any remodeling? Does that mean I need to tear out all the flooring and wood work in my house because its Victorian and horribly outdated?
Christ on a stick. :roll:
dv
DukeofNuke wrote:
matt wrote:

I haven't. That's awesome.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, kitchens and bathrooms are always the fashion centers of the house (remember "Avocado"?), and because they are also the most expensive to remodel, it can be a gamble going with a fashion color for cabinets and counter tops.
Even if you intend to go totally retro, which I can totally dig, man; there's a difference in doing it tastefully

or not

BTW, while I was searching Google Images for retro kitchens, I found this

There's your Honey Oak !

Last edited by DukeofNuke on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm.

Nice one uki.

dv wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
matt wrote:
I haven't. That's awesome.

We have one of those spice drawers in our kitchen. However not in honey oak. ;)
Its not actually that useful. Leaning over and looking at both sides to find the desired spice is a pain. Probably the most telling argument is that my wife just keeps the little spice jars she uses most frequently on the countertops. If I had it to do over again, I would not get it installed. The better options are spice drawers that fit up under the overhead storage cabinets and swing down.
chikie wrote:

Anything you put in, for the most part, is going to look dated in a few years. The best you can do is go for elegant neutral and hope it lasts.

I do feel like solid surfaces will always look good longer than wall paper, and that stone/tile/wood will generally look good longer than Formica, Linoleum, etc. So, while that honey oak may look dated now, it may not be so bad in the future when tastes change again. At least it's solid wood, not particle board.

We have dark violet-brown stained (it's a hard color to describe) cabinets with light marble tiled back splashes. The wood trim is done in white, and the walls are done in a solid creamy tan/brown. The counters are Cream Bordeaux granite with stainless steel fixtures. We chose a slab with a great deal of movement, and with colors that match the rest of the room. (we spent months picking slabs...) Appliances are all black. Now, this was done nearly 7 years ago now - and yet I think it has held up well. It cost about 7k to renovate the kitchen when we bought the house, and I feel we got our money's worth.

I have no doubt that in another 13 years, my daughter will complain about how hideous our kitchen is compared to her friend's new house... :roll:
My kitchen is totally retro in that nothing has been changed since the house was built in the early 60s.
radarman wrote:
chikie wrote:

Anything you put in, for the most part, is going to look dated in a few years. The best you can do is go for elegant neutral and hope it lasts.

I do feel like solid surfaces will always look good longer than wall paper, and that stone/tile/wood will generally look good longer than Formica, Linoleum, etc. So, while that honey oak may look dated now, it may not be so bad in the future when tastes change again. At least it's solid wood, not particle board.

We have dark violet-brown stained (it's a hard color to describe) cabinets with light marble tiled back splashes. The wood trim is done in white, and the walls are done in a solid creamy tan/brown. The counters are Cream Bordeaux granite with stainless steel fixtures. We chose a slab with a great deal of movement, and with colors that match the rest of the room. (we spent months picking slabs...) Appliances are all black. Now, this was done nearly 7 years ago now - and yet I think it has held up well. It cost about 7k to renovate the kitchen when we bought the house, and I feel we got our money's worth.

I have no doubt that in another 13 years, my daughter will complain about how hideous our kitchen is compared to her friend's new house... :roll:

I think in general wood holds up to the test of changing fashions far better than anything else. The thing about Honey Oak, though, is that every house built in the 80s (and early 90s) uses it as their "hardwood". The complete saturation of that era is what makes it obnoxious and dated, not necessarily just changing whims.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Geesie wrote:
My kitchen is totally retro in that nothing has been changed since the house was built in the early 60s.

Awesome! Pray ye, tell the colors of your counter top and linoleum.
dv
Or better yet, photos.

I rented an apartment for a while with the original 1940s bathroom. I actually really liked the pink-on-black tile. And the arched/curved plasterwork was nothing you'd see in modern construction.

Unfortunately, those were the only two good things about the apartment, the building, the management company, or the neighborhood.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Geesie wrote:

Awesome! Pray ye, tell the colors of your counter top and linoleum.

probably avocado ;)
Countertop is beige but the linoleum (and the refrigerator, and the stove) are variations on mustard.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 912