The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 912
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], juice, ukimalefu
Post Reply
Yori Program
User avatar
dv
User avatar
Boy, the power rangers sure have come a long way.
Here is another one coming soon.

Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 9.56.55 AM.png
TOS
User avatar
TOS
User avatar
rjprice wrote:
Image


what a jerk
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
User avatar
degeneric wrote:
:D
541602_10151603756504740_926175144_n.jpg

So awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as the Yamato movie, I will be psyched!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
User avatar
TOS wrote:
rjprice wrote:
Image


what a jerk


good timing, tho
TOS wrote:
rjprice wrote:
Image


what a jerk


I know, eh. Lucky that other guy was there handy with the garbage can to learn him up.
Metacell wrote:
degeneric wrote:
:D
541602_10151603756504740_926175144_n.jpg

So awesome. If it's anywhere near as good as the Yamato movie, I will be psyched!


I tough the project was dead, not having heard anything about it for nearly 2 years.

Here is the trailer for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42Hf8vIJTY
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
User avatar
Thirty Meter (100 ft) Diameter Telescope - Construction is about to begin on Mauna Kea. First light should happen in 2018.
http://www.dvice.com/2013-4-15/ginormou ... ome-hawaii

Image
belloq451 in the outlet by the lightswitch.
User avatar
How many good spots are left on earth to build telescopes before we need to consider other options? Not that I think building this one is bad, but the day will come when we need a bigger scope, but the land will be either already developed or unsuitable for telescopes because of air/light pollution.

Now, if we ever get a moon base built we could plant a 300 meter sucker on the dark side, or the dark edge of the terminator. That would be worthwhile, as well as just plain awesome.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
User avatar
Wow, looks like a giant eyeball. They should build another one 1000km away and link them together so we can look out into space with binocular vision.
MC -
Yeah, the dome on this one is distinctive and anthropomorphic. I figured it was worthy of this thread. ;)
We've linked other smaller telescopes. We'll probably eventually make another this size. I fully expect they'll also put it on Mauna Kea to link them as you suggest.

There's plenty of real estate left for future telescopes, belloq. Most of higher Andes Mountains would be excellent sites for example. That's just the conventional telescope sites.

Last edited by Kirk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:23 am.

user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
belloq451 wrote:
How many good spots are left on earth to build telescopes before we need to consider other options? Not that I think building this one is bad, but the day will come when we need a bigger scope, but the land will be either already developed or unsuitable for telescopes because of air/light pollution.

That's what is so great about the Hubble....but keeping it operational is a challenge. They very nearly let it drop out of orbit until the hue and cry got too much.
chikie The same deviled egg
User avatar
Kirk wrote:

There's plenty of real estate left for future telescopes, belloq. Most of higher Andes Mountains would be excellent sites for example. That's just the conventional telescope sites.

You just have the problem of how you're going to build a large telescope high atop the Andes :p
We would have to build the roads and other infrastructure of course. I'm sure we won't spend that extra cash until other more convenient sites are filled with existing scopes they don't want to tear down.
TOS
User avatar
TOS wrote:
Image


Latest North Korea Fire Power Photoshop skills? :paranoid:

ShitShitShitShit




.
TOS
User avatar
chikie wrote:
Kirk wrote:

There's plenty of real estate left for future telescopes, belloq. Most of higher Andes Mountains would be excellent sites for example. That's just the conventional telescope sites.

You just have the problem of how you're going to build a large telescope high atop the Andes :p


easier than building on the moon, tho
TOS
User avatar
"and here's where i stopped knowing how to read"

Image
blurt mundus vult decipi
User avatar
chikie The same deviled egg
User avatar
TOS wrote:
chikie wrote:
Kirk wrote:

There's plenty of real estate left for future telescopes, belloq. Most of higher Andes Mountains would be excellent sites for example. That's just the conventional telescope sites.

You just have the problem of how you're going to build a large telescope high atop the Andes :p


easier than building on the moon, tho

They'd put many at the Earth - Sun L2 before they even think of putting one on the moon.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
User avatar
chikie wrote:
TOS wrote:
chikie wrote:
Kirk wrote:

There's plenty of real estate left for future telescopes, belloq. Most of higher Andes Mountains would be excellent sites for example. That's just the conventional telescope sites.

You just have the problem of how you're going to build a large telescope high atop the Andes :p


easier than building on the moon, tho

They'd put many at the Earth - Sun L2 before they even think of putting one on the moon.

Newt Gingrich would have put one on the moon.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
User avatar
Image

Yeah, it's probably 'shopped--or perhaps there really are five men the size of skyscrapers!
sturner Ancient Soldier
User avatar
Séamas wrote:
Image

Yeah, it's probably 'shopped--or perhaps there really are five men the size of skyscrapers!

Short Japanese skyscrapers though.
TOS
User avatar
he died nineteen years ago ... go play some nirvana

Image
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
User avatar
jkahless Custom Title
User avatar
A North Korean aircraft carrier? ;)
jkahless Custom Title
User avatar
Or with a crude copypasta...

Image
TOS
User avatar
talk about counting chickens before they hatch ...

Image
Image
1941 Stanwyck in Ball of Fire
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
User avatar
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
User avatar
Geesie wrote:
Image

Is that Kiliban?
That reminds me of an old Irish joke.

Two irishmen had been drinking buddies for decades. As they were approaching the ends of their lives, they made a pact that whichever lived longer would pour their finest bottle of whiskey over their dead friend at his wake. One turned to the other and said he'd be proud to do so after straining it through his kidneys first.
jkahless Custom Title
User avatar
I think that's a Ray Bradbury story involving a rich miser and collector of wines willed to be poured on his grave.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
User avatar
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Geesie wrote:
Image

Is that Kiliban?


Yup.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 912