The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899
Online now: No visible users
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:

God I miss those days. Need more RAM? Open 'er up and put some in. Simple.

I remember those too. A shame Apple had to be uncouth individuals and use non-standard power supplies. What was nuts was that you actually *could* use a standard ATX power supply to power the thing, it just wouldn't fit in the blasted case because the screw holes / power inlet were in different places.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized

Beatles, not computers
ukimalefu Canadized
I remember those, though that case was a carry-over from the last of the 68040 Macs of that era. Shortly after, they got the bondi-blue translucent case you posted earlier. Interestingly, you could upgrade a 68040 Mac to a G3 with a plugin-card.

That was a very easy machine to work on, as was the follow-on G3/G4 Power Mac
dv
maurvir posted:
I remember those, though that case was a carry-over from the last of the 68040 Macs of that era. Shortly after, they got the bondi-blue translucent case you posted earlier. Interestingly, you could upgrade a 68040 Mac to a G3 with a plugin-card.

That is not true.

That is a Beige G3; it shared a case with the 8500 and 8600 series second generation PCI power macs, which could be upgraded with a G3 by replacing the CPU.

The Power Mac 8100 (first gen) used the same case as the Quadra 800/840, and they used Nubus slots. Some accelerator cards were available that piggybacked a PowerPC 601 CPU onto the 68040's processor direct interface (or a G3 CPU on the PPC 601's interface to upgrade a x100-series Power Mac), but the CPUs were soldered.
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

That is not true.

That is a Beige G3; it shared a case with the 8500 and 8600 series second generation PCI power macs, which could be upgraded with a G3 by replacing the CPU.

The Power Mac 8100 (first gen) used the same case as the Quadra 800/840, and they used Nubus slots. Some accelerator cards were available that piggybacked a PowerPC 601 CPU onto the 68040's processor direct interface (or a G3 CPU on the PPC 601's interface to upgrade a x100-series Power Mac), but the CPUs were soldered.

Yup, I went back and checked, and you are right. I was thinking of the beige cases for the Quadra series, but those didn't fold open like the PowerMacs.

sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:

I had one of these! Great little machine.
jkahless Custom Title
When I was a little kid, I thought the protrusion was a binder full of instructions...
Lombo Opiofiend
I once had a 9600 350. It was almost as fast as the G3 300 that I got at my next job. It was truly a PROFESSIONAL COMPUTER. I would even say that since that 9600 the only desktop that truly was made for professionals is the current Mac Pro. By that I mean humongous ram slots and expansion capabilities.
TOS
see, now you guys have got me once more wanting to mod an apple case

wouldn't it be cool to have a quicksilver case on my shelf?
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
see, now you guys have got me once more wanting to mod an apple case

wouldn't it be cool to have a quicksilver case on my shelf?

My all time favourite case.

:awe:
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
The "why no both" computer

ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized

From the Dick Fosbury Pespi commercial (1993)

Fun fact is that same year, John Sculley resigned from Apple, 10 years after been lured away from Pepsi by Steve Jobs.

Apple later adopted the “Think different” slogan (1997-2002)
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I love this pic!Image
ukimalefu Canadized

Laugh now while you still can
dv posted:

I still have my 7100 with G3 PDS card upgrade.

I remember when the G3 came out they touted it was "future-proof" because the processor was on a ZIF socket and could changed out, but I don't remember any ZIF upgrades that came afterwards.
j_tso posted:
dv posted:

I remember when the G3 came out they touted it was "future-proof" because the processor was on a ZIF socket and could changed out, but I don't remember any ZIF upgrades that came afterwards.

The problem with "future proofing" is that it doesn't usually take into account improvements in other subsystems. From that perspective, the humble ATX case has been the most "future proof", since you replace the motherboard - but that's probably not what most people mean by that.

Of course, I have had the same tower case for my office computer since about 1996, so there is that.
ukimalefu Canadized

I've never heard about that before, never have tried it, and never will. :sick:
macnuke Afar
I’ll stick to scotch and milk for breakfast thank you
ukimalefu Canadized
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
j_tso posted:
dv posted:

Apple didn't release any, but other companies did.

In fact, Apple released an update which prevented Macs from booting if they had a G4 in the ZIF socket.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu posted:

What's a computer? A better OS.

The bus from 'Into the Wild' was airlifted out of the Alaskan wilderness after numerous tourists died making pilgrimage to it
maurvir posted:

The bus from 'Into the Wild' was airlifted out of the Alaskan wilderness after numerous tourists died making pilgrimage to it

:up:
jkahless Custom Title
The fact my first reaction was "aw, now I can't ever hike out there and see it", means it's a very good idea to remove the Damn thing.
macnuke Afar

it's a safety crazy. no worries.
macnuke Afar

and there it is.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
macnuke posted:

and there it is.
That's awful.

Why did he have to use writing that is so stick fiddling beautiful to write that? I mean, that writing is so amazing that it's going to detract from people's ability to focus on the importance of the document.
macnuke Afar
Cursive was the script used back then. The real horror.... they don't teach that anymore... so many kids today cannot read that.
I do know what cursive is. I was taught how to write it. It's not remotely important. But that handwriting is just amazingly pretty.
juice Inadvertently correct
I was taught to write cursive, but I’m out of practice. That’s tough to read.
ukimalefu Canadized
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 893, 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899