The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845 ... 857
Online now: Aaron_R, DEyncourt, Google [Bot], maurvir, Warin
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
This one reminds me of a Ford GT from the side, but the front it does look like a corvette

Quote:
Chevrolet Astro II XP-880, 1968. Though it was badged as a Corvette the XP-880 was a serious attempt to create a new generation mid-engined Corvette for the 1970s. It was powered by a 390hp Mark IV big-block V8 engine driving the rear wheels via a 2-speed transaxle. Despite being well received at the 1968 New York Auto Show GM’s management felt their customer base wasn’t ready for a mid-engined Corvette and the project was abandoned

Last edited by ukimalefu on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:01 am.

TOS posted:
you know the world will have changed when corvettes become electric

To the diehard Corvette fans the world has changed because now the engine is behind the driver.

0-60 in 3 seconds for under $60,000 is what's promised.
Donkey Butter jerk face
the best part about that new corvette is that it doesn't look like a corvette.
TOS

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contribut ... -treatment

Well, it IS an effective drug delivery method... but, can't breathe because asthma? fill your lungs with smoke!
ukimalefu posted:

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contribut ... -treatment

Well, it IS an effective drug delivery method... but, can't breathe because asthma? fill your lungs with smoke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewVicFzRxw
TOS

Captain Zantor - Space 1999

AKA Space Saruman

AKA Hippie Saruman
TOS
a mazda miata upgraded to 685 horses

*mandatory joke*

still a girly car!

:p
The iBook turned 20 a month ago and nobody said anything

Quote:
on June 21, 1999, Steve Jobs unveiled the iBook G3 during the keynote presentation of Macworld Conference & Expo, New York City.

Awesomely named NASA engineer Allyn “Hap” Hazard tries out a moonsuit of his own design, California, September 1960.

that's a weird mashup

Quote:
“Clarke invokes what you might expect in the way of supercomputers and laserdiscs that will respond to your voice command and place the world’s learning at your fingertips. Meanwhile, lovable robots will do the drudge work, provide companionship, and allow you leisure to pursue entertainments like movies that outdo each other in special effects or sports that will be based on a new breed of brainy/steroid-built superjocks. Had enough? Wait. Clarke also supplies his versions of hospital days and death-defying regimens. The scenarios here smack of Coma with illicit dealing in organ transplants, aborted babies as source of brain cells and so on.

Clarke also hypothesizes war in 2019–an affair that starts as a rebellion in East Germany and escalates. An epilogue laments the decline in the United Nations, but sees hope in further developments of one of Clarke’s own favorite: projects: satellite communications. It will make earth a global family yet, he predicts. This note of optimism and a long, Clarke-at-his-best description of life in a 2019 space station (based on present experience) lift the book out of the veil of joyless hardware.”

mmaverick my steady systematic decline
ukimalefu posted:
*mandatory joke*

still a girly car!

It’s a shame people think this way. One of the best driving experiences you can get at that price point.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
j_tso posted:
TOS posted:

To the diehard Corvette fans the world has changed because now the engine is behind the driver.

The Corvette has always served a strange niche.
People who wanted the fastest Chevy they could get got a Camaro and spent the money they did not spend on a vette to make their Camaro faster than a vette.
"Sports car" people never looked at vettes because, despite the fiberglass vettes have always been slovenly lead sleds.

I can tell from reading in car forums filled with old boomers like me, that owning a "vette" means something to a certain demographic. But I have never really been able to get just what it means exactly.
But the harsh truth is for most of its production life vettes have always been second rate whether you are looking for speed or handling and it is funny to me that the old dude squad is mad because for the last 20 years Chevy has been morphing the Vette into a proper budget supercar. Finally producing a vette that is actually fast and actually handles respectably.
OG vette fans liked vettes better when they sucked. :shrug:
mmaverick posted:
ukimalefu posted:
*mandatory joke*

still a girly car!

It’s a shame people think this way. One of the best driving experiences you can get at that price point.

except there's a fricken height limit to that ride. It's possible to switch out the seat for one from a lotus to get more space, but it's still a pretty cramped car.
TOS
TOS
Pariah posted:
j_tso posted:
TOS posted:

People who wanted the fastest Chevy they could get got a Camaro and spent the money they did not spend on a vette to make their Camaro faster than a vette.
"Sports car" people never looked at vettes because, despite the fiberglass vettes have always been slovenly lead sleds.

I can tell from reading in car forums filled with old boomers like me, that owning a "vette" means something to a certain demographic. But I have never really been able to get just what it means exactly.
But the harsh truth is for most of its production life vettes have always been second rate whether you are looking for speed or handling and it is funny to me that the old dude squad is mad because for the last 20 years Chevy has been morphing the Vette into a proper budget supercar. Finally producing a vette that is actually fast and actually handles respectably.

it's interesting to look at the brand's ups and downs

According to Grand Tour corvettes were popular because Chevy gave the famous astronauts a ridiculously good deal on them in exchange for being seen driving them.

Me? I'd prefer something that is light and agile. Or I'd just get a Jeep Gladiator so that my daily driver is the fun one and I can have a convertible and a truck without having to justify three vehicles or have a car I grow to hate because it's a wasteful daily driver.
I love the 1984 spike. I would love to own one of the 84 model year C4 corvettes, to make my 15 year old self super happy.
Yoshino, japan
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
We have two of those pink cherry trees in our yard. (Ok, for the next 2.5 weeks...) They are incredible when they bloom. I plan to put them at the next house as well.
TOS
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
j_tso posted:
TOS posted:

One of my buddies in HS had a 'golden anniversary' vette.

We had awesome times in that car. We called it "the Discovery" in honor of 2001 A Space Odyssey.

It was diesel. His father (an engineer with no formal education) hacked it so it could run on home heating oil.
Do they still make Chevettes?
Séamas Honorary Consul General
maurvir posted:
We have two of those pink cherry trees in our yard. (Ok, for the next 2.5 weeks...) They are incredible when they bloom. I plan to put them at the next house as well.

We managed to hid Washington DC during the cherry blossom bloom one year. It was just at the point where petals started falling.
I didn't realize just how many of those trees were planted in the tidal basin. It was pretty surreal.
Séamas posted:
maurvir posted:

We managed to hid Washington DC during the cherry blossom bloom one year. It was just at the point where petals started falling.
I didn't realize just how many of those trees were planted in the tidal basin. It was pretty surreal.

When we lived in Odenton, MD, we always made the trek to the tidal basin for the cherry blossom festival (actually a few days before, when it wasn't nuts). It is like walking in a wonderland when they all bloom - but the trees are so old that the ground is treacherous with roots. That was always one of my favorite things in the area, though.

sorry if the bikini lady is too much...

HEY! THE CARS! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE CARS!

And read the text to understand why it's a funny pic.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

sorry if the bikini lady is too much...

HEY! THE CARS! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE CARS!

And read the text to understand why it's a funny pic.

One of my cousins bought a FiberFab replacement front end for his MG Midget and it looked pretty damned slick. The Buggy I had was also from FiberFab.
They were considered the best in that niche. All their bodies were well made from really sturdy fiberglass. Cheaper kicks would shake and wobble at speed but FiberFab stuff was stiff.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 839, 840, 841, 842, 843, 844, 845 ... 857