The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 913
Online now: No visible users
ukimalefu wrote:

The top image, I remember watching that episode on a 10" B&W when it was just that week's new episode. It seemed kind of cheesy at the time.

Here's last month's total solar eclipse compressed into a 30 second movie. Watch the terminator (Day/Night edge) move across the sky.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121210.html
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Kirk wrote:
Here's last month's total solar eclipse compressed into a 30 second movie. Watch the terminator (Day/Night edge) move across the sky.

did you notice the UFO that appears in the lower left at 0:20, and disappears at 0:27 ?
Yeah, nice sundog
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Not an UFO and not a sundog. It's Kukulkan arriving for the 21st.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Kirk wrote:

did you notice the UFO that appears in the lower left at 0:20, and disappears at 0:27 ?

Um, do you mean the small dark object that appears just over the horizon line in the lower RIGHT?

My guess is that it is an airship/blimp that is washed out by the sun during the first part of the video. You can start "seeing" the airship because it gets covered by the eclipse shadow while the sky behind it is still lit, then eventually that part of the sky is in shadow so the airship "disappears".
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Um, do you mean the small dark object that appears just over the horizon line in the lower RIGHT?

My guess is that it is an airship/blimp that is washed out by the sun during the first part of the video. You can start "seeing" the airship because it gets covered by the eclipse shadow while the sky behind it is still lit, then eventually that part of the sky is in shadow so the airship "disappears".

Yes, right. Sorry. It's the old x-ray tech in me, I think of R & L in images as if from the perspective of the image facing me.
" the small dark object that appears just over the horizon line in the lower RIGHT?" is exactly what I'm talking about.

Blimp ? Really ?
Next you'll be saying that's it's something NOT extraterrestrial !

also;

Kirk wrote:
Yeah, nice sundog

Yeah, man. I'm hip to Sundogs.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ok. I've decided it's a cloud.
There are others on the left at the same altitude that do a similar disappearing trick.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Ok. I've decided it's a cloud.
There are others on the left at the same altitude that do a similar disappearing trick.

Yeah, on second thought I agree: a cloud. Its relative symmetry made me think airship, but considering the apparent distances involved it would have to be a frickin' huge one.
Worldview is NASA's new interactive map of the 'blue marble' images. I wish zoom went deeper.
http://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldvie ... geographic

Here's an article describing some of it.
http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/10/black ... s-miracle/
What's that symbol mean and which civilization is it from?
Kirk wrote:

That's Kukulkan, Maya
Ah cool. I've been to Chichen Itza. Its an impressive temple city.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv
ukimalefu wrote:
Kirk wrote:

That's Kukulkan, Maya

I knew that.

Mostly because he was featured in an episode of Star Trek The Animated Series and I therefore read his Wikipedia page. :D
DukeofNuke wrote:

Triceratops surrounded by snakes?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I'd prefer a Flux Capacitor.
user Stupid cockwomble
It's an automatic????
That's academic. Once a jet or rocket engine is installed, there ain't no gear box anymore.

Also that isn't street legal anywhere. I suspect its a photochop.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk wrote:
That's academic. Once a jet or rocket engine is installed, there ain't no gear box anymore.

Also that isn't street legal anywhere. I suspect its a photochop.

The picture is a link. If he photoshopped it, he went to a hell of a lot of trouble, since he shows pictures of the entire thing as it was being built.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
I should learn to click images to see if they're links. I still don't believe its street legal.
Kirk wrote:
I should learn to click images to see if they're links. I still don't believe its street legal.

No need to click, just mouse over and see if the cursor changes.
It is street legal in the narrow and not terribly relevant sense that the factory emission controls are in place. The presence of that jet engine, improperly secured and contained, inside the passenger compartment and projecting out the back of the car is almost certainly enough to get it pulled off the street for a safety violation. Actually running the jet engine on the street is absolutely an impound and destroy safety violation.
user Stupid cockwomble
Apparently, from the website, Homeland Security is attempting to designate it a hazard for some bizarre reason.

(He uses the automatic while driving with the org. engine. It just seemed odd that someone who wanted that sort of speed wouldn't have a stick to begin with.)
Its certainly a hazard to the car behind him if he fires up that jet engine without sufficient space to the rear.
If he's going to do that, why use a VW? I mean jeez.
user wrote:
Apparently, from the website, Homeland Security is attempting to designate it a hazard for some bizarre reason.

(He uses the automatic while driving with the org. engine. It just seemed odd that someone who wanted that sort of speed wouldn't have a stick to begin with.)

Cars have steering wheels so maybe they are "re-imagining" the law which prohibits guidance systems in model rockets?
Some of us really like cable knit sweaters. . .

Uh huh, just because something can be made doesn't mean it should.
If my wife ever made that, I don't think I'd model it and post pics. ;)
Maybe his Mommy made it for him? Kinda hard to say no in that case.

I gotta say though, I lived in -40 C for a few winters and I'm pretty sure that suit would be a little much in those conditions. Maybe for working the Kolyma gold fields?
It's a stillsuit from Dune!
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
rjprice wrote:
Some of us really like cable knit sweaters. . .

Oh God wearing that would be sensory hell.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 913