The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808 ... 826
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
sturner Ancient Soldier
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

source just said "modem"

I don't know if that was real. I think that's what John Connor used to hack ATMs and break into the lab that had the terminator chip.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"Windowing" Unix ?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I guess that refers to the GUI, rather a Microsoft OS ... ?
maurvir Meat popsicle
1) Unix didn't start with a GUI, so Xwindows was added MUCH later. You can, on most Unix/Linux systems, kill Xwindows (or whatever GUI) and get dropped back to a shell - usually bash or csh, but sometimes sh. This is the "terminal" in MacOS X. Nextstep, which ran BSD 4.3/4.4 on a Mach kernel, made the windowing system more integrated, but I believe it was still a killable process.

2) Modern MacOS X was, more or less, Nextstep, but with support for Mac apps. It has obviously diverged a great deal, but there is still a significant amount of BSD userland under the hood. I believe Xcode allows for command line based builds using MAKE even.

3) Those Next cubes were made of magnesium. While hard to do, if you could light them on fire, they made for a rather spectacular fire.

Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas
TOS
"you owe me everything, fuckbag" -- gene, probably
Yori Program
ukimalefu posted:

I don't know if that was real. I think that's what John Connor used to hack ATMs and break into the lab that had the terminator chip.

They were real.
TOS
i wrote my first novel on this, 30 years ago ... it was a dedicated word processor in a laptop

best machine for writing i've ever used

maurvir Meat popsicle
I remember those, but even then I never understood why you would want an "electronic typewriter" when a "personal computer" could do all the same things and vastly more. By the time those Smith Corona machines got displays large enough to write with (like the one below) the modern laptop was already a thing. I believe they even cost about the same too, since they were essentially computers with a very limited set of software. Once WordPerfect came out, with it's full screen mode, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a dedicated word processor.
dv
maurvir posted:
I remember those, but even then I never understood why you would want an "electronic typewriter" when a "personal computer" could do all the same things and vastly more. By the time those Smith Corona machines got displays large enough to write with (like the one below) the modern laptop was already a thing. I believe they even cost about the same too, since they were essentially computers with a very limited set of software. Once WordPerfect came out, with it's full screen mode, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a dedicated word processor.

Because they're simpler, booted faster, and crashed less. Perfect for somebody who thought computers were probably a fad.

Same reason people like using tablets for surfing the web, or the entire argument in favor of internet "appliances" back in the late '90s. Sometimes (often? usually?) a simple single-function device doesn't have to compromise on its primary functionality in order to accommodate other functions.
dv
TOS
maurvir posted:

i had both, but i wrote with the smith-corona because: it was fast, totally able to keep up with my typing (still a problem i have to this day); it was stable as hell; the spell/grammar check was absolutely fantastic; it was dedicated -- fire it up and start working, no screwing around, no load screens, just start typing

best

word

processor

evar
user Stupid cockwomble
I had one of those. Abandoned it with my house. I think it was on the front porch.
user Stupid cockwomble
who's a GOOD boy?
maurvir Meat popsicle
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS
dv
dv
Not a big cologne guy, but I'd buy it:

maurvir Meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

The artist used the right Doctor; the only Doctor. So kudos.
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS
Ribtor posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The artist used the right Doctor; the only Doctor. So kudos.

for once you and i are in agreement
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

I used to drive by that thing all the time. It looks far better in pictures than it does in person. It always looked slapped together and cheap to me, the brick work, windows and weird top were not in harmony with each other making it look like it was made of leftovers.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

A perfect example of the kind of safety last thinking you find in the South.
macnuke Afar
we call those peñata's here in Texas
been a while since I saw them playing it that way tho.
TOS
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

I used to drive by that thing all the time. It looks far better in pictures than it does in person. It always looked slapped together and cheap to me, the brick work, windows and weird top were not in harmony with each other making it look like it was made of leftovers.

so ... you're more of a leg man?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

so ... you're more of a leg man?

:lol:
dv
user Stupid cockwomble
that's extraordinarily dickish, even for you
juice Inadvertently correct
Jim Henson with The Muppets of 1970

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 802, 803, 804, 805, 806, 807, 808 ... 826