The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805 ... 868
Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
*squint*

if that's a BMW it may be rwd

It's an animated gif. Why don't you watch it.

Animated gif wasn't working on firefox
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Quote:
Want to send a photo by telephone in the 1970s? You’re looking at the United Press International UPI Model 16-S photo transmitter. The photo would spin in the drum and one line at a time would be sent. Typically it’d take 26 minutes for one photo!

i remember seeing one of those in a storeroom at a big media outlet and thinking it was pretty impressive technology ... i imagined banks of them whirring away at some saigon bureau
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
*squint*

Didn't work in Safari, either.
TOS
inside flint's abandoned central high school

built in the 1920s, it was once the model of modern secondary education

dv
ukimalefu posted:

Hah. I have one of those. :-)
user Stupid cockwomble
Pithecanthropus posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
*squint*

A whole lot of gifs posted here don't work. I've given up on them.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
no way gifv works only on chrome... on my extremely old version of chrome

also, there's a setting in the forum preferences
user Stupid cockwomble
I've done that setting, tried other browsers, loaded into a new tab - feh, if the gif won't work generally, don't bother posting it or I won't bother trying to see it.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

A female or male wrist?
Pithecanthropus posted:
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
*squint*

They do. The poster just needs to make sure they link to the gif on imgur(not the "mp4" link and not the "gifv" link), and the viewer just needs to make sure they checked the .gifv videos should load instead of .gif files when possible box in each browser the first time they're viewing the site in that browser.

I just verified this in the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
user Stupid cockwomble
Hmmmm.....that setting isn't sticky?

I just looked and it was unchecked even though I had checked it months ago.
That setting is per browser, not per account.

It's stored in your browser's cookies, not in any settings on the site itself.

The same is true for a few of the other settings on that page.

Basically, settings that don't work when javascript is disabled don't get displayed as possibilities for you in the settings when javascript is disabled.

Those setting options get added to that page by using javascript because they require javascript, and the settings are applied using javascript.

I always include the date when I last modified files, and I haven't changed the javascript used for that since about two years ago.

It does work and it does stick, but you have to set it in a browser the first time you use it. It will stick unless you clear your cookies for the site. If you clear your cookies or if you only browse in incognito windows then the setting won't stick.

I set that script up way way back in the day, and I don't think I've ever changed that snippet of code. It's worked in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari since the day it was put in, but a lot of people didn't use javascript or cleared their cookies or viewed the site in incognito windows or used multiple browsers and didn't ever set the setting in at least some of the browsers they used.
dv
obvs posted:
A female or male wrist?

Quite male. ;)
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Archimedes?

RISCOS?

never heard of them
Yori Program
The Acorn Archimedes was the successor to the BBC Micro back in the late 80s. It's where the ARM CPU family originated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Archimedes
A lot--but not all--animated GIFs fail to work on my iPhone's Safari. Hmm...just checking around I see that SOME (all?) of the "working" animations are posts by uki although he posted them as .GIF and not .GIFX such as the UPI photo transmitter to which TOS added his comment above on this page of this string.

Yes, Javascript is on.

Yes, the checkbox for GIFV is set.

On the other hand, I know that most if not all of the GIFV videos will work on my MBP's Safari.
It seems that some people whose browsers improperly handle images(and I'm looking at you, Safari) have gotten used to posting links in various ways that aren't standard, doing things like trying to link to the mp4, the gifv, or the imgur link without an extension.

If people post links to imgur gifs(and not to the gifv), they should work just fine, and I haven't seen any that don't.

But I tested extensively in Safari when I added the javascript, and it worked.

As of now, though, Safari accepts non-standard image tags, meaning that if someone tries to link to a file that's not actually an image, Safari will still try to load it as an image, so a lot of people who use Safari have gotten used to seeing "images" that work for them and thinking that they're actually images, and then they'll copy the code for them or the URL used, and other people will have problems, and the people who use Safari will blame everyone but Apple. It's kind of the same thing that happened years ago with Microsoft and Internet Explorer.

Meanwhile, all other major browsers handle images correctly now.

And the code I used to load imgur links as images wasn't even new. It's something that's been around for many years. And like I said, when I coded this place I made sure that as far as I could tell every page was 100% correct XHTML, and I coded the javascript to meet very strict javascript coding standards. I wanted there to be as little variation in the way browsers handle this site as is possible. But Safari is broken in a lot of ways(also using nonstandard css).

Generally, if something doesn't work on a web page, the user blames the site, but from everything that I've experienced, that's entirely misplaced for Safari users. It's like Apple's not even trying. It seems that Apple's main purpose for WebKit(the underlying technology Safari uses to layout pages) isn't to lay out other people's web pages, but instead mostly its own(in the form of its various stores).
ukimalefu dysfunctional
obvs posted:
If people post links to imgur gifs(and not to the gifv), they should work just fine, and I haven't seen any that don't.

I always copy gif URLs from imgur as .gif, and those get turned into .gifv here. I've noticed the same happens when other people post them, And they always work for me.

You know what doesn't work for me? twitter video. But I blame that one on my old version of chrome AND twitter. MOstly twitter, since most things work for me (except that absolutely require newer versions of chrome, like webgl)

I believe people using browsers other than chrome should set the forum display option to NOT use gifv.

Ok, I admit some gifs from imgur, a few, only load as a still image when using .gif, but most work as expected.
TOS
TOS
jkahless Custom Title
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Pretty cool they were already using Quartz. ;)
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
TOS posted:

A thread for neat-o sci-fi art would be fun.
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Naoyuki Sato 1987
TOS
looks like a cartoon in the new yorker
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
That's some real hot wheels!
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS
that's the only way to handle protesters
ukimalefu dysfunctional
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
that's the only way to handle protesters

Especially brown ones.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

No word on what the special sauce is, though...
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804, 805 ... 868