The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796 ... 868
Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot]
dv
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
That is actually a really good idea.
juice Inadvertently correct
It is except the additional plastic waste.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
You know, when the bananas start to get ugly black spots, they're still good. The parts that get darker and softer look bad, but they don't taste bad, and it won't' hurt to eat them.

Putting them in the fridge slows down the process.
I prefer slightly green bananas. Not as sweet or soft.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
You know, when the bananas start to get ugly black spots, they're still good. The parts that get darker and softer look bad, but they don't taste bad, and it won't' hurt to eat them.

What sorcery is this? Putting bananas in the fridge usually makes mine go black faster.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

What sorcery is this? Putting bananas in the fridge usually makes mine go black faster.

That's correct. Grocery stores do not refrigerate bananas or tomatoes for that reason.
juice posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

That's correct. Grocery stores do not refrigerate bananas or tomatoes for that reason.

Bananas will turn black, but generally still be edible (at least as ingredients). Stores don't refrigerate them because black, nasty looking fruit doesn't sell outside a certain Vegan crowd.

Tomatoes, on the other hand, are a bit different. The conventional wisdom is that they will lose their flavor in the fridge due to the cold. This is partly true, but it's mostly true for fruit that isn't yet ripe - putting a not-quite-ripe tomato in the fridge will keep it from fully developing flavor. Fully ripe tomatoes don't seem to be harmed as much. The trick is that a lot of grocers buy tomatoes that are red, but not necessarily ripe, to maximize shelf-life. If you think the modern varieties have no taste, imagine a fruit that is essentially red-colored water.

I have put vine-ripened tomatoes in the fridge and they came out just as tasty as the never-refrigerated ones.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

ok, so don't do that.

If you can't eat them all before they get too ugly, maybe you shouldn't buy them.

My mother sometimes lets plantains go black on purpose, then bakes them. They're great that way.

Banana bread is made with over ripe bananas and is delicious, but I haven't made it at home for 25 years.
juice posted:
Banana bread is made with over ripe bananas and is delicious, but I haven't made it at home for 25 years.

Same with banana pudding. Slightly over ripe bananas make that SO much better.
Thin slice bananas lengthwise and fry the slices in butter and serve them over ice cream. Don't let the sugars caramelise too much.
dv
juice posted:

Why not? It's easy.

I'm not allowed to make it anymore because, well, we eat it.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:

IMHO a Banana is at it's best when it is fully yellow with evenly dispersed small black freckles.
dv posted:
juice posted:

Why not? It's easy.

I'm not allowed to make it anymore because, well, we eat it.

Same reason.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The skins will blacken faster, but the insides will be less affected.
TOS
The background of the phrase “banana republic”
TOS posted:

While not excusing what happened, I would point out that Chiquita was essentially paying off the Columbian equivalent of mobsters. Had they NOT paid them off, there is little doubt they would have been targeted for kidnappings, sabotage, etc., and there wasn't squat all the actual government could do about it. Still a crime, but given we are talking about Columbia, it feels more like "Tuesday" than "massive human rights violation".

I find the blurb where one of the individuals involved was more worried about his profile attracting kidnappers than about breaking any laws rather telling.
TOS
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

While not excusing what happened, I would point out that Chiquita was essentially paying off the Columbian equivalent of mobsters. Had they NOT paid them off, there is little doubt they would have been targeted for kidnappings, sabotage, etc., and there wasn't squat all the actual government could do about it. Still a crime, but given we are talking about Columbia, it feels more like "Tuesday" than "massive human rights violation".

I find the blurb where one of the individuals involved was more worried about his profile attracting kidnappers than about breaking any laws rather telling.

right ... they had no choice but to aid crimes against humanity

similarly, the company had no choice but to overthrow a democratically elected government in guatemala then help fund decades of genocidal civil war

poor guys, i mean they're the real victims here
TOS
user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:

"That ain't funny, man..."
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
i remember that movie ... apes from planet of the apes make their way to earth (of their past), but their baby becomes the talking ape who overthrows humanity

then the next movie takes place in the future, where humans have made slaves of apes, and that baby leads a revolution ... i think that was my favourite of the movies
I remember when they would play each of the Planet of the Apes movies on consecutive Friday nights as the "Movie of the week"

My brother and I had VERY similar bathrobes as Cornelius does. I am surprised I didn't take instant notice.
ukimalefu posted:

Not really that impressive.
If he (or she?)makes a mistake it is no big deal.
A new arm grows back right?
dv
Speaking of ripening bananas:

dv
dv posted:

Love Buster Keaton

Some of the stuff he dreamed up and executed were amazing.
TOS
dv posted:

i remember as a kid watching 8mm shorts of harold lloyd and buster keaton, they were so damn awesome
TOS
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
dv posted:

i remember as a kid watching 8mm shorts of harold lloyd and buster keaton, they were so damn awesome

They did some stunning practical effects back then, often fairly dangerous.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:

they also made great use of camera tricks like perspective ... harold lloyd and the clock is a perfect example
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:

I wanted Mace Windu to talk like that. It's not funny when Obi Wan does it.
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:

His most famous one was the house facade (apparently two tons) falling on him, but he is standing directly where the window was. Legend has it he marked his spot by eye.

There is a scene in the General where he is on a rail car that has a Civil War mortar and he is doing a gag, while it is armed. He's having an extended klutzy moment where he is wrestling with the thing--at one point his head is in it (or as I recall), then at the last second he flips it over, just as the lead train is going around the bend, and the mortar goes off and hits the train his train is chasing. Again, legend has it he did this stunt with very little preparation.
He was something of an engineering genius.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Metacell posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The skins will blacken faster, but the insides will be less affected.

Apparently my grandfather used to watch for this one grocery store to put out bananas in the late fall. Then he would hold the door open longer than necessary to give them a blast of cold air. They skins would go black and he would harass the produce manager to give him a better price. Once they figured out his game, they didn’t display them close enough to the front door any longer. :D
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795, 796 ... 868