The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795 ... 852
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
Photographer says LIDAR system on self-driving car damaged his camera:

The "lights" in the sky are where the LIDAR burned out the sensors inside his camera (the line in the picture is an occasional artifact). The maker of the LIDAR system has offered to replace the $2 K camera.

AEye--the LIDAR maker--uses a 1550 nm laser which has the advantage of being opaque for the fluid inside human eyes. As a result they can use more powerful lasers than most LIDAR systems, BUT this does make anything without similar protection like camera sensors vulnerable to damage.

I read this article a few days ago. The problem is that camera based systems are becoming more common, so I suspect that these high power LIDAR systems are going to be a no-go. They can afford to replace one journalist's $2k camera. I doubt they will be able to afford to replace all of the damaged cameras on other cars, though.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

stir that human waste you saucy wench
TOS
TOS
obvs precoupado
Be sure to read the fine print.

dv
TOS
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
TOS posted:

Another Darwin award winner, doing the hikes in summer I can see, but in winter.
TOS
Séamas Honorary Consul General
arkayn posted:
TOS posted:

Another Darwin award winner, doing the hikes in summer I can see, but in winter.

Even in summer the footwear are a very bad idea.
There is a pretty decent hike not far from me that unfortunately has a terrific name and a train stop at the base, so it attracts a high number of very inexperienced hikers coming up from NYC, who decide that wearing flip flops or slides is a reasonable idea.
The hike is no Everest, but has plenty of places where you need to be sure footed--so emergency workers are hiking this area frequently to take care of people with broken bones.
I remember doing the Delicate Arch trail at Arches national park. Knowing it was the freaking desert, with little more than scrub brush to shield you from the sun, we started early - about 5:30AM as I recall. It was still dark enough to see the stars, and fairly cool - probably about 55. It's actually not that bad a grade, but it is unrelenting and at a high altitude.

It was a great hike, largely because we were more than halfway up when the sun line met us (you could actually see the line between light and shadow moving down the rock - that was incredible to watch). Having worn proper hiking boots, I was perfectly comfortable, if a bit winded. As an aside, once the sun caught up with you, the temperature shot up by tens of degrees. It was wild, because you could hike back down into shadow and feel the difference.

Then we saw the people who left AFTER sun up wearing sandals and flip-flops. I have no idea how these people made it. It's roughly a mile to the arch, uphill the entire way and the rock was already baking by the time we headed down.
dv
That might be the most hilariously evil thing I have ever viewed.
maurvir posted:

Then we saw the people who left AFTER sun up wearing sandals and flip-flops. I have no idea how these people made it. It's roughly a mile to the arch, uphill the entire way and the rock was already baking by the time we headed down.

In my experience, especially in mountains and ridges in my neck of the woods, the walk down is often as tricky as the climb up, and probably where choice of footwear makes the biggest difference. A lot of the trails near us are littered with with rock of various size, either bedrock poking through or ones anywhere between the size of a shoebox to a refrigerator, so a good number of them can wobble unexpectedly.
juice Inadvertently correct
Séamas posted:
maurvir posted:

In my experience, especially in mountains and ridges in my neck of the woods, the walk down is often as tricky as the climb up, and probably where choice of footwear makes the biggest difference. A lot of the trails near us are littered with with rock of various size, either bedrock poking through or ones anywhere between the size of a shoebox to a refrigerator, so a good number of them can wobble unexpectedly.

When I walked a trail at the Grand Canyon I found the trip down to be tough on my knees. It was an old copper mining trail so it had been cut to accommodate mule teams. Lots of stairs.
juice posted:
Séamas posted:
maurvir posted:

When I walked a trail at the Grand Canyon I found the trip down to be tough on my knees. It was an old copper mining trail so it had been cut to accommodate mule teams. Lots of stairs.

LOL I know that feeling.
There is a section of the Appalachian trail near us that we hike frequently--it's the oldest section, going up to Bear mountain--only 1,200 feet, but the first 800 or so are basically tall stairs cut from granite, so each step coming down is 12-15 inches or so. Definitely hurts the knees.
TOS
dv
dv
dv
dv
dv
TOS
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795 ... 852