The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 867
Online now: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional
All-in-one Integrated Keyboard by Kazuo Kawasaki. Mid 90’s

TOS
a-10 over syria

ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional

A 1979 interview with Gary Kurtz where he talks about both the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy he and George Lucas have planned.

(yes, it looks like there was more, but that's all the source had)
ukimalefu dysfunctional
obvs My password is "contraseña"
TOS
TOS
obvs posted:

oh dear
TOS
obvs My password is "contraseña"
ukimalefu dysfunctional

ad from 1956

where are all the wall mounted fridges now?
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

ad from 1956

where are all the wall mounted fridges now?

not only does that not look convenient, it looks downright dangerous
TOS
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv
TOS posted:

If anybody is curious, that was the sound of my arteries hardening.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
TOS posted:

They're gonna do that as you get older anyway. Might as well enjoy a hearty breakfast!
macnuke Afar
that's what stents are for yes?
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

They're gonna do that as you get older anyway. Might as well enjoy a hearty breakfast!

what's that old saying? if one sin will get you to hell you may as well sin like crazy and go down there a boss
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
macnuke posted:

:up:
Got mine! Got yours?
TOS
in that case, chow down!

TOS
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke posted:
macnuke posted:

:up:
Got mine! Got yours?

and the cards to prove it. :p
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
You beat me, I just got 3!
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

lately i've taken to watching youtube videos of guys trying to get ancient computers working, particularly old apollo flight computers

the whole thing baffles me, but it's still cool
macnuke Afar
read the UNIX manual... problem solved
TOS
i don't think they used unix, at least not the computer in the lander

it was something involving nouns and something? assembly language? i dunno
"Hidden Photo Optical Illusion":

To see the image, do one of two things:

1) if you can put such images on a phone or tablet, do something with that screen such as shake the screen back and forth, or just move the screen left and right or close then far, any screen movement, or

2) on a standard computer monitor do the equivalent with your head by shaking it or moving it relative to screen side to side or close then far.

If you were like me and saw the image immediately (because I am using my iPhone), then look around the center while trying to keep the screen still relative to your head.
user Stupid cockwomble
remington made everything
TOS posted:
i don't think they used unix, at least not the computer in the lander

it was something involving nouns and something? assembly language? i dunno

There was Fortran which was first developed in 1957, but as described in the book "Hidden Figures" even NASA didn't get its first Fortran computer until around the start of the Mercury program. The first test rockets before that relied upon human "computers"--called that because they were people doing computations on paper or chalkboard--who were mostly women, a significant and key number of them being black.
TOS
Even after those Fortran computers were doing the calculations for the Mercury program, John Glenn demanded: "Get me that girl"--she being the blessed Katherine Johnson--"and have her check these numbers."--pointing to a stack of computer printouts for his mission--"If she says that they're good, that is good enough for me." Perhaps not an exact quote, but close enough to get the gist.
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
Even after those Fortran computers were doing the calculations for the Mercury program, John Glenn demanded: "Get me that girl"--she being the blessed Katherine Johnson--"and have her check these numbers."--pointing to a stack of computer printouts for his mission--"If she says that they're good, that is good enough for me." Perhaps not an exact quote, but close enough to get the gist.

This was dramatized in “Hidden Figures“. Good movie.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
"Hidden Photo Optical Illusion":

To see the image, do one of two things:

1) if you can put such images on a phone or tablet, do something with that screen such as shake the screen back and forth, or just move the screen left and right or close then far, any screen movement, or

2) on a standard computer monitor do the equivalent with your head by shaking it or moving it relative to screen side to side or close then far.

If you were like me and saw the image immediately (because I am using my iPhone), then look around the center while trying to keep the screen still relative to your head.

*squints hard, not following any of the directions*

Oh, a cat.
juice posted:
DEyncourt posted:

This was dramatized in “Hidden Figures“. Good movie.

I agree, but the movie version suffers from the usual time- and character-compression that ALL scripts based on books must go through.

To get a fuller--though of course incomplete--look at the blatant racism and misogyny those women faced in the Virginia countryside surrounding Langley Research Center (and a lot inside LRC), read the book.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 782, 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788 ... 867