The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763 ... 867
Online now: Google [Bot]
dv

I'm... not sure the guy who ended up with a ferret instead of a dog got a raw deal. Ferrets are really cool.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
dv posted:

He might have sold it had he bothered to shave. That number might have otherwise been cute on him.
TOS
TOS
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional

those beams won't help

Last edited by arkayn on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 pm. Adding a link to provice context to the image.

TOS
"just needs a little spackle"
obvs My password is "contraseña"
You know where I would not park my car?
dv
obvs posted:

They were probably parked there before and the owners aren't allowed to try to get them. So more like, "let 'em go, because man, they're gone."
TOS
"honey, i found the perfect spot!"
macnuke Afar
at least those workers are safe.... they have their hard hats on so good to go yes?
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I'm kind of amazed that there was time to get those girders up.
From that picture the building looks not stable enough to stay like that for more than a few hours--if that.
If they can stabilize it, I'll bet you could get a sweet deal on rent.
sean Royal Wombat
macnuke posted:
at least those workers are safe.... they have their hard hats on so good to go yes?

I was thinking that. I am pretty sure I wouldn't stand where they are standing. If that building decides to lay over, they are not going to outrun it.

Here's another, even more pants-shittingly-terrifying, view:
What happened? Just shoddy workmanship?
macnuke Afar
the usual.. everything is built by the lowest bidder.
Betonhaus posted:

Apparently part of the first four floors pancaked, at least on one side.

While the earthquake was fairly substantial at magnitude 6.4, Taiwan does have buiilding standards designed for earthquakes, but "Taiwan indicts three over deadly quake building collapse in February". A fast summary of "shoddy workmanship" is more-or-less adequate.
obvs posted:

Those are load-bearing cars now.
MacAddict4Life posted:
obvs posted:

Those are load-bearing cars now.
What about the ones on the opposite side of the street?
And oh my God, there are people on the roof!
DEyncourt posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Apparently part of the first four floors pancaked, at least on one side.

While the earthquake was fairly substantial at magnitude 6.4, Taiwan does have buiilding standards designed for earthquakes, but "Taiwan indicts three over deadly quake building collapse in February". A fast summary of "shoddy workmanship" is more-or-less adequate.

Taiwan has pretty good seismic safety codes (out of necessity). However it also has a demonstrated history of them being ignored. If this building was built before 1996 or so, building inspections were often replaced by bribes, and there was an unfortunate tendency to essentially replace portions of concrete with trash to save money. Post-2000 this situation has supposedly gotten better, though a couple of years ago some rather new buildings in Tainan came down when they shouldn't have. It turns out they used cooking oil cans in the concrete to reduce concrete used and costs. I don't know when the Hualien buildings were built, but from the looks of them it was awhile ago. Covering buildings with tile like that was more common before 2000, so there's a good chance that's an older building, though I'm not sure. It also appears that this may have been a product of incompetence rather than outright negligence.

Incidentally, I've been told that penalties for the owners when that kind of fraudulent, negligent construction has happened can be as severe as execution of people were killed in the building failure. Supposedly there are cases of this actually happening after the big quake in 1999, though I have never heard details. I believe the owner of the buildings in Tainan that collapsed fled the country to avoid prosecution, though this is a half-remember news article.
obvs posted:

I'm wondering how stabilized the building is. That second photo shows what appears to be a long-range cement pumping truck.
user Stupid cockwomble
they put the damn eiffel on the roof
macnuke Afar
it needs tipping. there ain't no saving that one.
user Stupid cockwomble
nuke it from orbit
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
MacAddict4Life posted:
obvs posted:

I'm wondering how stabilized the building is. That second photo shows what appears to be a long-range cement pumping truck.

I do not think those are people, it looks like they might be air vents.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
That seems awfully funny until you consider there are people who might take that at face value. :worriedfrown:
Hence the Darwin awards.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
That seems awfully funny until you consider there are people who might take that at face value. :worriedfrown:

I flatter this forum by posting this here, I would never dare on Facebook. :goth:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:

I flatter this forum by posting this here, I would never dare on Facebook. :goth:

Hold my beer.
TOS
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Possibly fun, but I think I'd still prefer a wave runner.

And I wonder what's on the screen. No way it's speed, or depth.
TOS
that'll fix your back right up

I've been working on the railroad,

all the live long day. ♫
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:

those beams won't help

Buildings are light and strong, those I beams are beefy, and they're trying to slow what's probably soil liquifaction so they can potentially save lives. I'd say they're they're likely to help.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
jkahless posted:

Buildings are light and strong, those I beams are beefy, and they're trying to slow what's probably soil liquifaction so they can potentially save lives. I'd say they're they're likely to help.

I hope by the time they put those up there was nobody inside. But that building is coming down.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Hmm, I didn't realize BASIC wasn't a part of the package for the 400. I had the Atari 800XL, and BASIC was the default program.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 757, 758, 759, 760, 761, 762, 763 ... 867