The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707 ... 914
Online now: Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
2001, I like it, a lot, have seen it a few times, but I still think it's only for true sci-fi fans because it's loooong, and slooow...

Yeah, it feels that way now, but anyone (everyone?) needs to see it in a theater if you can. Biggest screen you can find. It's one of those movies that doesn't translate well to the small screen; and I'm not just talking about the stargate sequence. Everything from the African savanna to the waltz of the spaceships to the introduction of Discovery to Dave's bedroom is emotionally amplified by the big screen. It's a visual movie. The entire dialog script is probably less than twenty pages. There's no talking in the first half hour, or the last half hour.
Anybody who has only seen it on a tv or computer screen really needs to try to see it on a big screen. It's a totally different film experience.
TOS
Metacell posted:
Oh I wish they would make a 3d version of that! I would even go to a Phish concert to score some acid! (I've seen it at the theater before).

funny you should say that ... 2001 was a total flop, but then stoned hippies started showing up at midnight screenings and as word spread it became a hit
TOS
TOS
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
hold my catnip
ukimalefu posted:
[snip]
2001, I like it, a lot, have seen it a few times, but I still think it's only for true sci-fi fans because it's loooong, and slooow...

Heh. I got to see 2001 in the Cinerama Dome. During its first run.

Admittedly I basically was just going along with the ride, my 11-year-old brother being the main reason for our family seeing 2001 when I was only 9. I think my mother stayed at home with my 5-year-old sister.

But I did trip out...during the scenes aboard the various spacecraft. I can recall staring in amazement at the scene of the flight attendant stewardess standing in the rotary well waiting for it to get to her proper step-off point:

And the spacecraft exteriors! And the landing/docking sequences! I DRANK them in!

Dave Bowman's psychedelic flight at the movie's end actually bored me. I ALMOST fell asleep--it was an evening showing--but snapped back to attention during the bedroom scene.

I did NOT understand the final shot. Heck, I didn't have any knowledge of sex at that time so I think I can be excused.

While I WISH I could say that 2001 was the start of my lifelong appreciation of science fiction, it was at least 4 years until I got first SF book.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
2001 was an excellent example of "show, don't say" in a movie. It didn't need a lot of dialog because you were visually presented with the 'reality' instead. Which is one reason why, despite its dated look, technology, etc., it still holds up well. That, and it was an intensely philosophical movie.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
No jet packs in 2001.

There is a iPad like tablet though.
Cirque du Soleil

I know that human hair is very strong, and they train for this and all, but, ow! ow! ow!

so where's MY pot of gold?
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
[snip]

Heh. I got to see 2001 in the Cinerama Dome. During its first run.

Admittedly I basically was just going along with the ride, my 11-year-old brother being the main reason for our family seeing 2001 when I was only 9. I think my mother stayed at home with my 5-year-old sister.

But I did trip out...during the scenes aboard the various spacecraft. I can recall staring in amazement at the scene of the flight attendant stewardess standing in the rotary well waiting for it to get to her proper step-off point:

And the spacecraft exteriors! And the landing/docking sequences! I DRANK them in!

Dave Bowman's psychedelic flight at the movie's end actually bored me. I ALMOST fell asleep--it was an evening showing--but snapped back to attention during the bedroom scene.

I did NOT understand the final shot. Heck, I didn't have any knowledge of sex at that time so I think I can be excused.

While I WISH I could say that 2001 was the start of my lifelong appreciation of science fiction, it was at least 4 years until I got first SF book.

i like to relate the story told to me by an old family friend (long dead) who was in the movie ... at the premiere he was baffled by that end bit so he went up to kubrick and said, "stanley, what's it all about?"

kubrick responded with a shrug and said, "you tell me"

though of course it's all explained in the novel
TOS
dv
Probably just the payday-night drinking, but I laughed waaaay too hard at this.

tools.jpg
jkahless Custom Title
I hope it comes loose should have been a breaker bar, and I wasn’t asking should be a breaker bar with 12 foot of thick walled pipe. Still hilarious.
jkahless Custom Title
(My context might be a bit irregular, when to me a large piston head is the size of a smart car and there are ladders built into the insides of engines.
Commander Biker dreams of brunette punk Jeannie

some people were true visionaries, or this is fake

allegedly from Popular Mechanics 1954

macnuke Afar
meanwhile in Japan
That is dangerously close to needing a move over to the "WTF, I can't even" thread.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
TOS posted:

I cannot stop laughing at the I can't believe it's not butter. :lol:
TOS
the new ford bronco (apparently)

No, that is not a Bronco.
TOS
freakin' internet

Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:

so where's MY pot of gold?

I like the two mythical (and pretty pagan) creatures under a caption about another mythical creature.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
maurvir posted:

You are correct, this is a Bronco.
macnuke Afar
Nope....

THIS is a bronco
TOS posted:

It should've been a 2 door design or at the least if they wanted 4 doors they could have hidden the extra doors like the FJ Cruiser does.
TOS
Aaron_R posted:
TOS posted:

It should've been a 2 door design or at the least if they wanted 4 doors they could have hidden the extra doors like the FJ Cruiser does.

yes indeed ... this design is quite a disappointment

however the suv market is the only real growth segment in the industry right now so from a business perspective they kind of had no choice
TOS
sean Royal Wombat
maurvir posted:

That appears to be a badly potato-chopped Ford Escape...
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
macnuke posted:
meanwhile in Japan

I'm pretty sure that's from China.

dual floppy drive laptop, and a robot, and... some other devices, where is that future?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I had that tv
user Stupid cockwomble
It's Heathkit, man. Not the future, you could get all of those kits then.

I've got a vacuum tube radio from them and a big-ass multimeter.
Who didn't want an oscilloscope on their living room coffee table?
user Stupid cockwomble
I did. I really wanted that kit.
I used to drool over that stuff. Unfortunately, our family was too poor to live in the future. :(
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707 ... 914