The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Can't you do the same thing with one of those DIANA toy cameras that has a light leak?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Tweet with photograph showing 6-year-old Teddy Roosevelt (in circle in upper left) watching Lincoln's funeral cortage when it went through NYC in April 1865.
user Stupid cockwomble
Rooney Mara as Mary Magdalene smoking a cigarette beneath crucified Jesus

show true love with meat

Enterprise and Discovery

dv
ukimalefu posted:
Enterprise and Discovery

Too bad they leave the fairings on the backs from transport. Then again, don't want people to realize they took the engines out, either.

And Discovery has obviously seen some human waste.
ukimalefu posted:
Enterprise and Discovery

TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Enterprise and Discovery

i think i know which one has been to space
Enterprise is way better.

how did that thing work? I believe it wasn't infrared, so how did it transmit radio frequencies with that grill in the front? or was it something else?
Yori Program
Early remotes used high-pitched audio tones. I remember being able to play "Teddy bears' picnic" on a friends' TV remote.
Yori posted:
Early remotes used high-pitched audio tones. I remember being able to play "Teddy bears' picnic" on a friends' TV remote.

huh

I wonder if dogs noticed it
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
They would make a loud "click" when you pushed a button. Thus the term "clicker" referring to a tv remote control.
They were also optional, meaning that if you wanted a tv with a remote control, you'd have to pay a couple hundred dollars more.
dv
be very afraid

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
ukimalefu posted:

how did that thing work? I believe it wasn't infrared, so how did it transmit radio frequencies with that grill in the front? or was it something else?

My uncle had one of these TVs. I remember this well. They also had one of the first commercially available Pong machines.

In retrospect, my uncle was pretty cool.
macnuke Afar
It was audio.
There were 4 rods in it..each with a different tone.

Logically, cops were afraid of the vulcan nerve pinch.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
They would make a loud "click" when you pushed a button. Thus the term "clicker" referring to a tv remote control.
They were also optional, meaning that if you wanted a tv with a remote control, you'd have to pay a couple hundred dollars more.

this is my recollection as well
Ribtor posted:
maurvir posted:

Superimpose one on top of the other and they line up perfectly. Cool.

Ah, the real explanation of the optical illusion though funny thing: for whatever reasons I do not perceive these pictures not and the other examples at the above link as apparently diverging EXCEPT when I closely examined them.

EDIT: <sigh> fixed a typo.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 pm.

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
Ribtor posted:
maurvir posted:

Superimpose one on top of the other and they line up perfectly. Cool.

Ah, the real explanation of the optical illusion though funny thing: for whatever reasons I do not perceive these pictures not the other examples at the above link as apparently diverging EXCEPT when I closely examined them.

When you really get into this stuff, you quickly begin to realize that what you perceive as reality is as much a figment of your imagination as it based on sensory input. The sensor fusion that forms our perception of a continuous reality takes a tremendous number of shortcuts that work "most of the time", until you run across an edge case like this. Cool stuff. :up:

Brenna Huckaby, Sports Illustrated's first amputee model

Where is Alanis Morissette when you need her...
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
user Stupid cockwomble
the computer's in the base, right?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
so those things were HUGE

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
ukimalefu posted:

I miss this kind of easy access. Putting a new hard drive into my iMac was an exercise in patience, and hand-eye coordination.
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I miss this kind of easy access. Putting a new hard drive into my iMac was an exercise in patience, and hand-eye coordination.

Yeah, but no iMac ever was supposed to be opened by users, and now absolutely no apple device is supposed to be opened.

Had to google it, it's actually a thing

Quote:
Orthokeratology (also referred to as Ortho-K, Overnight Vision Correction, Corneal Refractive Therapy and CRT), refers to the creation of gas permeable contact lenses that temporarily reshape the cornea to reduce refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism.[1] This method can be used as an alternative to eyeglasses, refractive surgery, or for those who prefer not to wear contact lenses during the day. Orthokeratology is most often used for candidates with up to -6.00 diopters of myopia.

Quote:
The corrective effect is stable but not permanent. Left to itself, the eye will slowly lose its adjusted shape, taking around 3 days to return to its former vision.[9] The Ortho-K lenses must therefore be worn regularly so the corrected corneal shape is preserved and maintained. Usually they are worn only for part of the day (typically only when asleep at night); some users may only need to use them one night out of every two or three nights.

TOS
ukimalefu posted:

i remember when those were the shiznit
Well crap, that would have been awesome, but my vision is worse than that. :(
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693 ... 913