The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

I remember those. I don't miss them... :squint:
sean Royal Wombat
I had one of those. Was my first computer, in fact.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Late comers. My frat computer was a TRS-80 model 1 with 4Kb of RAM. Upgraded it to a massive 16Kb of RAM..

Followed by an Apple ][, then an Apple ][ Plus, then on to the the Macs.

This isn't mine, but I had a system very similar to it. An Atari 800 XL, tape drive, and a non-Atari floppy drive. (I don't recall the brand)

That thing served me exceptionally well until we got one of these:

That machine was awesome because you could get the complete schematics. I upgraded the RAM myself with an add-in PCB that I built myself. It used standard Apple accessories, so I scored an external floppy drive later - dual floppy drives were awesome in the days before hard disks.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
obvs posted:
Yeah. Did anyone ever use those aliases?

My guess is that was for people who got a Mac as their first computer. Also it was a way to make people notice new features.

And, yeah, I deleted those immediately, and appreciated installers that asked if I wanted aliases to new stuff on my desktop (or dock in OS X)

Quote:
In Blish’s Year 2018!, locked in an endless Cold War with the USSR, a security-obsessed United States is a McCarthyite near-dictatorship.

Mankind has reached the nearby planets and colonies and research stations dot the Solar System.

In these fringe outposts, forbidden science discovers a new technology that will enable whole cities to escape the repressive Earth and travel among the stars.

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
That sounds a whole lot better than what we're actually getting. Although, it doesn't sound that different.
user Stupid cockwomble
She must have liked that outfit more than she let on.
ukimalefu posted:
[snip of cover for "Year 2018!"]
Quote:
In Blish’s Year 2018!, locked in an endless Cold War with the USSR, a security-obsessed United States is a McCarthyite near-dictatorship.

Mankind has reached the nearby planets and colonies and research stations dot the Solar System.

In these fringe outposts, forbidden science discovers a new technology that will enable whole cities to escape the repressive Earth and travel among the stars.

Huh. I never knew that there was a prequel to Blish's Cities in Flight. I will have to track down a copy.
user posted:
She must have liked that outfit more than she let on.

:shrug: There is a lot of downtime for actors while making any movie.
TOS
macnuke Afar
Lol the first thing I thought was the chick in the white skirt in adults only forum
macnuke posted:
Lol the first thing I thought was the chick in the white skirt in adults only forum

That picture was playful and cute. This atrocity? Not so much.
macnuke Afar
true.. but it's a dick pic regardless
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The difference is that no one wants to see the one in this thread.
macnuke Afar
TOS
this one's for sturner

sturner Ancient Soldier
Thank you. And I can definitively state that every one of those are true.
First Blood - Japanese Poster (or that's what the source said)

Those big red katakana characters (the equivalent of italicizing) is a rendering into Japanese of "ranbo". That line at the end means "somewhat extend the vowel sound of the previous character" and has no exact equivalent in English.

I think a better rendering in katakana should have been ラムボー or ramubo which would be pronounced RAH-moo-boh, there being no separate "m" sound in Japanese as it is always combined with a vowel sound.

Apparently both ranbo and ramubo are nonsense words in Japanese, so no clear reason for the selection of the first rendering over the second (unless one or the other sounds close to something else in Japanese? E.g., this is NOT a Japanese name of any sort but フカ or fuka--pronounced FOO-kah and which can be translated as the verb "load"--would have obvious problems being rendered directly into English).
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Those big red katakana characters (the equivalent of italicizing) is a rendering into Japanese of "ranbo". That line at the end means "somewhat extend the vowel sound of the previous character" and has no exact equivalent in English.

I think a better rendering in katakana should have been ラムボー or ramubo which would be pronounced RAH-moo-boh, there being no separate "m" sound in Japanese as it is always combined with a vowel sound.

Apparently both ranbo and ramubo are nonsense words in Japanese, so no clear reason for the selection of the first rendering over the second (unless one or the other sounds close to something else in Japanese? E.g., this is NOT a Japanese name of any sort but フカ or fuka--pronounced FOO-kah and which can be translated as the verb "load"--would have obvious problems being rendered directly into English).

i think the issue is more that the visuals in no way reflect the movie
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

yeah, that's the thing
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

yeah, that's the thing

:shrug: I have never seen "First Blood" although I know a LOT about that movie because of countless frames and short clips that "everyone" has used. I would guestimate that my accumulated viewing time (with lots of repetitions) probably runs over the total running time of the movie.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

yeah, that's the thing

:shrug: I have never seen "First Blood" although I know a LOT about that movie because of countless frames and short clips that "everyone" has used. I would guestimate that my accumulated viewing time (with lots of repetitions) probably runs over the total running time of the movie.

I think I saw it in the theater when it first came out, and then probably when it came to video.

I saw it one more time (or most of it), far more recently and was actually amazed at how over-the-top stupid it is. When I was 15 it seemed like a normal movie.

iirc correctly First Blood is where the whole "protesters spitting on Vietnam veterans at airports" story originated.
TOS
TOS
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Séamas posted:
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

yeah, that's the thing

I think I saw it in the theater when it first came out, and then probably when it came to video.

I saw it one more time (or most of it), far more recently and was actually amazed at how over-the-top stupid it is. When I was 15 it seemed like a normal movie.

iirc correctly First Blood is where the whole "protesters spitting on Vietnam veterans at airports" story originated.

Rambo II and III make First Blood look like a work of Shakespeare, though.
DEyncourt posted:
Oops:

Apple's flagship store in Chicago has some design problems. The roof mimics the design of the MacBook Air, but lacking any gutters along its lower edges means that the areas next to those edges get pelted by snow and ice falling off. As a result one of the two entryways--the one going to the riverside walkway on the right side of the pic above--has been closed for the winter.

Apple said it was a "software problem" with the heating system, and they "hope" they fixed it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/3/16845 ... dware-snow
TOS
it's awfully pretty, tho
TOS
"Terrifying explosion demonstrates great examples of of stabilization technologies":

which shows the tank that was ejected from the explosion heading to close to where the videographer was standing.

Unclear where or when this explosion took place (except sometime during or before November 2017).
Interior designers argue for putting books on shelves with spines inward:

'Cause you wouldn't want anything actually USEFUL like the books' titles to show, right?

Heck, why stop there? What is with that STUPID picture in that frame on the top shelf, a wedding picture? Wouldn't it have been more "neutral" just leave the picture out and have the frame display its plain white backing?

I really do mean this seriously, but wasn't this just a test to show how far some people are willing to go? Please?
user Stupid cockwomble
The set designer just didn't want to let on that they were all trashy romance novels from goodwill.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DEyncourt posted:
Interior designers argue for putting books on shelves with spines inward:

'Cause you wouldn't want anything actually USEFUL like the books' titles to show, right?

Heck, why stop there? What is with that STUPID picture in that frame on the top shelf, a wedding picture? Wouldn't it have been more "neutral" just leave the picture out and have the frame display its plain white backing?

I really do mean this seriously, but wasn't this just a test to show how far some people are willing to go? Please?
I think Lauren has some kind of mental disorder.
Donkey Butter jerk face
designers aren't concerned with useful, they're concerned with the aesthetic of a space and nothing else.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681 ... 912