The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
juice Inadvertently correct
Bad guys have the most fun.
TOS
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
She looks gorgeous in this.

Well, that's readily explainable... She was just gorgeous in general.

she and bogart fell in love on that set ... bogie was 45, she was 19

the director, howard hawks, had put the moves on her and been rejected; he threatened to sell her contract to a crappy b-movie studio but she stood her ground

hawks later grumbled that bogie had fallen in love with her character, not the real person, and that she was stuck playing that character for the rest of her life ... but by all accounts bogie and bacall loved each other truly and deeply
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
That sounds worth trying.
TOS
juice posted:
pukeatronic

severely
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
obvs posted:

no, I'm sure it will be Gritty McGritterface

At first I thought it looked cool, then I realized the driver goes outside.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
At the very highest levels of wealth, things haven't changed that much. I could see one of our current 0.01%'ers owning and using one of those.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

batfist?
dv
maurvir posted:
At the very highest levels of wealth, things haven't changed that much. I could see one of our current 0.01%'ers owning and using one of those.

It was designed for Royalty. Three of the six made are in the same museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Royale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9 ... Automobile

Fancy human waste like that has a tendency to become a public burden.
TOS
cars like that are just conspicuous consumption

i mean just think of all those supercars and hypercars that are wonders of technology and power, yet are driven maybe a few hundred miles in their lifetimes -- all for truly insane amounts of dough
user Stupid cockwomble
dv
TOS posted:
cars like that are just conspicuous consumption

i mean just think of all those supercars and hypercars that are wonders of technology and power, yet are driven maybe a few hundred miles in their lifetimes -- all for truly insane amounts of dough

They're industrial art, basically an investment for the people who buy them, and are valued as such.
Yori Program
ukimalefu posted:
obvs posted:

no, I'm sure it will be Gritty McGritterface

IIRC they specifically asked for that one not to be suggested. The two names chosen were Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney and David Plowie and they will join the existing gritters named Brad Grit, Gritney Spears, The Subzero Hero, Mr Plow and Usain Salt.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu posted:

I loved this comment:
Quote:
Man remember when the Borg first showed up?

I remember watching that episode with my dad and he said, “Whatver those things are they’re about to stir up human waste.”

I asked him why and he said, “That ship design is how uncouth individuals with big souped up trucks think. Not super efficient, unless you just dont give a flip and have some human waste to start.”

That makes more and more sense the older I get.

I know a guy who has (or had, haven't seen it in years) a Newton. He loved that thing; kept it long past the point where a cell phone could do everything it could. For the era when they were designed, they were pretty revolutionary - except for the bit where Apple didn't think to put a cell phone in it.

Quote:

They called it Project X. It was an unusually audacious, highly sensitive assignment: to build a massive skyscraper, capable of withstanding an atomic blast, in the middle of New York City. It would have no windows, 29 floors with three basement levels, and enough food to last 1,500 people two weeks in the event of a catastrophe.

But the building’s primary purpose would not be to protect humans from toxic radiation amid nuclear war. Rather, the fortified skyscraper would safeguard powerful computers, cables, and switchboards. It would house one of the most important telecommunications hubs in the United States — the world’s largest center for processing long-distance phone calls, operated by the New York Telephone Company, a subsidiary of AT&T.

The building was designed by the architectural firm John Carl Warnecke & Associates, whose grand vision was to create a communication nerve center like a “20th century fortress, with spears and arrows replaced by protons and neutrons laying quiet siege to an army of machines within."

Construction began in 1969, and by 1974, the skyscraper was completed. Today, it can be found in the heart of lower Manhattan at 33 Thomas Street, a vast gray tower of concrete and granite that soars 550 feet into the New York skyline. The brutalist structure, still used by AT&T and, according to the New York Department of Finance, owned by the company, is like no other in the vicinity. Unlike the many neighboring residential and office buildings, it is impossible to get a glimpse inside 33 Thomas Street. True to the designers’ original plans, there are no windows and the building is not illuminated. At night it becomes a giant shadow, blending into the darkness, its large square vents emitting a distinct, dull hum that is frequently drowned out by the sound of passing traffic and wailing sirens.

For many New Yorkers, 33 Thomas Street — known as the “Long Lines Building” — has been a source of mystery for years. It has been labeled one of the city’s weirdest and most iconic skyscrapers, but little information has ever been published about its purpose.

It is not uncommon to keep the public in the dark about a site containing vital telecommunications equipment. But 33 Thomas Street is different: Investigations by several journalists indicates that the skyscraper is more than a mere nerve center for long-distance phone calls. It also appears to be one of the most important National Security Agency surveillance sites on U.S. soil — a covert monitoring hub that is used to tap into phone calls, faxes, and internet data.

TOS
maurvir posted:

Quote:

They called it Project X. It was an unusually audacious, highly sensitive assignment: to build a massive skyscraper, capable of withstanding an atomic blast, in the middle of New York City. It would have no windows, 29 floors with three basement levels, and enough food to last 1,500 people two weeks in the event of a catastrophe.

But the building’s primary purpose would not be to protect humans from toxic radiation amid nuclear war. Rather, the fortified skyscraper would safeguard powerful computers, cables, and switchboards. It would house one of the most important telecommunications hubs in the United States — the world’s largest center for processing long-distance phone calls, operated by the New York Telephone Company, a subsidiary of AT&T.

The building was designed by the architectural firm John Carl Warnecke & Associates, whose grand vision was to create a communication nerve center like a “20th century fortress, with spears and arrows replaced by protons and neutrons laying quiet siege to an army of machines within."

Construction began in 1969, and by 1974, the skyscraper was completed. Today, it can be found in the heart of lower Manhattan at 33 Thomas Street, a vast gray tower of concrete and granite that soars 550 feet into the New York skyline. The brutalist structure, still used by AT&T and, according to the New York Department of Finance, owned by the company, is like no other in the vicinity. Unlike the many neighboring residential and office buildings, it is impossible to get a glimpse inside 33 Thomas Street. True to the designers’ original plans, there are no windows and the building is not illuminated. At night it becomes a giant shadow, blending into the darkness, its large square vents emitting a distinct, dull hum that is frequently drowned out by the sound of passing traffic and wailing sirens.

For many New Yorkers, 33 Thomas Street — known as the “Long Lines Building” — has been a source of mystery for years. It has been labeled one of the city’s weirdest and most iconic skyscrapers, but little information has ever been published about its purpose.

It is not uncommon to keep the public in the dark about a site containing vital telecommunications equipment. But 33 Thomas Street is different: Investigations by several journalists indicates that the skyscraper is more than a mere nerve center for long-distance phone calls. It also appears to be one of the most important National Security Agency surveillance sites on U.S. soil — a covert monitoring hub that is used to tap into phone calls, faxes, and internet data.

looks like the headquarters for vault-tec
dv
dv
TOS
I see your Facebook friends are a lot like mine.
dv
dv
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv
dv
dv
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 664, 665, 666, 667, 668, 669, 670 ... 913