The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], Metacell, ukimalefu
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Imagine how much discipline and practice that routine takes.
I make it my job to get drill Sergeants to crack up. Drill is a lot of fun for those with the right attitude. I let Monty Python be my guide.

Me and a US Army captain once stood off to the side of a parade ground in the eyeline of the private being inspected during a ceremonial drill not unlike the one pictured, and the captain was getting a bit bored so he started making faces and small inappropriate gestures. I did as well. The Staff Sgt. conducting the inspection got so flustered he spun around and caught the captain making a ridiculous face and cracked up as well. You know when Tim Conway could get Harvey Corman to lose it on the Carol Burnett Show? It was like that. Subtle enough so that the people in the rear ranks couldn't tell.

Very disrespectful. Just as it should be.
dv
obvs posted:
I am completely unimpressed by the military forcing people to act like robots.

It's interpretive dance.
dv posted:
obvs posted:

It's interpretive dance.

That's it.

It's a highly stylised interpretation of a normal weapons inspection that a recruit would be subject to in training.
macnuke Afar
Nice...no Beretta 9mm

Gubmint 45acp.
I like it.
"‘Stranger Things’ Fans Crash Science Museum’s Website Trying to Score Dustin’s Sweatshirt':

Quote:
Costume Designer Kim Wilcox told Newsweek she found the '80s vintage purple sweatshirt online while hunting for period inspiration. "I really loved the Brontosaurus for Dustin, so we bought the original. Then we made our own purple hoodie with this great dinosaur art in Gaten's size." She was delighted that the science museum had not only noticed the hoodie but decided to bring back the retired design for a special Stranger Things-inspired re-release.

The hoodie finally went on sale Tuesday morning on the museum's website. But museum staffers underestimated demand: It wasn't long before the influx of web traffic crashed the website, leaving disappointed fans shut out.

But the site's back up and more than 80,000 purple hoodies have already been sold, at $36.95 a pop. "It’s an exciting day at the museum," spokesperson Kim Ramsden told the Star Tribune. Several local fans headed to the physical location in St. Paul, Minnesota, but the museum warned that supplies at its on-site "Explore Store" are limited.

If you're a fan of Stranger Things but not hoodies, the museum has you covered. It also sells Thunder Lizard t-shirts ($19.95) and crewneck sweatshirts ($29.95).

The purple Brontosaurus hoodie isn't the only Stranger Things look fans can land: You can purchase fashion plate Dustin's signature red, white and blue trucker hat at Target.

[italics and links omitted]

I'm glad the Brontosaurus is back from paleontological oblivion, let alone the shirt.
TOS posted:
StaticAge posted:
juice posted:
In that case, why bother?

Yeah, I get that, but the idea that you could code a message into a universal language humans invented is kind of ridiculous. Its like if you are stuck on an island with someone who doesn’t speak your language so you draw a picture that symbolizes “hello” to them which is a depiction of your first day in public school because that’s where humans often learn to deal with each other in public, as opposed to just saying “hello” and pointing and stuff. Neither may work but one is way more convoluted.

well i don't think they were dummies for thinking that any civilization advanced enough to intercept the plaque would be able to figure some of it out at least

They do not share your background. They may not even have a language. Or sight. But even if they did, you may as well have sent a Jackson Pollock because there’s no shared history of how markings are representing real objects, it’s all abstract without any meanings fixed.
So this was for sale at a shop that sells housewares in Taiwan. I have no idea who would want to buy this or why.

(Spoilered because it could be considered NSFW. It's a mug that appears to have male reproductive cells printed on it.)

IMG_3702.jpg
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
StaticAge posted:
TOS posted:
StaticAge posted:
juice posted:

Yeah, I get that, but the idea that you could code a message into a universal language humans invented is kind of ridiculous. Its like if you are stuck on an island with someone who doesn’t speak your language so you draw a picture that symbolizes “hello” to them which is a depiction of your first day in public school because that’s where humans often learn to deal with each other in public, as opposed to just saying “hello” and pointing and stuff. Neither may work but one is way more convoluted.

well i don't think they were dummies for thinking that any civilization advanced enough to intercept the plaque would be able to figure some of it out at least

They do not share your background. They may not even have a language. Or sight. But even if they did, you may as well have sent a Jackson Pollock because there’s no shared history of how markings are representing real objects, it’s all abstract without any meanings fixed.

The reasoning is that if any intelligent life out there ever comes across it, they might have the curiosity and reasoning skills to figure it out. I mean, just look at the patterns we find in pyramids and weather balloons. And if not, at least they can jam to The Stones. Of course, no reason to suppose they have ears, but on this planet, virtually all life is susceptible to the vibrations of matter.

Of course, it really is just a shot in the dark, but not a meaningless one.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
MacAddict4Life posted:
So this was for sale at a shop that sells housewares in Taiwan. I have no idea who would want to buy this or why.

(Spoilered because it could be considered NSFW. It's a mug that appears to have male reproductive cells printed on it.)

IMG_3702.jpg

Someone likes cream in their coffee?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Stinky the skunk? Okay, I'm sold.

ukimalefu posted:

I finally finished my life long quest to watch EVERY SINGLE ULTRAMAN episode from ULTRA-Q though Ultraman Leo (who was the "new" ultrman when I was a kid). But now I'm watching Ultraman-80 (all episodes available with English subs on youtube), AND IT'S GREAT! But sheesh, then they added 20 more Ultraman series that I now have to try to catch up on.
TOS
StaticAge posted:
TOS posted:
StaticAge posted:
juice posted:

TOS
TOS
meanwhile, in japan ...

Metacell posted:

ukimalefu posted:

I finally finished my life long quest to watch EVERY SINGLE ULTRAMAN episode from ULTRA-Q though Ultraman Leo (who was the "new" ultrman when I was a kid). But now I'm watching Ultraman-80 (all episodes available with English subs on youtube), AND IT'S GREAT! But sheesh, then they added 20 more Ultraman series that I now have to try to catch up on.

Ultraman Mebius was the last one I liked. All the Showa era Ultras make cameo appearances.

The latest one, Ultraman Orb, looks way too much like a toy commercial.
dv
j_tso posted:
Metacell posted:

ukimalefu posted:

Ultraman Mebius was the last one I liked. All the Showa era Ultras make cameo appearances.

The latest one, Ultraman Orb, looks way too much like a toy commercial.

"To Sell Toys."
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
meanwhile, in japan ...

Wrong thread, wrong forum.
Climate-controlled, high-tech doghouses are being installed outside stores in Brooklyn:

BTW: in and around Brooklyn apparently because this business began there.

There is a free app for dog owners so they can keep an eye on their dogs while in the stores.

It appears to be selling itself to stores as an incentive to invite dog owners (although the site does offer SOME free installtions presumably for places like government offices).
DEyncourt posted:
Climate-controlled, high-tech doghouses are being installed outside stores in Brooklyn:

BTW: in and around Brooklyn apparently because this business began there.

There is a free app for dog owners so they can keep an eye on their dogs while in the stores.

It appears to be selling itself to stores as an incentive to invite dog owners (although the site does offer SOME free installtions presumably for places like government offices).

fiddlesticks that, dogs don't like that

let the dogs into the store, and if the dogs do something inappropriate it's the owners fault
I let dogs in my shop. I keep water and doggy treats available.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:

It's interpretive dance.

That's it.

It's a highly stylised interpretation of a normal weapons inspection that a recruit would be subject to in training.

It is the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unlnown.
dv
sturner posted:
Ribtor posted:
dv posted:
obvs posted:

It's interpretive dance.

That's it.

It is the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unlnown.

I know. I've seen it in person. It still could have its own section here.
It's a dance all right.

I did a ceremonial Guard duty once where a guest Commonwealth officer (I think Australian) was supposed to lead part of it and he kept shouting out the obsolete command "Slope Arms!" which was long phased out with the Lee Enfield. He didn't attend rehearsals. It got sorted out.

If we get heat stroke in our bearskins we must fall forward at attention so we don't stab ourselves with the bayonet and also because it looks snappy.

So much BS.
sturner Ancient Soldier
It does belong as a liturgical display. The same can be said of the handleling if the colors. It has a religious meaning.
dv
ukimalefu posted:

get it? :D

I... don't get it.
dv
sturner posted:
It does belong as a liturgical display. The same can be said of the handleling if the colors. It has a religious meaning.

...what denomination? :goth:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

get it? :D

I... don't get it.

US

Bee

Drive
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
dv
:facepalm:

Ok, that's funny.
ukimalefu posted:
[snip of story and pic about dogparker.com]

let the dogs into the store, and if the dogs do something inappropriate it's the owners fault

There are plenty of places in the US where dogs (and other pets) are LEGALLY not allowed, exceptions being made for seeing-eye dogs for the vision-impaired.
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
[snip of story and pic about dogparker.com]

There are plenty of places in the US where dogs (and other pets) are LEGALLY not allowed, exceptions being made for seeing-eye dogs for the vision-impaired.

Well, that's different, and it may make sense in some places. All I'm saying is I wouldn't put a dog in one of those boxes. "Climate controlled" blatherskite, no, it's a closed plastic box. Looks designed to muffle noise from dogs barking (saying "where are you going? why are you leaving me here?) and maybe also to keep possible smells in. Dogs would hate it, and I hate it.
They HAVE to be climate controlled because it can snow or get very hot in NYC depending on the season. Yeah, yeah, First World problems.

Speaking of smells: I think that dogs would find these dogparker.com cages--because that is what they are if only temporary--particularly interesting after some use: "That's Charlie and Fifi but ooh I don't know that dog" [translated from dog].
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668 ... 912