The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
dv
Pariah posted:
It just strikes as odd that as the typical American family keeps shrinking, people are delaying child bearing till latter in life meaning people are having a much longer "uncomplicated youth" period in their lives and the availability of small, fun cars has almost completely dried up.

Well, on one hand, millennials, as a group, can't really afford new cars, so we're not shaping the market.

OTOH, there are Fiestas, Golfs, etc., available. Or the Nissan Juke.

One of the interns this summer drives a Fiesta, but it's outnumbered by the Focuses in the lot. Meanwhile, most of the interns are driving around stuff-they-bought-off-their-dad type cars. (Older SUVs and sedans, often with bumper stickers that say things like "My child is...")

On the third hand, I don't think people have "fun" with their cars the way they used to. Even with gas prices lower than they were ten years ago, a car is something you use to carry your mountain bike or kayak, not something you just climb into and noodle around in for fun.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I would have to agree. Most of the folks in their late teens to mid-20's are struggling with housing, never mind buying a luxury sports car. Of course, even in my youth most kids drove their parents old car. It's how I ended up with a 1984 Olds Delta 88 as my first car.

These cars are for middle-aged office workers who wish they could be motor heads, but still have to commute back and forth to work.
TOS
yeah i think the "car ladder" is facing the same problems as the real estate ladder

this is what happens when you hoover up the wealth of nations, there's less cash available to buy stuff
TOS posted:
yeah i think the "car ladder" is facing the same problems as the real estate ladder

this is what happens when you hoover up the wealth of nations, there's less cash available to buy stuff

Cash for clunkers really screwed things up for the car ladder. A lot of cars that would be in the market as serviceable used are now missing.
TOS
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:
The author has the audacity to call a 4dr coupe a "Hot Hatch".

What A stick fiddling Idiot.

Also, I have yet to drive a FWD car that had torque steer that was a problem and in winter conditions it can actually help.

Uh, hot hatch has been used for 4 door hatchbacks for many, many years.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
Got this today:

maybe it's a polite way of saying you done got banned

Can you get banned from FB?
juice Inadvertently correct
Bren has. Repeatedly.
If FB thinks you aren't using your real name, they will.
dv
maurvir posted:
If FB thinks you aren't using your real name, they will.

I don't have a single unmarried female friend or relative who uses their IRL name on Facebook.

Facebook should probably hold off on the banhammer until we live in a society where women don't have to engage in stick fiddling spycraft to swap baby photos without attracting the attention of stalkers.
/me hopes that becomes the style
/me further realizes the only people who will wear it should not wear it
juice posted:
/me hopes that becomes the style
/me further realizes the only people who will wear it should not wear it

Yes, because the only thing worse than this, would be this with a giant hole in it:

Last edited by arkayn on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:27 am. Had to make it so we do not need the bleach unless we need it.

macnuke Afar
TOS
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
maurvir posted:

wtf, i want the taste of chocolate, what's next, injectable candy? wtf, no.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:

Horses often have their own pets
TOS
i just love how gentle that horse is
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
maurvir posted:

wtf, i want the taste of chocolate, what's next, injectable candy? wtf, no.

There was a brief fad of "flavored" candy snuffs in the early 70s. A great way to clog up your nose.
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:

Horses often have their own pets

most of the famous race ones did
60s first class

ukimalefu posted:
60s first class

That was before deregulation, when there really wasn't a true "economy class". While it's hard to tell with the dude in the black turtleneck, the clue is the couple of pounds of enormous pearls hanging around the neck of the lady behind him. My one time flying first class (on my honeymoon, no less) was a vastly different experience than flying in coach. Not this level of service, but they did serve dinner on real plates with actual glass glasses, metal knives, etc.

Or, you get what you pay for, and those folks paid quite a hefty sum for that ham.
TOS
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I once had a conversation with a friend about how China invented fireworks and we figured out how to kill people with them.
user Stupid cockwomble
looks ike she figured out how to kill with them
TOS
Metacell posted:
I once had a conversation with a friend about how China invented fireworks and we figured out how to kill people with them.

not entirely false

the chinese did use it in weapons to a certain extent, but only at a fairly basic level -- it was only in the west that it really took off ... it was a european who built the giant cannons used by the turks to conquer constantinople in 1453, and that was the big leap forward in artillery

within a couple of centuries the west had rifles, grenades and artillery while the chinese were still using it to scare horses and shoot spears (fire lances)
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

I'm still at a loss as to why those were ever a thing.
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
[snip of woman wearing a literally conical bra]

I'm still at a loss as to why those were ever a thing.

Women's FASHION is rather mysterious and is rather keyed for their time. :shrug: Weird idealized women's shapes have little to do with reality.

There was a time in the US when it was de rigueur for men to wear a hat when outdoors, and NOT including a baseball cap EXCEPT when attending a baseball game (and for no other sports). If you were an adult and seen wearing a baseball cap it was assumed you were on your way to/from a baseball game AND probably with a youngster wearing a similar hat.

Then JFK ran for the presidency and rarely wore a hat at all. BOOM--men's hats nearly went completely out of fashion (except for those caps at baseball games).

Last edited by DEyncourt on Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:12 pm.

TOS
Did someone open some cheese?!?!?
TOS
don't worry, nobody dies

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 636, 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642 ... 913