The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy
juice Inadvertently correct
I bet that guy had to change his pants.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I'm embarrassed to say that it took someone to explain this to me. Bad nerd. :heh: :(

and what was that explanation? i'm asking for a friend

The answer to the addition question is "Star Wars."

Episode 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 3.5 (Release order.)

ahaaaaaaaa ....
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
juice posted:
I bet that guy had to change his pants.

If he did, I'll bet no one gave him grief either.
TOS
a very clever clock

Except it spends a lot of time not being able to tell you the current time.
MacAddict4Life posted:
Except it spends a lot of time not being able to tell you the current time.

Clever is often a euphemism for stupid.
I don't think it's stupid. It's awesome, and I think it's a really clever, creative design. That reduces the practicality, with the large periods with no minute hand, but that's often a decision to make, right? Do you trade off cool design for constant readability? In some environments my response is absolutely! But that looks like an airport to me...
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
chocolate 3d printer

Retailer in UK to try laser-etched labels on avocados, may try this on other produce, to save on paper waste:

The labels include the store's label, a sell-by date and the store's code for avocados. Another system had been tried several years ago but it discolored the produce skin too much.

One alternate suggestion to reduce paper was for sales clerks to learn what avocados were and have a list handy showing their codes to be entered into cash registers.
A creepy pic, according to this article's author:

Quote:
The metal rods in the top photo are plutonium. Rods can roll. These rods could roll closer to each other and perhaps produce the kind of runaway neutron reaction that killed Slotin and Daghlian. Putting a hand in to separate them could make the reaction worse because the water in a human body reflects the neutrons.

I had formal safety training, informal discussions with more experienced people, and made it a point to internalize rules of thumb. Keep pieces of plutonium separate. Abide by glovebox limitations; every glovebox has a sign with the limits of plutonium allowed in it. For solutions, keep them dilute and in flat containers. Flat/thin is safer; the closer a shape is to spherical, the less material is needed to go critical. IIRC, there were racks to put rods in if you were working with that shape of metal, so that they didn’t accidentally roll together.

That photo is at the center of two articles from the Center for Public Integrity (NMPolitics.net, Washington Post). They are based on an investigation reported here. According to those articles, a technician ignored glovebox limits and arranged the plutonium to take that photo for management. A Los Alamos manager is also quoted in the articles as saying that the criticality safety group was an unnecessary expense. A number of the senior people in the criticality safety group were of my vintage and were expected to retire about when I did. According to the articles, management’s signal was heard loud and clear, and the rest left.
[links not included]

DEyncourt posted:

Quote:
The metal rods in the top photo are plutonium. Rods can roll. These rods could roll closer to each other and perhaps produce the kind of runaway neutron reaction that killed Slotin and Daghlian. Putting a hand in to separate them could make the reaction worse because the water in a human body reflects the neutrons.

I had formal safety training, informal discussions with more experienced people, and made it a point to internalize rules of thumb. Keep pieces of plutonium separate. Abide by glovebox limitations; every glovebox has a sign with the limits of plutonium allowed in it. For solutions, keep them dilute and in flat containers. Flat/thin is safer; the closer a shape is to spherical, the less material is needed to go critical. IIRC, there were racks to put rods in if you were working with that shape of metal, so that they didn’t accidentally roll together.

That photo is at the center of two articles from the Center for Public Integrity (NMPolitics.net, Washington Post). They are based on an investigation reported here. According to those articles, a technician ignored glovebox limits and arranged the plutonium to take that photo for management. A Los Alamos manager is also quoted in the articles as saying that the criticality safety group was an unnecessary expense. A number of the senior people in the criticality safety group were of my vintage and were expected to retire about when I did. According to the articles, management’s signal was heard loud and clear, and the rest left.
[links not included]

It's creepy because some complete dipshit of a manager who doesn't understand, or care, about safety asked someone to pose that picture against the SOP. The article goes into detail about how said uncouth individual convinced all of the other people in the department responsible for criticality safety to quit or retire early, thus practically ensuring that an accident happens in the future.

Fortunately, it seems that there are pegs molded into the metal rods to keep them from rolling far, but it doesn't take much for that stuff to go horribly wrong. It is an example of where you need highly trained personnel, not numbskulls who managed to get their MBA, in charge of things.
user Stupid cockwomble
stick fiddling perry
TOS
Rob Cockerham's 6-foot-wide WORKING fidget spinner costume:

A video of it in action. BTW: the link above is to his build for this costume.

Cockerham makes these costumes for costume contests in and around Sacramento but he had to wear it for a local comic con:
Quote:
Downtown was crowded with people, and comic book nerds were packed everywhere, lining up to get into the Con. I turned the corner into full view and was greeted with open iphones, gaping mouths and spontaneous applause! It was awesome! The gigantic fidget spinner was an absolute hit that the crowds loved!

"OH DAMN! MIKE! LOOK! FIDGET SPINNERRRRR!" x 1000.

I love being stopped for photos, and with the fidget spinner costume I had a special trick: Invariably the photographer would click through and snap a picture, thank me and then slowly realize the whole truth.

"Does it.... spin?"

I would slowly nod. "Yes. It does!" Then I'd back up and give it a big whirl and they would shriek or just shake their heads in amazement. It was incredible!

TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Quote:

[links not included]

It's creepy because some complete dipshit of a manager who doesn't understand, or care, about safety asked someone to pose that picture against the SOP. The article goes into detail about how said uncouth individual convinced all of the other people in the department responsible for criticality safety to quit or retire early, thus practically ensuring that an accident happens in the future.

Fortunately, it seems that there are pegs molded into the metal rods to keep them from rolling far, but it doesn't take much for that stuff to go horribly wrong. It is an example of where you need highly trained personnel, not numbskulls who managed to get their MBA, in charge of things.

Slotin wasn't following established safety protocols. His own hubris killed him.
TOS
and then they go in the house and shake
TOS
staring contest! go!!!

user Stupid cockwomble
ukimalefu posted:

You know my first thought was damn he's dead
TOS
my first thought was about her beauty
macnuke Afar
he downsized from Firefly to a Glastron with a little 90HP on it?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS posted:
No kidding.

I was like "Inara's how old? Jesus she's pretty."

38, btw.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
No kidding.

38, btw.

Inara was hot, but you crushed on Kaylee.
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
No kidding.

38, btw.

Inara was hot, but you crushed on Kaylee.

River Tam 4eva!
user Stupid cockwomble
too moon brained
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
No kidding.

38, btw.

you watching Gotham?
user posted:
too moon brained

looks like that, but she can kill you before you're done blinking

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 631, 632, 633, 634, 635, 636, 637 ... 913