The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

How's life?
User avatar
j_tso
Posts: 1227
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:46 am
Location: Austin, TX

Post by j_tso »

Image

Fancy iPhone stand
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image

Uhm... 6 is 50% of 12... and 12+6 = 18? right?

anyway, gluten free mustard! as opposed to the mustard that has gluten in it?
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

ukimalefu wrote: [snip of pic]

Uhm... 6 is 50% of 12... and 12+6 = 18? right?

anyway, gluten free mustard! as opposed to the mustard that has gluten in it?

Of course your math is correct though I suspect what the questioner was asking was "If 18 is 100% and 12 is 66.7% of 18 which means 18 is only 33.3% more than 12, yes?" which WOULD be right except for that smaller print of "than our 12 oz". THAT makes the questioner wrong because he begins with the wrong number for his base.

And the notation of "gluten-free" IS very important for those who suffer from celiac disease THOUGH that condition has been estimated to affect about 1.5% of humans. Large enough that food product makers have to worry about turning away a group of people who do not have any clear idea of "is there gluten in X?", especially for shoppers buying groceries for a household with a person or two affected by celiac disease.

On the other hand: there are NOW a LOT of people who have latched themselves to "gluten-free" labels as if celiac disease were a common problem for most or all people. But even if you were to pin them down and figure out that no one in their household has celiac disease, he can always retort with "Well, I'm getting it for anyone who might stop by who suffers from that, so there :p
User avatar
obvslyworking
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:29 pm
Location: posting from an insecure location

Post by obvslyworking »

ukimalefu wrote: anyway, gluten free mustard! as opposed to the mustard that has gluten in it?
I can't count the number of times I've seen "gluten free" printed on foods that don't normally contain gluten.
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

DEyncourt wrote:
ukimalefu wrote: [snip of pic]

Uhm... 6 is 50% of 12... and 12+6 = 18? right?

anyway, gluten free mustard! as opposed to the mustard that has gluten in it?

Of course your math is correct though I suspect what the questioner was asking was "If 18 is 100% and 12 is 66.7% of 18 which means 18 is only 33.3% more than 12, yes?" which WOULD be right except for that smaller print of "than our 12 oz". THAT makes the questioner wrong because he begins with the wrong number for his base.

And the notation of "gluten-free" IS very important for those who suffer from celiac disease THOUGH that condition has been estimated to affect about 1.5% of humans. Large enough that food product makers have to worry about turning away a group of people who do not have any clear idea of "is there gluten in X?", especially for shoppers buying groceries for a household with a person or two affected by celiac disease.

On the other hand: there are NOW a LOT of people who have latched themselves to "gluten-free" labels as if celiac disease were a common problem for most or all people. But even if you were to pin them down and figure out that no one in their household has celiac disease, he can always retort with "Well, I'm getting it for anyone who might stop by who suffers from that, so there :p


I see that and assume it's an attempt to "trap" dumb people on Facebook.
Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

DEyncourt wrote:

And the notation of "gluten-free" IS very important for those who suffer from celiac disease THOUGH that condition has been estimated to affect about 1.5% of humans. Large enough that food product makers have to worry about turning away a group of people who do not have any clear idea of "is there gluten in X?", especially for shoppers buying groceries for a household with a person or two affected by celiac disease.

On the other hand: there are NOW a LOT of people who have latched themselves to "gluten-free" labels as if celiac disease were a common problem for most or all people. But even if you were to pin them down and figure out that no one in their household has celiac disease, he can always retort with "Well, I'm getting it for anyone who might stop by who suffers from that, so there :p


This is mustard, why would there ever be gluten in mustard?

I once saw a bottle of WATER labelled as gluten free.

I'd think that people that KNOW they suffer from celiac disease, know what to avoid, or not to eat something if they're not sure.

I believe that a lot of companies are putting "gluten free" on their product labels just because a lot of people think "it's good for you".
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

ukimalefu wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:

And the notation of "gluten-free" IS very important for those who suffer from celiac disease THOUGH that condition has been estimated to affect about 1.5% of humans. Large enough that food product makers have to worry about turning away a group of people who do not have any clear idea of "is there gluten in X?", especially for shoppers buying groceries for a household with a person or two affected by celiac disease.

On the other hand: there are NOW a LOT of people who have latched themselves to "gluten-free" labels as if celiac disease were a common problem for most or all people. But even if you were to pin them down and figure out that no one in their household has celiac disease, he can always retort with "Well, I'm getting it for anyone who might stop by who suffers from that, so there :p


This is mustard, why would there ever be gluten in mustard?


Flour is frequently used in various gravies and sauces as a thickener.

I once saw a bottle of WATER labelled as gluten free.


That is a bit silly. But have you ever noticed how many foods are listed as "may contain peanuts?" Food labelling standards generally apply to ALL food products, there's no "common sense" test. Which is why there's a nutrition info diagram on bottled water, too.

I'd think that people that KNOW they suffer from celiac disease, know what to avoid, or not to eat something if they're not sure.


http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... luten.html

I believe that a lot of companies are putting "gluten free" on their product labels just because a lot of people think "it's good for you".


True. Of course, the problem there is that it's occasionally a lie. Only a small minority (people with actual gluten sensitivities) will ever notice.
Image
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Gluten-free coffee beans. Image
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

JBpvkgeU.gif
Image
User avatar
juice
Posts: 12076
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

RIP, Freddie...
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
Donkey Butter
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 am
Title: jerk face
Location: over yonder

Post by Donkey Butter »

I really want to take my motorbike for a ride out there. looks like beautiful country.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11131
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Any beach I can't go swimming in is a failure.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

If you really want to, you can....
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Holy human waste webcam:

Image
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image

4eva
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

::mr sparky::

I really like that gif.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Image
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Donkey Butter wrote: I really want to take my motorbike for a ride out there. looks like beautiful country.


Do it, it is. Ride the Cabot Trail on the way to the ferry too. I spent one of the best weekends of my life camping along the Cabot Trail, hiking up waterfalls.
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Image
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Image
User avatar
Donkey Butter
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 am
Title: jerk face
Location: over yonder

Post by Donkey Butter »

does anyone else suddenly feel hungry (like the wolf)?
User avatar
Donkey Butter
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 am
Title: jerk face
Location: over yonder

Post by Donkey Butter »

jkahless wrote:
Donkey Butter wrote: I really want to take my motorbike for a ride out there. looks like beautiful country.


Do it, it is. Ride the Cabot Trail on the way to the ferry too. I spent one of the best weekends of my life camping along the Cabot Trail, hiking up waterfalls.


just did a web search for images of "Cobot Trail". I'm sold.
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image

Turns out the claims about this pool having magical healing properties were full of crap - literally.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

well human waste
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

green and full of very small seeds
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

sorry, not a real game

Image
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

heels plus ice equals ...

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

uhm... would that be the hand of... what's his name... devil hero guy with horns... hellboy?

anyway, that's a waste of a poor tiny warermelon
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

maurvir wrote: Image

Turns out the claims about this pool having magical healing properties were full of crap - literally.

I really don't feel sorry for any of the people who drank this thinking it was magic water.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30684
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
maurvir wrote: Image

Turns out the claims about this pool having magical healing properties were full of crap - literally.

I really don't feel sorry for any of the people who drank this thinking it was magic water.

Image
Image
Post Reply