The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

How's life?
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

dv

Post by dv »

That's cruel.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

It's also a good way to ensure a cat with couch potato tendencies gets some exercise.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

THAT is one of the reason why I will NEVER have a cat.

I know that I would tease the cat with a laser to the point where the cat got bored.
juice

Post by juice »

I've tried them but my cat doesn't care about laser pointers.
dv

Post by dv »

DEyncourt wrote: THAT is one of the reason why I will NEVER have a cat.

I know that I would tease the cat with a laser to the point where the cat got bored.

Oh, they don't get bored. They just get tired. Some rest, and... WHAM. ;)
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

"The Making of the Medieval-inspired 3D printed women’s Sovereign Armor":

http://lumecluster.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SovereignArmor_DreamerRegalia.jpg

The left armor--named Dreamer Regalia--was made by Melissa Ng for Felicia Day (who models it here) while that on the right--Sovereign Armor--is Ng's latest project.
Last edited by dv on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Page has some security popup now. Sorry.
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

It's a shame someone went to ask that effort, made such beautiful pieces, and doesn't know the first thing about armour design.
dv

Post by dv »

jkahless wrote: It's a shame someone went to ask that effort, made such beautiful pieces, and doesn't know the first thing about armour design.

It's not about armor, it's about making D&D artwork real.

And, arguably, about paying Felicia Day roughly my annual salary to spend 6 hours wearing it in public.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

My D&D characters wouldn't get caught dead in armour that lowers your AC. But then my main character is a very practical former blacksmith.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

TOS

Post by TOS »

jkahless wrote: My D&D characters wouldn't get caught dead in armour that lowers your AC. But then my main character is a very practical former blacksmith.

why are you complaining when that sovereign armor obviously has a +5 frilly tutu
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
juice

Post by juice »

TOS wrote:
jkahless wrote: My D&D characters wouldn't get caught dead in armour that lowers your AC. But then my main character is a very practical former blacksmith.

why are you complaining when that sovereign armor obviously has a +5 frilly tutu

Codpiece of enemy distraction!
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

juice wrote:
TOS wrote:

Codpiece of enemy distraction!

The Black Russian?
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Meh. Would you rather look good or be caught dead in bad-looking though practical armor?

I'm with dv. I'd pay a princely sum to have Felicia Day appear regularly in the Dreamer Regalia.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

ukimalefu wrote: Image

Cats with FRIKEN LASERS on their HEADS!
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

TOS wrote:

Was gong to say...this is obviously enchanted faerie armor.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
TOS

Post by TOS »

fatherhood ...

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
juice

Post by juice »

:cry: :wuv:
TOS

Post by TOS »

my four-year-old girl still throws her arms around my neck and hugs me tight, it makes me so happy
dv

Post by dv »

TOS wrote: my four-year-old girl still throws her arms around my neck and hugs me tight, it makes me so happy

Well, enjoy it now. It stops in about ten years and doesn't pick up again until after college. And that's only if her therapist says it's ok. :p
TOS

Post by TOS »

dv wrote:
TOS wrote: my four-year-old girl still throws her arms around my neck and hugs me tight, it makes me so happy

Well, enjoy it now. It stops in about ten years and doesn't pick up again until after college. And that's only if her therapist says it's ok. :p

you do have a bit of a dark side, it turns out
juice

Post by juice »

Reality is sometimes dark.
dv

Post by dv »

TOS wrote:
dv wrote:

you do have a bit of a dark side, it turns out

Nah; teenagers just suck. I'm sure your kids'll come around and have a healthy relationship with her parents afterwards, like most normal people do.

But in the interim, you'll want to strangle the little brat. ;)
TOS

Post by TOS »

fred was always the life of every party

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

dv wrote:
jkahless wrote: It's a shame someone went to ask that effort, made such beautiful pieces, and doesn't know the first thing about armour design.

And, arguably, about paying Felicia Day roughly my annual salary to spend 6 hours wearing it in public.

I would be surprised if Day was paid anything to do that shoot and even if she was paid it would not be 5 figures, more like 3 figures if she is very lucky.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Pariah wrote:
dv wrote:

I would be surprised if Day was paid anything to do that shoot and even if she was paid it would not be 5 figures, more like 3 figures if she is very lucky.

What about "all travel expenses, plus you get to keep the costume"?
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

ukimalefu wrote:
Pariah wrote:
dv wrote:

Is that the case? If that was laid out in the story I missed it.
Modeling is like sports. Most models work for pics and credits, a smaller number get paid a small amount and only a tiny elite actually make a living doing it.
Consider this: The centerfold models for Playboy used to be paid travel, lodging and $10,000 and that was considered a top gig. A young model doing a shoot for a clothing catalog might get paid as much as $500 for an entire day of shooting.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
dv

Post by dv »

Pariah wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
Pariah wrote:
dv wrote:

Modeling is like sports. Most models work for pics and credits, a smaller number get paid a small amount and only a tiny elite actually make a living doing it.
Consider this: The centerfold models for Playboy used to be paid travel, lodging and $10,000 and that was considered a top gig. A young model doing a shoot for a clothing catalog might get paid as much as $500 for an entire day of shooting.

You're coming at it from the wrong angle. And the wrong subculture. ;)

She's an actress, not just a model. She's been in enough "nerd chic" tv and films that she should be getting paid at least as much for her appearances as, say, Neil Patrick Harris. For a big event like comic-con, that could easily be $20k+ for the weekend. And that's if she doesn't wear the stupid armor.
TOS

Post by TOS »

sfx

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Pariah wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
Pariah wrote:
dv wrote:

The article I linked to was for the second set of fantasy armor but there were links on that page to the first set.

Ng--the maker of both sets of armor--made Dreamer Regalia SPECIFICALLY for Day. Ng did it as a "favor" to Day for being the inspiration via Day's "The Guild" series for Ng to go for her dream of being a creator of such pieces.

I am uncertain as to where Dreamer Regalia is currently. My impression is that Ng kept it as a demo of what she is capable of making and not that Day has it on display in her living room. On the other hand Day did use her influence to persuade a leading 3D modeling company to allow Ng access to their equipment so that Ng could fully realize its creation. I would fully understand if Ng simply gave Dreamer Regalia to Day.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Pariah wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
Pariah wrote:
dv wrote:

I was joking. But if she's geeky enough she may do it for very little?
maurvir

Post by maurvir »

I know we were joking about steam, but boilers are no joke when they fail. :eek:

For reference, the boiler flew 514'

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

I know, mythbusters did something with water heaters.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

BTW: Ng's web site--my first link in that post about the fantasy armor--is currently down due to the high volume of traffic it had gotten.
maurvir

Post by maurvir »

Donkey Butter
Title: jerk face

Post by Donkey Butter »

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Recall TRAPPIST-1?

Unfortunately, recent observations of the star show that it is subject to frequent and violent flares, which is made worse by the fact that the seven newly discovered exoplanets are so close to TRAPPIST-1 that they have no chance of retaining atmospheres.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

maurvir wrote: Image

I know we were joking about steam, but boilers are no joke when they fail. :eek:

For reference, the boiler flew 514'

Boiler are dangerous. Many a sinking steamship has exploded when it's boiler hit the sea.
TOS

Post by TOS »