The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617 ... 913
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
i posted it because i find it terrifying ... it's an advanced russian cruise missile designed to take out carrier groups

it travels at several times the speed of sound and skims just a hair above the ocean's surface, so it's basically immune to interception

previous generations of the missile worked cooperatively, so when fired in volleys they would network with one another one, decide which of them had the best chance of interception, and take turns popping to higher altitude to get a solid radar lock (if one got shot down another would take its place)

the saudis have been taking severe damage off yemen from anti-ship missiles and it freaks me to imagine what they'd do to a supercarrier

Arms races have never really stopped. The new bit is the United States being behind on one front. In the long run it's a losing play I think, it only gives Russia an advantage till the next generation of unmanned drone ships come into service and it must cost a huge amount of money. The question is, what can Putin do in that time while he can neutralize the immense power projection that Carrier Battle Groups give the USA?
user Stupid cockwomble
Time to roll out the Jericho.

Bigger stick and all that.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
Taiwan still believes in US ?

Do they have any practical alternatives?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Yes, rely on themselves and local allies in guerrilla resistance against an occupying mainland force. It would be a matter of making it more costly to Red China than it was worth. Not sure how well that is working for Tibet, but they are a landlocked nation.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Taiwan still believes in US ?

taiwan's military is mostly outdated, even obsolete (they have a submarine that's about to reach a mind-boggling 80 years in service) ... western countries including the us would love to sell them the whole buffet of military hardware, but of course beijing freaks, so there hasn't been a major arms sale in years

interestingly trump has talked about taiwan in ways no president ever has, and there has been muttering about gifting taiwan with some major arms packages, but it's probably all just talk -- trying to put pressure on beijing (or just spouting off randomly)
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Long time ago when we was fast

George Harrison in a McLaren F1 car.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:
i posted it because i find it terrifying ... it's an advanced russian cruise missile designed to take out carrier groups

it travels at several times the speed of sound and skims just a hair above the ocean's surface, so it's basically immune to interception

previous generations of the missile worked cooperatively, so when fired in volleys they would network with one another one, decide which of them had the best chance of interception, and take turns popping to higher altitude to get a solid radar lock (if one got shot down another would take its place)

the saudis have been taking severe damage off yemen from anti-ship missiles and it freaks me to imagine what they'd do to a supercarrier

Arms races have never really stopped. The new bit is the United States being behind on one front. In the long run it's a losing play I think, it only gives Russia an advantage till the next generation of unmanned drone ships come into service and it must cost a huge amount of money. The question is, what can Putin do in that time while he can neutralize the immense power projection that Carrier Battle Groups give the USA?

Russia is going to end up exhausting itself just like they did in the 80's. It is going to be another sad display of a small, poor country desperately trying to keep up with the industrial and technical might of the USA, a country three times larger in wealth and population.
Putin seems set to make the very same mistakes that opened the door to his take over of Russia.
Crashed Google Loon balloon mistaken for UFO in Columbia:

A witness who first came across this said: ""It was smoking and a strange liquid was leaking from it".
Lithium batteries inside Bluetooth headphones likely cause of explosion, burns on woman during flight from Beijing to Melbourne:

Unfortunately no one has yet mentioned the make of the headphones, but let's see: from BEIJING? Good chance that she picked a set of no-name headphones at some cheapy shop in that city.
TOS
Pariah posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:

Russia is going to end up exhausting itself just like they did in the 80's. It is going to be another sad display of a small, poor country desperately trying to keep up with the industrial and technical might of the USA, a country three times larger in wealth and population.
Putin seems set to make the very same mistakes that opened the door to his take over of Russia.

last i checked russia's economy was about the size of holland's

imagine holland trying to compete with the us, it would only be posible if uncle sam were to roll over and quit
TOS
haven't seen polandball around here in awhile ...

TOS
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Pariah posted:

Quote:
This item is not available for purchase.

juice Inadvertently correct
No Mr. Fusion?
juice posted:
No Mr. Fusion?

Sold separately.
dv
ukimalefu posted:

Missing a few. USB3 Type A and B are different.
TOS
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

easy there, dongle boy
user Stupid cockwomble
Missed type "D".
ukimalefu posted:
Long time ago when we was fast

George Harrison in a McLaren F1 car.

George had a McLaren F1 road car as well. As a three seater, it was perfect for the Beatles in the mid 90s. I think it even had an ashtray, so there was a place for John.

Last edited by Warin on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 am.

user Stupid cockwomble
Ono was wasted about that.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I think that's only USB3 Type B. It has the extra box at the top. But the A side is (at least from the outside) the same besides plastic coloration, and it plugs into USB2 ports as well.
user Stupid cockwomble
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, I know, pot kettle black.
TOS
user posted:
Missed type "D".

:: giggles ::
TOS
dv
MacAddict4Life posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I think that's only USB3 Type B. It has the extra box at the top. But the A side is (at least from the outside) the same besides plastic coloration, and it plugs into USB2 ports as well.

USB three has eight or nine pins, not four. So the pin out diagram would be different.
dammit nerds, you were supposed to post that xkcd comic about the standards

juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
omydog

:love:
dv posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

USB three has eight or nine pins, not four. So the pin out diagram would be different.

In a photo of the connectors that would not be apparent. Nothing missing. :P
Couldn't find where the image is from, but that's an Apple II

ukimalefu posted:

You don't say...

I am amused by the fact that they didn't even attempt to power it for the picture.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

hey, that's my comp-sci class, circa 1983

west coast 4 eva!!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617 ... 913