The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
DEyncourt posted:

No... they're gray... and the other color is light green/blue...

I do not see any red...
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

TIL: Snowmobiles can operate on open water if they are moving fast enough.
TOS
maurvir posted:

the conditions have to be just right ... it's an extremely stupid thing to do
dv
maurvir posted:

Makes sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1R4Lxoj5c
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

hitting the water at the speed required to make the snowmobile stay above the surface of the water is akin to you hitting asphalt...
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I do not see any red...

Neither do I.
TOS
Aaron_R posted:
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

hitting the water at the speed required to make the snowmobile stay above the surface of the water is akin to you hitting asphalt...

in my experience there's usually alcohol involved
Pariah Know Your Enemy
arkayn posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

I do not see any red...

Neither do I.

I see what I would expect to see if you shown a cyan light at strawberries.
'shone'
but yeah, Photoshop-like color tricks are so 90s ;)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:
'shone'
but yeah, Photoshop-like color tricks are so 90s ;)

Ya, that pic looks like the cyan channel in a CMYK image.
It's an effect artists call "simultaneous contrast". In my work, I work with reproducing pixelated photographs in paint. There is a lot of work sometimes in accurately mimicking grays that imply other colors which aren't actually there.

Plus, since painting is additive color theory, if I was painting a cyan image, adding a certain amount of its complementary color, red, is what gives me gray anyway, so, in my craft, there actually may really be red in the gray areas just to neutralize the cyan.
dv
Pariah Know Your Enemy
StaticAge posted:
It's an effect artists call "simultaneous contrast". In my work, I work with reproducing pixelated photographs in paint. There is a lot of work sometimes in accurately mimicking grays that imply other colors which aren't actually there.

Plus, since painting is additive color theory, if I was painting a cyan image, adding a certain amount of its complementary color, red, is what gives me gray anyway, so, in my craft, there actually may really be red in the gray areas just to neutralize the cyan.

Ya, I know from experience that a truly neutral gray is very hard to mix right and then lay down right..
StaticAge posted:

The Bad Astronomer does explain that at the link.

For all of us who DO "see" red in that pic, if it gets opened with any graphics program and a sample of ANY of the red parts gets expanded, it is actually grey, specifically this shade:

So there really are NO simply red pixels in that pic.
I think you mean hue, not shade. Shade would refer to how light or dark it is, not the color.

And while there are no red pixels (which is RGB color space, additive color), in working with paint, mixing complements accurately converges towards neutral grays, so ultramarine blue + hansa yellow, or quinacradone magenta + a mix of phthalo green and hansa yellow, or napthol red + cobalt teal, with care and skill, mix to neutral grays the same as using white + black.

So, in painting you have the choice to use either black and white to get neutral colors, or, to present a more nuanced and variant approach to get the same gray by mixing complementary colors. The better approach, imo, is to use the latter. Why? Because, in this very image, the grays are not entirely neutral in the first place, the pixels may in general be "gray" but they are varying and have different degrees of green and cyan tones, sometimes appearing almost brownish (but not quite). And secondly, it is a very rare thing for completely neutral grays to appear in anyone's natural perception because of the various ways light affects phenomenal color. Even if you are looking a greyscale with a camera, remember that the purpose of it is to shift the color back to a truer neutral when processing the photo, so the camera's image is not "true" gray originally.
TOS
now that's a real doozy!
TOS
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DEyncourt posted:
I think it's really bizarre, because I pretty much immediately knew they looked gray instead of red.
obvs posted:
DEyncourt posted:
I think it's really bizarre, because I pretty much immediately knew they looked gray instead of red.

The more I see it, the reddish they look, but still more gray than red. Like they just lowered the saturation of the image.
TOS
if i have to see those freaky berries one more time i might have to set fire to the damn servers
TOS
please note: those aren't rubber bands

TOS
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
TOS posted:
please note: those aren't rubber bands

Body modification is one's own business, but that doesn't mean I can't find it gross.
That's an unfortunate one.

Creative, but unfortunate.
sean Royal Wombat
TOS
TOS
we interrupt this yoga session for dog balls

TOS
i like that very much and wish all cities integrated more nature into their structure
maurvir posted:

Where is this? I've seen similar holes along the Virgin River in Zion NP. They are created by rocks that roll around in the cavity.
Apparently first posted here. Somewhere in New South Wales, Australia.
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
maurvir posted:

Where is this? I've seen similar holes along the Virgin River in Zion NP. They are created by rocks that roll around in the cavity.

Holes bored by rocks tend to have flatter bottoms and tend to be in areas of constant current. It might be volcanic, I've seen lots of odd voids in coastal volcanic rocks here.
TOS
there's tons of fresh-water holes and passages in the caribbean, not sure if that's the deal here
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 913