The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
?? that's an article about seals, not cute minkeys
macnuke Afar
it could have been more cats tho
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:
she throws a little fourth-wall-breaking wink at the audience but it's a mirror image, an intant of playing with reality but in a really affectionate way

if you look at the non-mirror image you can't see the wink, in fact it looks like she's looking at the mirror image affectionately

she was just so wonderful and charismatic, love her

I think the wink is to the instructor seated by the piano, who responds with a double fingers crossed.
You just couldn't get your eyes off those little, pert, teenage ... hands ... :shifty:

you know, it's not completely necessary for you to toss my happy notions into a slop bucket then douse them in beer-reeking urine

I'm sorry, I thought you liked the beer-reeking urine ... :(
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
Some of the languages there are odd choices.
dv
user posted:

The second one is not one I recognize. The other four say "big city in Canada."

Without French it would be "midsize city in US."
Yori Program
The second one appears to be Shan. It's also upside down.
user Stupid cockwomble
dv posted:
user posted:

I mean they represent countries whose citizens are quite aware what a toilet looks like.
user Stupid cockwomble

Surgery: 1909

This image looked unsanitary to me but started a reflection by me about how I'm being unduly influenced by modern hospital furnishing design.
dv
user posted:
dv posted:
user posted:

I mean they represent countries whose citizens are quite aware what a toilet looks like.

It only takes one n00b.
jkahless Custom Title
user posted:

This image looked unsanitary to me but started a reflection by me about how I'm being unduly influenced by modern hospital furnishing design.

Go even 50 years earlier and you'll be truly horrified.
user posted:

Depending where it was, it may have been unsanitary. In 1909 a tremendous number of US doctors would not have been practicing modern medicine, still working according to the pre-germ-theory standards on which they'd been trained.
dv
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Once more, yesterday (feb 19 2017).

TOS
i did a bit of research this morning and discovered that space-x's market cap is many times the size of nasa's budget

no wonder musk is talking about going to mars
dv
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

That never gets old.
juice Inadvertently correct
It reminds me of a Looney Toons clip featuring Marvin the Martian.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
makes me think of balancing a broom

Astronomers find 7 Earth-sized planets in orbit around dwarf star:

Mind you: the colors for all of the planets in TRAPPIST-1 are just artist's renditions, AND the scale of their estimated sizes are based on the probability that these are all mostly rocky planets like those pictured in our Solar System which are of similar masses.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt posted:

Mind you: the colors for all of the planets in TRAPPIST-1 are just artist's renditions, AND the scale of their estimated sizes are based on the probability that these are all mostly rocky planets like those pictured in our Solar System which are of similar masses.

0.011 AU ? A 36 hour year? Jesus! If it's rock, it's liquid rock ...
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
DEyncourt posted:

not necessarily ... the star is only a fraction the size of ours and emits a very small amount of radiation (i believe it's called "ultracool")

i believe it's around the size of jupiter
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
If it's that small it must be pretty dense to hold a system of that size that close.
The gravity would keep them busted-up pretty good. More like balls of sand than a big rock.
Of course, I haven't followed the link or read the article; I'm just shootin' from the hip, here.
DukeofNuke posted:
DEyncourt posted:

TRAPPIST-1 is a TINY dwarf star, just a bit more massive than that required for it to sustain fusion so somewhere not much above 80 Jupiter-masses (our current estimate of that limit). This dwarf star generates about 1/2000th the light that our Sun does. If we were to take the Earth and put in the TRAPPIST-1 system at Earth's orbit it likely would be so cold that all of the Earth's atmosphere would be frozen except for helium and hydrogen.

As it happens Jupiter is about as large in diameter as any planet can be. Adding more mass to Jupiter would compress its gases more without increasing its diameter very much up to the point when fusion could be sustained at the core. When that happens a dwarf star will balloon out to a much larger size though still tiny compared to our Sun.

On the other hand: judging from the relatively few dwarf stars that we can see--because they are so small we cannot see many outside 50 light years from Earth much less study them to any degree--dwarf stars are subject to violent storms such that likely they will strip any small rocky planet like the Earth of any atmosphere.

STILL, this at least is an argument towards a relatively high prevalence of planets in star systems.
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

That never gets old.

everyone is so focused on him (musk) that they forget the other guys in the space race. Here is the amazing video of the Shepard Rocket (Blue Origin/Jeff Bezos) with the Crew Capsule being launched and than making a safe reentry and landing for both the lower stage and capsule.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3m9o97OFY

The diameter of Io's orbit around Jupiter is about 420,000 km, which is larger than the Sun's radius of about 348,000 km.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 pm.

Also here is video of Virgins spaceship 2 (richard brandsons) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9qaNLUehXA

If you come up to Oshkosh and visit the EAA Museum we have an exact replica of SpaceShip One on display! (people don't acknowledge theirs much because the main focus of theirs isn't the lucrative government space mission contracts but the yet to be established commercial space aviation sector)

TOS
Except Trappist 1 is farther than 12 parsecs from earth :P

The commercial space race is pretty awesome. I think more people talk about SpaceX because they are currently launching real payloads and are close to having a capsule rated for manned flight. I think the first manned launch is scheduled for sometime in mid 2018.

in some ways, it is as exciting as I imagine the early space program must have been.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
user Stupid cockwomble
Still no bigger than a womp rat.
dv
user posted:
Still no bigger than a womp rat.

The thing about Womp Rats... they're "not much bigger than 2 meters."

So basically, imagine these, but alive.

TOS
dv
TOS posted:
wooden gun?

It's powered by rubber bands...
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 605, 606, 607, 608, 609, 610, 611 ... 913