The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], juice
TOS
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
juice Inadvertently correct
Keepin' it classy
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Strong with The Force, he is

I think we've seen that before. Its still amusing.
Donkey Butter jerk face
well that doesn't look good for FedEx
dv
Donkey Butter posted:

Sure it does. That glass has no padding - in any sane universe, it'd be sand by the time it arrived.
dv posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

Sure it does. That glass has no padding - in any sane universe, it'd be sand by the time it arrived.

Agreed, shipping an unpadded glass object and expecting it not to crack by delivery is disingenuous.
Kirk posted:
dv posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

Agreed, shipping an unpadded glass object and expecting it not to crack by delivery is disingenuous.

It's an art project. He was aiming for the cracks.

Reddit User:
Some more info on this photograph:

This photo shows the liftoff of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Medium+ (5,4) rocket. The launch occurred at 6:53pm EST on December 7th, 2016, and the rocket delivered the WGS-8 Air Force satellite to orbit.

I'm a photojournalist covering launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and placed this camera at Space Launch Complex 37B as a part of my coverage for AmericaSpace, a space news outlet covering launches. This image was taken with a Nikon D3300 DSLR and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. As humans cannot be this close to a launch without dying, and I set up the camera about eight hours prior to liftoff, I used a sound trigger to trigger the shot. The camera was about 150 feet (more accurately, 45 yards) from the base of the rocket.

The flames around the rocket are completely normal and happen at most, if not all Delta IV launches. Excess hydrogen around the base of the rocket and launchpad ignites as the engines do. The flames create a beautiful spectacle that I was lucky enough to capture. I actually pulled the exposure up +2.5 stops in Lightroom, as my camera's settings were set to capture the rocket when it was higher off of the launchpad and the flames were brighter. As I shot in RAW, I was able to bring up the exposure to adequately represent the scene.

The camera's cheap kit lens was damaged by the acidic solid rocket rocket booster exhaust, and likely some launchpad debris such as dirt. While a filter would've saved the lens, a cheap filter would degrade image quality, and an expensive filter would've likely been more expensive than the cost of replacing the $75-100 lens. As the launch was at night, there's an increased risk of dew forming on the lens, and more glass around the camera is a bad sign. Not to mention that a camera 20 feet to the left and behind of mine had its front element completely melted. This was the 9th or so launch I setup closeup cameras for, and this was the first time I've had a lens damaged. The shot was certainly worth it!

If you'd like to follow me on Instagram, you can find it here: @johnkrausphotos. I'm on my second consecutive year of taking a photo every day and uploading it to Instagram by midnight, i.e. the "daily photo challenge."

My website is johnkrausphotos.com if you'd like to see more of my launch photography and some of my other work.

maurvir posted:
Kirk posted:
dv posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

ORLY? Send a few to me. I can generate cracks too. I even promise to try and make 'interesting' patterns.
dv
Kirk posted:
maurvir posted:
Kirk posted:
dv posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

ORLY? Send a few to me. I can generate cracks too. I even promise to try and make 'interesting' patterns.

"If I can do it, it's not art."
More like, its stupid to call that art
dv
Kirk posted:

Pretty sure we've had this conversation before.
dv posted:
Kirk posted:

Pretty sure we've had this conversation before.

No doubt. I still don't think that's art or even remotely approaching it.
The idea of using bacteria to help the immune system fight cancer makes me a bit squeamish.
More potential improvements on the break-through perovskite solar cells. This sort of thing will likely save us from global warming.

Donkey Butter jerk face
I think you guys give the people of the internet way too much credit. All they would see is that fedex broke the packages they shipped, then work themselves up into an outrage about it.
Donkey Butter posted:
I think you guys give the people of the internet way too much credit. All they would see is that fedex broke the packages they shipped, then work themselves up into an outrage about it.

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was planned as part of the art.

Some guy thinks: "what if I make some glass cubes that fit exactly into fedex shipping boxes, ship them, and see what happens".

See what happens includes both "the glass cubes" will crack, AND, the reaction of people when the pictures of the cracked cubes are published.

That is art. Even if you don't get it or like it.

And yes, we had this discussion before, and this time it will end in the same place. Art is stick fiddling subjective.
Yes and that still ain't art. :P
TOS
photographer in northern ontario captures "light pillars"

more on imgur ... really amazing photos
Light pillars are very neat. I hope to travel to see those plus the northern lights at the next solar maximum.

Yeah, this has been posted before, but it's still cool. :shrug:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:
Yes and that still ain't art. :P

Its a visualization of the stresses each box was subjected to.
I suppose if you were the kind of person who uses art jargon you could make the argument that each one tells the story of the journey each box took... so art?
I sure hope he had a plastic film applied to the inside of those blocks, otherwise this little experiment was a real danger to people handling those boxes.
Art requires some cleverness to get a point or points across. That's just random damage from shipping.
Kirk posted:
Art requires some cleverness to get a point or points across. That's just random damage from shipping.

sub

jec

tive

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Kirk posted:
Art requires some cleverness to get a point or points across.

Fitting glass cubicles into shipping boxes and convincing museums to display the results requires Pollock levels of cleverness. The point? Art is life and we're living it. The suckers paying for it are the true connoisseurs.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I was at a client's house a number of years ago and he had a piece of black felt (the kind you can get from any fabric shop) that was 1 square meter hung on his wall with safety pins. That piece of "art" cost him over $4,000.

Form him it was art, because he believed the story the artist told him, and what that piece of art represented, and he was happy paying the price for that art.

to me, it was just $2 piece of fabric pinned to a wall.

Art is in the story, if you like the story then you may like the art.
TOS
i think trump should appoint kirk to be the head of a commission that decides what is and isn't art
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599, 600 ... 912