The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599 ... 913
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
Kirk posted:
Awww, it fell down.

I rode through that tree in a car when I was a kid.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:
Word of the Day - Vertiginously

We really should try to drag it back to the US, melt it down, and sell it as bottled water. Given its size, I'd guess a fair amount would survive the trip.
juice Inadvertently correct
The link suggests it will shatter on contact and disappear quickly.
We don't need the whole thing. One of the smaller pieces would probably be fine. Wrap it in a large plastic bag so it melts a little slower and tow it back to LA. ;)
juice posted:

I really gotta do better on my sarcasm... :(
maurvir posted:
juice posted:

I really gotta do better on my sarcasm... :(

Sorry. I must have been channeling Kirk there. ;)
Since that scenario has been seriously 'floated' for years amongst fresh water / water company discussions, I didn't think it was a joke. It would work according to the studies I've seen. The only real issue is finding the right size chunk that'll hold together for the trip.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:

OK, seriously; who takes a 'Vette out in a snowstorm? Except that idiot ...
Kirk posted:
Since that scenario has been seriously 'floated' for years amongst fresh water / water company discussions, I didn't think it was a joke. It would work according to the studies I've seen. The only real issue is finding the right size chunk that'll hold together for the trip.

It was actually done for a while before filtering became a thing, and probably still is in some parts of the world. However, trying to haul an Antarctic iceberg across the equator is probably a non-starter. If you really want it that bad, melt it on site and store the liquid water in clean tanks, then bring the pure water in liquid form back. If you could clean it up enough, or find a brand new one, one of those transcontinental oil tankers would do the job nicely.

Or, if the bragging rights and market potential just aren't there, run locally sourced water through an RO filter, perc it through some charcoal post filters to keep it from tasting stale, and call it a day.
maurvir posted:
Kirk posted:

It was actually done for a while before filtering became a thing, and probably still is in some parts of the world. However, trying to haul an Antarctic iceberg across the equator is probably a non-starter. If you really want it that bad, melt it on site and store the liquid water in clean tanks, then bring the pure water in liquid form back. If you could clean it up enough, or find a brand new one, one of those transcontinental oil tankers would do the job nicely.

Or, if the bragging rights and market potential just aren't there, run locally sourced water through an RO filter, perc it through some charcoal post filters to keep it from tasting stale, and call it a day.

Wrap it in a big plastic bag and tow it. Just adding a little insulation and minimizing the salt water intrusion into the bag would be enough. That's estimated to be cheaper than typical RO systems when salt water is the starting source. RO treatment of treated wastewater is cheap enough however that towing an iceberg is unnecessary.
A diorama so detailed that the maker included splashing raindrops:

Speculation was that the effect was achieved by using a thin filament coated with a fast-drying resin.
That is incredibly impressive. :awe:
The Barbie Typewriter HAS a hidden feature which allowed users to type in one of four substitution codes:

Pictured is the earliest model and only one of several which has this feature.

There are secret key combination that needed to be pressed to access it or to revert back to normal typing. THAT was left out of the instruction manuals but can be read at the above site.
user Stupid cockwomble
What's a typewriter?
dv
user posted:
What's a typewriter?

A daisywheel printer with analog input.
user Stupid cockwomble
daisywheel printer?
TOS
rat-a-tat-a-tat-tat
sturner Ancient Soldier
dv posted:
Metacell posted:
maurvir posted:
macnuke posted:
yes, because you treat all guns as loaded

This. Unless the gun is physically apart in pieces on the table, it's loaded. Even if you just unloaded it, it's still "loaded".

Then why even mention the word "loaded?"

EMPHasis.

Because most unintentional discharges occur with an "unloaded" gun.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

daaaaaaaaamn
Vulture 420
DEyncourt posted:
The Barbie Typewriter HAS a hidden feature which allowed users to type in one of four substitution codes:

Pictured is the earliest model and only one of several which has this feature.

There are secret key combination that needed to be pressed to access it or to revert back to normal typing. THAT was left out of the instruction manuals but can be read at the above site.

Everyone knows girls can't keep secrets.
ukimalefu posted:

Amazing animated GIF. Perfect placement by the photographer to capture it all too.

What good customer service looks like. :paranoid:
dv
Stories like that renew my faith in humanity.
I built those as toys as a kid.
"How some cool silent film effects were done":

Animated GIFs showing how they were done in some classic slient films like "Modern Times" and "Safety Last".
TOS

basically, rio's grand olympic stadium is already falling apart; it's still being used occasionally for soccer matches, but most of the venues are already either abandoned or crumbling ... even an olympics-related city park has shut down, along with a magnificent cable car that was trumpeted as benefiting the poor after the games

massive transit projects that were supposed to boost the economy are barely used because the tickets are way too expensive (the government was going to subsidize it but it went broke)

all told the olympics and world cup before it cost $20+ billion, and the nation now is facing severe austerity due to an unprecedented financial crisis

(note: text of linked article is in portuguese but the pictures tell the tale)

i wonder if anyone will ever again believe the "olympics will boost the economy" claim?
user Stupid cockwomble
they always fall for it

too much money to be made
Pariah Know Your Enemy
What a good boy!
Gandhi looks cool Maurvir :D
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599 ... 913