The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
2001 technology

TR2, still great after all this time.
The tricoder (spectrophotometer) is almost here

Kirk posted:
The tricoder (spectrophotometer) is almost here

Working on an image type recognition now of plant diseases for smart phones.
macnuke Afar
Metacell posted:
maurvir posted:
macnuke posted:
yes, because you treat all guns as loaded

This. Unless the gun is physically apart in pieces on the table, it's loaded. Even if you just unloaded it, it's still "loaded".

Then why even mention the word "loaded?"

the sign is for "Idiots"
One repeats the word 'loaded' frequently even when unnecessary because the consequences of a mistake are dire.
Twitter post records a lot of the crap being offered at CES 2017:

REMEMBER: "protecting your health" is just one of many totally meaningless weasel phrases used to convey a good impression without saying anything which could be legally actionable.
Donkey Butter jerk face
there were some truly awful "inventions" in there.
user Stupid cockwomble
comfortable for who?
dv
DEyncourt posted:

Ive seen bird strikes cause more damage. "Drone" is the new "UFO."
dv
Also, does a 737 actually have a radar? Otherwise, is it still a radome or just s nose?
dv posted:
Also, does a 737 actually have a radar? Otherwise, is it still a radome or just s nose?

I believe that practically all passenger jetliners have radomes as their noses. Being at the front end it is a good place for such devices and is a good use for otherwise unusable space.
sean Royal Wombat
dv posted:

Yes, the 737 has got a weather radar tucked in there, as do basically all modern airliners.
TOS
dv posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Ive seen bird strikes cause more damage. "Drone" is the new "UFO."

bird strikes do bring down planes, you know
dv
sean posted:
dv posted:

Yes, the 737 has got a weather radar tucked in there, as do basically all modern airliners.

Cool. TIL.

(I honestly thought they just got telemetry from the ground.)
ukimalefu posted:

Is this site for vampires or ghouls?

Yeah, yeah, I understand that having such a severe dietary restriction could at least complicate one's dating possibilities, but to exclude 98.5% of the population for THIS reason?

On the other hand, if people using this site are among the imbeciles who are "gluten-sensitive" or apply some other such nonsense term to themselves, then they deserve what they (don't) get.
sean Royal Wombat
dv posted:
(I honestly thought they just got telemetry from the ground.)

The pictured radar is a weather radar. It's for mapping precipitation ahead of the aircraft. It is not used for traffic avoidance or navigation.
Satellite WX data (i.e. data relayed from ground stations to the aircraft via a satellite data link) is usually delayed by several minutes, and therefore is great for getting the 'Big Picture' on weather ahead, but, when it comes to flying an approach between storms, for example, onboard weather radar is a far more real-time source. Afaik, every major airliner in service today has an onboard weather radar.

A number of small aircraft can also optionally be equipped with the same technology (obviously, on a smaller scale). For example, the black protrusion near the end of the right hand wing on this Pilatus PC-12 contains an onboard weather radar.
TOS
always did have a soft spot for pilatus planes
user Stupid cockwomble
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Amatuer archeologist spent £32 K to buy land to reveal what may be a large though once-lost medieval town on the border of Wales:

The article points out that many modern British cities are built on top of the remains of their older versions. For most places construction has largely removed any archeological remains.

On the other hand there are places outside of modern towns where the precise location of a medieval village or town was not too accurate, and that time and erosion and farming may have erased any surface evidence as had happened in the case of the medieval town of Trellech.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:
For TOS

LOL, that woman looks just like a chick I dated in highschool, skinny as could be with giant tits.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
juice posted:
Can you install Mint on it?

/me pages Par

Someday.
TOS
deadpool and spidey

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
juice Inadvertently correct
No Sam Jackson joke?
We've already had a few snakes on planes. I figured one more didn't necessarily deserve much beyond a link.
Awww, it fell down.

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:03 pm.

Snowplant is shown below. I've only seen it a few times and never as nice as this picture. These colors are not retouched. It really is that red.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598 ... 913