The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 918
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], j_tso, Séamas, ukimalefu
obvs posted:
Farmerkev posted:
C. Ives posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
Its a BOPP (biaxially oriented polypropylene) film with acrylic adhesive, i.e. pretty typical tape. It should not be any quieter than typical tapes in use. If you want a quiet tape, buy a tape with PVC film and isoprene adhesive.

http://www.eurocel.it/contenuti/prodott ... PP36NN.pdf

Kirk, don't ever change.

If you want me to laugh, it needs to be a real joke. Not something misogynistic. Yes, I will retreat to technically correct when things are in bad taste.

This confuses me.

Yeah, me too.

Tape to put over a woman's mouth is how he took the picture.
:eek:

Not "doesn't make noise when you peel it"?

If you want tape that does not make much noise when you peel if off the roll, use my technically correct answer. If you want a darker interpretation, use Pariah's guestimate.
user Stupid cockwomble
If you're that embarrassed about other people thinking you are farting you shouldn't be using tape.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:
obvs posted:
Farmerkev posted:
C. Ives posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
Its a BOPP (biaxially oriented polypropylene) film with acrylic adhesive, i.e. pretty typical tape. It should not be any quieter than typical tapes in use. If you want a quiet tape, buy a tape with PVC film and isoprene adhesive.

Kirk, don't ever change.

If you want me to laugh, it needs to be a real joke. Not something misogynistic. Yes, I will retreat to technically correct when things are in bad taste.

This confuses me.

Yeah, me too.

If you want tape that does not make much noise when you peel if off the roll, use my technically correct answer. If you want a darker interpretation, use Pariah's guestimate.

I really don't know what you are on about. My comment "Kirk, don't ever change" was because you provided a technical document to back up your assertion.
I am 100% baffled by the response about taping a woman's mouth.
TOS
user posted:
If you're that embarrassed about other people thinking you are farting you shouldn't be using tape.

winner, best sentence for taking out of context category, 2016 stackie awards
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
i guess kev is obsolete now too

juice Inadvertently correct
That is slick. I'll have to remember that when mj is finally legalized in this state.
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
obvs posted:
Farmerkev posted:
C. Ives posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:
Pariah posted:
Kirk posted:

Kirk, don't ever change.

This confuses me.

Yeah, me too.

I really don't know what you are on about. My comment "Kirk, don't ever change" was because you provided a technical document to back up your assertion.
I am 100% baffled by the response about taping a woman's mouth.

You are not the only person to use that phrase with me. Often it is used as a slam on me. As for the rest, the cynic in me considers all apparent possibilities when trying to come up with a potential response. I generally try to keep things on the positive side. However the cynic got the best of me and I figured the dark intent might have been what people noticed this time around. My apologies.

Regarding the technical details on the tape, the link is Eurocel's data sheet on their tape. I needed that to get information on the film and adhesive they were using. After I had that, I could give an opinion from personal experience. I've used many many different types of tapes.

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:06 pm.

dv
TOS posted:
i guess kev is obsolete now too

I recognize the stuff that robot is made out of.

1) It might work. Indoors.
2) It will be more expensive than the food.
Needs to use a staggered grid instead of a straight grid to get a few more plants in there.

And no, that equipment cannot withstand harsh weather for long. It'll need weather shields. It'd be awesome in a green house environment.

Still it is a cool idea for gardening. I might try it after I retire.
dv
Don't get me wrong. I'd love one in a greenhouse.

But, like homebrew CNC machines or 3D printers (both of which I have), it's more of a niche product that's incredibly useful for 1% of the people who own one, and for the rest it's more a statement about ideals than a practical thing.
dv
I also like that it's a machine that automatically detects and kills lifeforms.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Half the fun of gardening is growing and tending the plants yourself. You can keep your stick fiddling robot gardener.
dv posted:

I'm curious what algorithm its using to decide what is a weed. Is it anything away from the growing plant? If so, a crawling plant, like strawberries, might have every red berry mushed into the soil and that would be sad. ;)

Really the only chore is irrigation. I always string drip lines anyway.
Warning, it may be habit forming.

dv
Kirk posted:
dv posted:

I'm curious what algorithm its using to decide what is a weed. Is it anything away from the growing plant? If so, a crawling plant, like strawberries, might have every red berry mushed into the soil and that would be sad. ;)

Is it open source? I want to add a speaker so it can play back the Dalek "Ex-ter-min-ate" sound while it pounds weeds into the ground.
dv posted:
Kirk posted:
dv posted:

Is it open source? I want to add a speaker so it can play back the Dalek "Ex-ter-min-ate" sound while it pounds weeds into the ground.

It needs a gripper to pluck weeds from the soil. Pounding won't work for most weeds.
I'm also curious if weeds that grow close to the garden plant might go unnoticed and need humans to help out.

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:02 pm.

dv
Kirk posted:
dv posted:
Kirk posted:
dv posted:

It needs a gripper to pluck weeds from the soil. Pounding won't work for most weeds.

...and that is how Kirk found his retirement project. The End.
TOS
yes, it's open source

they also claim it's cheaper than retail-purchased vegetables

Last edited by TOS on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:20 pm.

I've got plenty to keep me occupied for at least two years. After that maybe.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Needs a laser.
A laser would work to kill the weeds. However it would also require safety interlocks and expensive protective eyewear when around the equipment. So too much hassle for the slight benefit.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I was going to post Chris Hardwick's now chuck tingle book, but people not tallgeese aren't allowed to post Chuck Tingle stuff.

Which is too bad, the way this place has gone, we may never get Chuck Tingle content again.
TOS
mmaverick posted:
I was going to post Chris Hardwick's now chuck tingle book, but people not tallgeese aren't allowed to post Chuck Tingle stuff.

Which is too bad, the way this place has gone, we may never get Chuck Tingle content again.

and where exactly has this place gone?
Yori Program
15095629_1511599248864217_2508837550180587916_n.png

If you get an "access denied" message, it's because they don't like your country. They think that can stop me. I have plenty of oil money to buy all the rocks I want. Or I can pick one of the ground for free and sell it for half their price.
TOS
still want to move to canada?
dv
TOS posted:
still want to move to canada?

A police car got skooshed and nobody got shot, so yes.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

I'm thinking no. Funny, but no.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
ukimalefu posted:

That made me giggle. Where can I get these? :)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 918