The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, but what about the guy on the right they put down?
TOS
oh that's just blood sacrifice to baal ... chief religion in canada
TOS
dv
TOS posted:

Have you shown your kids that, and have they stopped screaming?
dv
christmas.jpg
user Stupid cockwomble
that was good
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
macnuke Afar
:lol:
that didn't take long to reveal
TOS
that poor kid!
Apple sponsored Porsche from 1980, they must have had more Apple II money than they knew what to do with.

In the previous year the same car was driven by Paul Newman to 2nd place overall at the Le Mans 24.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
j_tso posted:
Apple sponsored Porsche from 1980, they must have had more Apple II money than they knew what to do with.

In the previous year the same car was driven by Paul Newman to 2nd place overall at the Le Mans 24.

Wow. I always wondered why apple never sponsored sports. But they actually did once.
ukimalefu posted:
j_tso posted:

Wow. I always wondered why apple never sponsored sports. But they actually did once.

Probably due to Woz, the OTHER Steve at Apple.

He was also the primary sponsor of the series of 7 US Festivals in 1982-3.
TOS
okay that is wonderful
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Do you hear "Blue Danube" playing as you watch that?
ukimalefu posted:

Is that a communications dish swinging around, or a radar? If it's a critical radar for docking alignment, can a phased array unit not suffice? A mechanical servo mechanism seems like asking for trouble for that job.
macnuke Afar
it's one of the guidance propellors ;)
Ribtor posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Is that a communications dish swinging around, or a radar? If it's a critical radar for docking alignment, can a phased array unit not suffice? A mechanical servo mechanism seems like asking for trouble for that job.

I don't know what it is, all I know is that it's a russian capsule (so you may research what those have), and the gif/video is sped up.
I know it's sped up for the video, but a swinging dish, that has to be folded out of the way no less, seems archaic in that role unless there's no alternative.
chikie The same deviled egg
Its Russian. If it aint broke, they aint fixing it.
Maybe phased array can't get the resolution required at those ranges.

But, they've been docking in space for about forty years so they must have a grip on it.
Legacy and reliability are a big deal for space hardware. Space programs have had decades to work the bugs out of mechanical gimbals. Why not continue to use that tech? Phased arrays are relatively new and have their own problems to work through still.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:
Legacy and reliability are a big deal for space hardware. Space programs have had decades to work the bugs out of mechanical gimbals. Why not continue to use that tech? Phased arrays are relatively new and have their own problems to work through still.

A lot of newer platforms are moving to phased array antennas, but anything going into LEO or beyond has to deal with much higher radiation. The control and signal processing electronics are a lot more complex, and all of that has to be rad-hardened. Otherwise, they perform FAR better in space than mechanical solutions merely on the basis of "no moving parts" alone.

I was once peripherally involved in a SBR project years ago that was going to implement a phased array (back when this was still unconventional). Unfortunately, that particular attempt is now at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. :(
TOS
Ribtor posted:
ukimalefu posted:

i don't think it's radar, exactly ... as i recall the russians use an automatic docking system that employs radio communication between station and soyuz

first they search for each other's signals, then lock on, then home in, then dock

that's the way they used to do it, anyway ... wouldn't be surprised if it still is
TOS
i saw that ... an amazing achievement, and really good news
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Oh I like this challenge.
TOS
i imagine that would be easier for some people than other
TOS
whuff ... i think that chicken was undercooked

Jerry Seinfeld with Skyler White and Elaine with Walter White.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
whuff ... i think that chicken was undercooked

Oh, human waste!
dv
ukimalefu posted:
Jerry Seinfeld with Skyler White and Elaine with Walter White.

One thing I've noticed watching recently, catching up on "OMG YOU DIDN'T SEE ____?!?!" network/broadcast TV, is that pretty much everybody is in everything.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587 ... 913