The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Nice another hint for radiation resistant /radiation damage repairing genes.
That was a fascinating article, and if the premise pans out, it will greatly improve our knowledge of how forest systems can work.
Neat, I never knew those existed. Once we move next year, I will go find them.
Yeah, those can be stretched too far and his rings look pretty huge.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Somehow, sword-swallowing seems much more reasonable to me than does getting a million crazy piercings.
user Stupid cockwomble
maurvir posted:

Idol's getting pretty funky.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The new Teddy Ruxpin will eat your soul.
obvs posted:
The new Teddy Ruxpin will eat your soul.

The original creeped me out as well.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
macnuke Afar
so kids now a days will think that just might be Barbie's grandmothers?
user Stupid cockwomble
who's Barbie?
macnuke Afar
I would be willing to bet people still run that light...
That's pretty neat though
I have to wonder what those traffic lights look like to the CROSS traffic.

If the entire pole is lit up regardless of direction then it must be rather confusing: "Good, I have the green...CRAP! MY light is red."
My bet is there's side shields so the colors are only visible in the proper direction. That's part of the rules for building street lights, IIRC.
Kirk posted:
My bet is there's side shields so the colors are only visible in the proper direction. That's part of the rules for building street lights, IIRC.

maybe some kind of electroluminescent tape
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Christmas decorations!
TOS
Kirk posted:

The problem is that it looks like the design of MOST current traffic lights were more to protect bright and hot incandescent light bulbs from weather rather than preventing cross traffic from seeing them like this one:

Because of small bird overcrowding in cities, the designers of such have been going away from classic "cones" which fully surround these lights because they make nearly ideal nesting sites except for the humans who keep taking out the nests.
What? There's side shields on those. What they don't have is bottoms. Which is good since trapped snow, moisture and bird's nests could happen otherwise.
Kirk posted:
What? There's side shields on those. What they don't have is bottoms. Which is good since trapped snow, moisture and bird's nests could happen otherwise.

And if a car is approaching from the left of that particular set of traffic lights?
At most he sees a small gleam from the domed glass on the lights peeking out along the underside.
Kirk posted:
At most he sees a small gleam from the domed glass on the lights peeking out along the underside.

So why wasn't the shielding extended to block THAT as well?

It only makes sense as a weather cover.
"2,200 years ago in Turkey, this insane rental agreement was inscribed in stone":

Quote:
Like many recent college grads today, the Neos may have been destined to join the privileged classes but were temporarily quite poor. They didn't have the money to maintain a bunch of fancy houses and slaves, so they leased the land to various people over the years—with many stipulations. The Neos asserted the right to use the shrine for three days per year and to inspect the property at any time to be sure that renters were treating it right. According to Adak, who is heading up the excavation at Teos, a huge part of the stele's text is devoted to punishments for renters who violate the agreement. "Almost half of the inscription is filled with punishment forms. If the renter gives damage to the land, does not pay the annual rent or does not repair the buildings, he will be punished. The Neos also vow to inspect the land every year," he told Hurriyet Daily News. There's also a legal mystery. "There are two particularly interesting legal terms used in the inscription, which large dictionaries have not up to now included. Ancient writers and legal documents should be examined in order to understand these words mean," he said.

[link omitted]

user Stupid cockwomble
always wondered what the Hong Kong lease looked like
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

So why wasn't the shielding extended to block THAT as well?

It only makes sense as a weather cover.

I'm sure it also serves that purpose.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575 ... 912