The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Lombo, Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir, mmaverick
justine Elitist Beer Lover
spiritcat.png
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
"Hikers on Caribbean island of Montserrat find ancient stone carvings":

They had been spotted by these hikers this past January but researchers have spent the intervening time to confirm their age and to link them to other pre-Columbian New World cultures (possibly Arawak which had spread across much of the Caribbean from South America). A preliminary estimate is that these carvings are between 1000 and 1500 years old.

a lot of people forget that the caribbean had a lot of indigenous people ... the arawak, the caribs, all gone now

family lore tells that my great-great grandmother was one of the last full-blooded caribs

How did the hikers know to report their finding to anyone? I just assume everything has been discovered. If I saw those carvings, I'd just take a picture and maybe email it to friends and family. Nobody would ever know about!
juice Inadvertently correct
That is awesome.
Mustapha Mond posted:
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
"Hikers on Caribbean island of Montserrat find ancient stone carvings":

They had been spotted by these hikers this past January but researchers have spent the intervening time to confirm their age and to link them to other pre-Columbian New World cultures (possibly Arawak which had spread across much of the Caribbean from South America). A preliminary estimate is that these carvings are between 1000 and 1500 years old.

a lot of people forget that the caribbean had a lot of indigenous people ... the arawak, the caribs, all gone now

family lore tells that my great-great grandmother was one of the last full-blooded caribs

How did the hikers know to report their finding to anyone? I just assume everything has been discovered. If I saw those carvings, I'd just take a picture and maybe email it to friends and family. Nobody would ever know about!

Probably a combination of those hikers being in region that is rarely hiked through, plus the fact that there was no mention of such petroglyphs in any tourist brochures.
TOS
user Stupid cockwomble
that'll leave a scar
jkahless Custom Title
The way her body stiffens, board like at the end worries me as to the result of that accident.
macnuke Afar
darwin at work :shrug:
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
user Stupid cockwomble
Kids REALLY like to test the sharpness of the point whenever they see those cheap wooden arrows in stores. Note the one sitting taller than the rest, where a kid possibly took it out to check the point and did not fully reseat it.
So yeah
Though with all those other toys around the arrows, this picture is likely from 40+ years ago when archery equipment was comingled with other stuff.
dv
Kirk posted:
Though with all those other toys around the arrows, this picture is likely from 40+ years ago when archery equipment was comingled with other stuff.

Nope. Sign is typeset. No more than 20 years old.

Also, store is in the UK.
Typeset didn't exist 40 years ago?
Though my 40 year old estimate was just a guess and based on the norms of what I've seen in stores around the USA. Certainly the UK will be different that way.
dv
Kirk posted:

Sure it did, but it was a lot rarer. Before there was a chicken computer in every pot desk and a laser printer in every cupboard, signs like that would 99.9% of the time have been marker-on-cardstock. (Like the other price signs there. And also like all the signs if you go to a small independent shop run by an old fogey.)

Anyway, the rest of the visible selection makes it look like it's from a flea market or antique-mall type situation, not so much a Toys'R'Us. (The goofy "A Piece of History" logo on the arrow price sign, also it looks like that wall is a tent.)

I KAN HAZ MS WORD!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:
Though my 40 year old estimate was just a guess and based on the norms of what I've seen in stores around the USA. Certainly the UK will be different that way.

The UK decimalised their coinage in '71. The little wooden tops would have been a half sovereign, not 50p.

That picture does not look old.
1971 is 45 years ago now ;)
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
maurvir posted:

These are the kind of guys that I would have no sympathy for if they wound up getting killed doing this kind of stupid human waste.
Those guys need climbing belts with short safety rope and carabiner to that cable they're clutching so tightly.
Kirk posted:
Those guys need climbing belts with short safety rope and carabiner to that cable they're clutching so tightly.

They are clutching a selfie-stick, not a cable.
jkahless Custom Title
Pithecanthropus posted:
maurvir posted:

These are the kind of guys that I would have no sympathy for if they wound up getting killed doing this kind of stupid human waste.

I have less sympathy than that, considering it's my job to scrape morons like that off the rocks. There ought to be a crime "recklessly endangering emergency responders", except then people with the ability to feel guilt, wouldn't call for help when they should.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS
jkahless posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
maurvir posted:

I have less sympathy than that, considering it's my job to scrape morons like that off the rocks. There ought to be a crime "recklessly endangering emergency responders", except then people with the ability to feel guilt, wouldn't call for help when they should.

i agree 100%

they should also have to pay for the resources expended in saving their brainless backsides
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
You guys don't get bills from the EMS?
jkahless Custom Title
Not for search and rescue, and there shouldn't be any.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
It's why I don't complain about any taxes ever.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
obvs posted:

*lol* WHY NOOOOOOTTTT??
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Metacell posted:
obvs posted:

*lol* WHY NOOOOOOTTTT??

Is that sign intending to show what it looks like it's showing?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
dv
sean Royal Wombat
Mustapha Mond posted:
Metacell posted:
obvs posted:

*lol* WHY NOOOOOOTTTT??

Is that sign intending to show what it looks like it's showing?

"Do not insert fuel nozzle into your anus." Pretty clear to me.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
dv
maurvir posted:

A third party Apple reseller near me used to have a bench like that. They went out of business a couple years ago though. :(
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540 ... 912