The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 912
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], iDaemon
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
No photoshop here

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Quote:
Some have said it's all a set-up and the prank isn't real

Cavers speculate that arrangement of broken stalagmites found in cave may be about 176,500 years old:

Previously an estimated date of 47,600 years was made but this was at the edge of the useful range of 50 K years for carbon dating. Using an alternate method for dating by measuring the uranium found in the broken stalagmites AND noting that there was a distinct change in many of them likely denoting when it was they had been broken to form these circles, they got 176,500 years old, give or take a few millennia.
Wow, that is really fascinating. Almost deserves a thread of its own.
Something stupid from Fark.
ukimalefu posted:

Sometimes misspellings, misprints, and other similar issues mean you can buy shirts like that for cheap since they just want to get the inventory cleared out. Sometimes this includes some pretty major brands. I always assumed it was knock-offs, but a lot of them locally are genuine mistakes.
user Stupid cockwomble
That looks deliberate.
dv
user posted:
That looks deliberate.

I'd put that on a bumper sticker.
Might be. The context suggests to me that, if it was deliberate, it was a case of "oh pink English on a shirt, cool."
On my bucket list before I leave LA:
That's about five days if done in one long hike. I'll have to check if they have overnight spots available for camping set up yet.

TOS
Quote:
Well, some researchers were once conducting such an experiment, but when they opened up the box, the cat was neither alive nor dead but was in fact completely missing, and they called me in to investigate. I was able to deduce that nothing very dramatic had happened. The cat had merely got fed up with being repeatedly locked up in a box and occasionally gassed and had taken the first opportunity to hoof it through the window. It was for me the work of a moment to set a saucer of milk by the window and call “Bernice” in an enticing voice -? the cat’s name was Bernice, you understand — “

“Now, wait a minute — ” said Richard.

” — and the cat was soon restored. A simple enough matter, but it seemed to create quite an impression in certain circles, and soon one thing led to another as they do and it all culminated in the thriving career you see before you.”

“Wait a minute, wait a minute,” insisted Richard, slapping the table.

“Yes?” enquired Dirk innocently.

“Now, what are you talking about, Dirk?”

“You have a problem with what I have told you?”

“Well, I hardly know where to begin,” protested Richard. “Allright. You said that some people were performing the experiment. That’snonsense. Schrodinger’s Cat isn’t a real experiment. It’s just an illustration for arguing about the idea. It’s not something you’dactually do.”

Dirk was watching him with odd attention.

“Oh, really?” he said at last. “And why not?”

“Well, there’s nothing you can test. The whole point of the ideais to think about what happens before you make your observation. Youcan’t know what’s going on inside the box without looking, and the very instant you look the wave packet collapses and the probabilities resolve. It’s self-defeating. It’s completely purposeless.”

“You are, of course, perfectly correct as far as you go,” repliedDirk, returning to his seat. He drew a cigarette out of the packet, tapped it several times on the desk, and leant across the desk and pointed the filter at Richard.

“But think about this,” he continued. “Supposing you were to introduce a psychic, someone with clairvoyant powers, into the experiment — someone who is able to divine what state of health the cat is in without opening the box. Someone who has, perhaps, a certain eerie sympathy with cats. What then? Might that furnish us with an additional insight into the problem of quantum physics?”

“Is that what they wanted to do?”

“It’s what they did.”

“Dirk, this is complete nonsense.”

Dirk raised his eyebrows challengingly.

“All right, all right,” said Richard, holding up his palms, ”let’s just follow it through. Even if I accepted — which I don’t for one second — that there was any basis at all for clairvoyance, it wouldn’t alter the fundamental undoableness of the experiment. As I said, the whole thing turns on what happens inside the box before it’s observed. It doesn’t matter how you observe it, whether you look into the box with your eyes or — well, with your mind, if you insist. If clairvoyance works, then it’s just another way of looking into the box,and if it doesn’t then of course it’s irrelevant.”

“It might depend, of course, on the view you take of clairvoyance…”

“Oh yes? And what view do you take of clairvoyance? I should be very interested to know, given your history.”

Dirk tapped the cigarette on the desk again and looked narrowly at Richard.

There was a deep and prolonged silence, disturbed only by the sound of distant crying in French.

“I take the view I have always taken,” said Dirk eventually.

“Which is?”

“That I am not clairvoyant.”

Ok, this is a scarier roller coaster malfunction...
at least they aren't stuck upside down
maurvir posted:

Meh. It's just physics.

Where does all that rain go during a storm? Yeah...

This, kids, is why you check the forecast before going caving.

I am surprised my fellow California citizens don't know how to spell desert. ;)
Arizona is troubling.
Some of those are understandable for people to not know how to spell.
Also Apple spell check says boutineer should be boutonniere.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Kirk posted:

I am surprised my fellow California citizens don't know how to spell desert. ;)
Arizona is troubling.

Banana? Seriously, Ohio.

Why are there two states so concerned with leprechauns?
user Stupid cockwomble
Hazardous flight pay.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 912