The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519 ... 913
Online now: j_tso, juice, Kirk
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I would happily sing Mr Roboto

They got it down and it just ran away.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Well, what was it supposed to do, thank them and buy them a beer?
Docily follow them home and eat the weeds in their garden?
TOS
they should have at least asked it for an explanation
Jumping goat up on the bluff to the right. Once the horns were hooked, he slid toward the lowest spot, in between the towers. I'm amazed the goat or rescuers weren't electrocuted at some point in this drama.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
I wonder what the goat was thinking while hanging there.
user Stupid cockwomble
baa baa baa

baa
Kirk posted:
Jumping goat up on the bluff to the right. Once the horns were hooked, he slid toward the lowest spot, in between the towers. I'm amazed the goat or rescuers weren't electrocuted at some point in this drama.

Horns probably aren't conductive?

The story about that goat with a video showing the rescue here.
< uki's pic >
Its to the right! Read the awning, uncouth individual!

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Certainly horn is less conductive than other body parts. However given the typical voltages of power lines, he really should have been charcoal. I can only guess the power was fortuitously off.
Those things aren't insulated?
ukimalefu posted:

Pizza and salads, fine. Since when does Little Ceasar's have juice, sandwiches, DVD rentals, and an ATM?
Kirk posted:
< uki's pic >

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Certainly horn is less conductive than other body parts. However given the typical voltages of power lines, he really should have been charcoal. I can only guess the power was fortuitously off.

But... he isn't touching the ground... and how many amps are there... and... birds are ok....

or maybe it was off
MacAddict4Life posted:
Those things aren't insulated?

The power lines? Yes, but it is not sufficient to prevent arcing. The large distance to the ground and the insulators holding the wires is where the insulation preventing arcing to the ground happens. Consult most power company websites and they will state the minimum keep-away distance to the power line. That number will vary with voltage. So when in doubt as to the voltage, keep a larger distance away than worst case. Its possible to estimate the voltage by counting the 'rings' on the insulator where the wire connects to the towers. Its typically about 100 volts per ring. It really really behooves you to comply with that minimum distance.

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm.

ukimalefu posted:
Kirk posted:
< uki's pic >

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

But... he isn't touching the ground... and how many amps are there... and... birds are ok....

or maybe it was off

For current to flow there must be a path from the wire to ground. Air makes a good insulator. Its the primary technique used to prevent arcing. The height of the wires above ground level is chosen depending on the voltage and assuring a more than safe distance for any people or vehicles that pass underneath.

The goat will be safe from electrocution while he's hanging there. However as soon as the rescuers reach up to get him down, he and the rescuers are toast. The goat and rescuers would make that connection to ground.

Birds sitting on a wire, would not make a connection to ground, hence they are safe . . . unless their spread wings would span the distance between two wires. That has killed many of our larger birds, like hawks and eagles. These days power lines are typically spaced adequately far apart that even our large birds are safe. The remaining issues for large birds are when they build nests on the towers that spans the gap between power lines. So in areas where large birds tend to use towers for nesting, baffles are placed to keep the birds away.
Or that was the ground line and not the hot line.
dv
Kirk posted:
< uki's pic >

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Nah. Birds perch on power lines, remember. His horns aren't much further apart than a bird's legs, so he'd only get a small amount of current leakage running through his head.

Probably felt tingly.

Otherwise all those shoes would catch fire too.

Now, if he'd touched the ground while he was hooked, that would have been baaaaaaad. *giggle*
TOS
did someone say electricity?

dv posted:
Kirk posted:
< uki's pic >

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Nah. Birds perch on power lines, remember. His horns aren't much further apart than a bird's legs, so he'd only get a small amount of current leakage running through his head.

Probably felt tingly.

Now, if he'd touched the ground while he was hooked, that would have been baaaaaaad. *giggle*

Go back and read the paragraph you cut out of my quote above.
dv
Kirk posted:
dv posted:
Kirk posted:
< uki's pic >

DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:

Probably felt tingly.

Go back and read the paragraph you cut out of my quote above.

I don't remember that being there. Did you add that later? :paranoid:
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
dv
Hey, it's better than a dorm room.
Not these days. These days dorms are luxury, trying to compete for students with wealthy families who aren't good test takers.
user Stupid cockwomble
::toasts some white bread on a hot plate::
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I like the guitar. If you play guitar in there you're going to be wasting someone off.
user Stupid cockwomble
user Stupid cockwomble
we all use iron lungs
TOS
flare-wielding soccer fan meets cop with pepper spray

Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Geesie posted:

Those are pretty good bars and restaurants... Club 21 has my favorite burgers in town.

I wonder if you're allowed to take down the flammable gas sign.
macnuke Afar
Alexander Supertramp posted:

I wonder if you're allowed to take down the flammable gas sign.

I think a fart in that room would require the sign to stay
TOS
"aw, what a cute kittaaaaaarrrrggghhh"

:: chomping sounds ::
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

What is really interesting is that the owner looks like one of my uncles, were he to have a sense of humor.
So how many drunks have fallen off it?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518, 519 ... 913