The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
jkahless Custom Title
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
radarman posted:

This reminds me of something. Hmmm ...
TOS
the forest is a squirter!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Engrish strikes again

Sorry about the nightmares you'll get.

Chicken skin teddy

Same "artist" also does this

And a full chicken skin suit

user Stupid cockwomble
It rubs the gravy on itself.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
Geesie posted:

does the magazine cost round about thirty bucks?
TOS posted:
Geesie posted:

does the magazine cost round about thirty bucks?

New raspberry pi, 5$
Wow, that's actually quite tempting. The old form factor made it difficult to integrate into other projects, but this looks like a natural for an embedded controller.
jkahless Custom Title
jkahless posted:

Hey, some people really go for that sort of thing. :shrug:

You probably see that in the big parking lot in the sky, right before you are born. You just don't remember it.
user Stupid cockwomble
macnuke Afar
i don't care.... i would so drive that and be happy
Recall this story about KIC 8462852, the star with the bizarre Kepler light curve:

?

Well, some further refinements of observations of that star system basically limited the possible known explanations to a swarm of comets, but do note:
Quote:
According to Marengo [whose recently released paper offered the swarm of comets explanation], more observations are needed to help settle the case of KIC 8462852.

"This is a very strange star," he said. "It reminds me of when we first discovered pulsars. They were emitting odd signals nobody had ever seen before, and the first one discovered was named LGM-1 after 'Little Green Men.'”

In the end, the LGM-1 signals turned out to be a natural phenomenon.

"We may not know yet what's going on around this star,” Marengo observed. “But that's what makes it so interesting."

Unfortunately there are some news places which are posting a link to the above story with a headline saying that "NASA Concludes..." when clearly it is far from that (the SlashDot commentary is attempting to correct that, so that headline may change).
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Recall this story about KIC 8462852, the star with the bizarre Kepler light curve:

?

Well, some further refinements of observations of that star system basically limited the possible known explanations to a swarm of comets, but do note:
Quote:
According to Marengo [whose recently released paper offered the swarm of comets explanation], more observations are needed to help settle the case of KIC 8462852.

"This is a very strange star," he said. "It reminds me of when we first discovered pulsars. They were emitting odd signals nobody had ever seen before, and the first one discovered was named LGM-1 after 'Little Green Men.'”

"We may not know yet what's going on around this star,” Marengo observed. “But that's what makes it so interesting."

Unfortunately there are some news places which are posting a link to the above story with a headline saying that "NASA Concludes..." when clearly it is far from that (the SlashDot commentary is attempting to correct that, so that headline may change).

my fantasy is that it will turn out to be something reasonable but massive and will end up with the embarrassed tossing-out of the dark matter theory
TOS
radarman posted:

"how to pucker tos' sphincter with just one photo"
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

?

Quote:

my fantasy is that it will turn out to be something reasonable but massive and will end up with the embarrassed tossing-out of the dark matter theory

Most likely whatever is happening in this star system is planetary/stellar in scale.

Anything that would involve tossing out dark matter would have to explain the rotation of spiral galaxies. Remember that the term "dark matter" is merely a placeholder: we know that something is there by its observable gravitational effects but we simply do not know what it is.

Being on completely different scales, the explanations of each are very unlikely to overlap.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

?

Quote:

Most likely whatever is happening in this star system is planetary/stellar in scale.

Anything that would involve tossing out dark matter would have to explain the rotation of spiral galaxies. Remember that the term "dark matter" is merely a placeholder: we know that something is there by its observable gravitational effects but we simply do not know what it is.

Being on completely different scales, the explanations of each are very unlikely to overlap.

that's why it's a fantasy and not a hypothesis
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS posted:
radarman posted:

I was going to say that that guy had balls of steel, but I hope not.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
obvs posted:
TOS posted:
radarman posted:

I was going to say that that guy had balls of steel, but I hope not.

Looks like fun.
TOS
justine Elitist Beer Lover
handbikini.jpg
TOS
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 913