The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke posted:
How about a string-of-pearls of variously sized planetoids?

MAYBE that would partially explain the lower right light graph at least in terms of how it has such variability, BUT not in terms of the intensity of the dips in brightness. To be able to cut off 22% of that star's light, that would mean that the cumulative cross-sections of all of those planetoids have to be about 22 times that of Jupiter and it is hard to explain that.
There are still a lot of mysteries out there to be explained.
I'm not finding the article I read earlier. However it explained the dips in that star's brightness without resorting to aliens. If the star has an extremely fast rotational period, it will be significantly oblate. The point being an oblate sphere will not have a constant brightness when viewed from different angles. If from Earth we view that star from an angle where the polar region and the equatorial region alternately pass through our view, then the brightness will vary periodically over time.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Mayim Bialik looks amazing in that photo. Too bad she's batshit crazy.
user Stupid cockwomble
That can be good at times...
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
Kirk posted:
I'm not finding the article I read earlier. However it explained the dips in that star's brightness without resorting to aliens. If the star has an extremely fast rotational period, it will be significantly oblate. The point being an oblate sphere will not have a constant brightness when viewed from different angles. If from Earth we view that star from an angle where the polar region and the equatorial region alternately pass through our view, then the brightness will vary periodically over time.

Sure. As I wrote in the post above yours: while the variable brightness of the star's surface due to its oblateness can explain the asymmetry of the lower left graph and partially explain the variability of the lower right graph, there is still no explanation for the intensity of those drops in brightness.

Something just occurred to me: what if what we are seeing is a pairing of a mostly "clean" black hole and the star, at least for the lower left graph? The black hole would have to be mostly clean--meaning that there isn't much of an accretion disk around it because that disk itself would be glowing and adding to the star's overall brightness--and would likely be some considerable distance from the star so that the black hole isn't actively stealing matter from the star. So the black hole passes between us and the star and the gravitational lensing of the black hole redirected about 15% of the star's light away from us. Perhaps a spectrographic analysis of the light being emitted by the star during another passage (as opposed to just the brightness) could reveal this. Of course an orbit of just one billion miles--about 10% larger than Saturn's orbit around our Sun--means we would have to wait around 35 years for the next passage.

And even THAT wouldn't explain the lower right graph.
The article I read had an oblate star being adequate to explain the entire brightness curve. All that's required is a particular viewing angle for Earth.
Warin posted:

How is she crazy? I read somewhere she has a PHD in science, but i've never heard that she was batshit crazy. :)
justine posted:
Warin posted:

How is she crazy? I read somewhere she has a PHD in science, but i've never heard that she was batshit crazy. :)

Breast-fed her son until he was 4. That's all I know.
ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:
Warin posted:

I think that's too old, but i don't see that as crazy. Not like Alecia Silverstone chewing up her sons food and spitting it into his mouth.
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:
Warin posted:

I think that's too old, but i don't see that as crazy. Not like Alecia Silverstone chewing up her sons food and spitting it into his mouth.

I didn't know that one
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:
Warin posted:

I didn't know that one

There's even video. Or was.
That door is cool and creepy at the same time.
Symmetrical except for the male and female stone cutting, pull in the middle of the door and the wood near it. I wonder why? That's incredible artwork.
TOS
justine posted:
ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:
Warin posted:

bialik is also big into attacment parenting, including co-sleeping, which a lot of people find controversial for some reason

she is also a major anti-vaxxer
TOS posted:

And there's the crazy.
TOS
justine posted:
TOS posted:

And there's the crazy.

glad to be of service, ma'am
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
heh

i remember keeping the lid off my old vcr just so i could watch it do that
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
They left out the part where the tape gets completely pulled out and wound around the mechanism and ruins the VCR and the tape.
user Stupid cockwomble
My nice Sony VCR began to refuse to fully eject the tape. Ruined a couple of nice movies. I need to open it up and try to figure out what's wrong - one of those spindles might not be fully retracting.
drinkandprime.jpg
hah, good one
justine posted:
Warin posted:

She's an advocate of attachment parenting. That, in and of itself, doesn't make her crazy I suppose. But a lot of what she believes (google "elimination control") is definitely a little loopy.
user posted:
My nice Sony VCR began to refuse to fully eject the tape. Ruined a couple of nice movies. I need to open it up and try to figure out what's wrong - one of those spindles might not be fully retracting.

Probably a worn belt drive or dirt.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
(google "elimination control")

Sounds like housebreaking a dog

This, and similar, pictures should be sent to every anti-vaxxer retard in the country. It might not make them less retarded, but it might give them pause before saying anything else stupid.
jkahless Custom Title
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
radarman posted:
[snip of children in iron lungs]

This, and similar, pictures should be sent to every anti-vaxxer retard in the country. It might not make them less retarded, but it might give them pause before saying anything else stupid.

You might be surprised by the level of resistance that the anti-vaxxers have towards getting vaccinations. Just an example: there is a movement to have children get "natural" immunity from diseases like pertussis (whooping cough) by essentially (and needlessly) infecting them. Note the naturopathic doctor being written about had her own three children suffering through up to 5 months of pertussis without allowing other doctors to examine them or treat their symptoms or--needless to say--get the younger ones vaccinated when her eldest came home with the disease. Fortunately all of her children survived the ordeal (on the other hand: most US deaths from pertussis--even when fully treated--happens among infants who are usually too young to get vaccinations. The article does not clearly mention the children's ages except that one--the middle one?--was 3-years-old).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 469, 470, 471, 472, 473, 474, 475 ... 912