The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 914
Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
The amish have blimps now?

yeah, you all thought those jokes were sooooooo funny ...
jkahless posted:
Kirk posted:
Though I'm curious why they didn't wrap the dragging tether a few times around a suitably large oak at some point.
Probably because they did a risk assessment and decided that the risk of injury or death wasn't worth it?

That depends on how much tether is dragging as well as its speed across the ground. Though certainly there is risk. How much is it worth to save a multimillion dollar electronics item instead of filling it full of lead?

Though for the replacement aerostats, I fully expect there will be a built-in 'kill switch' that'll bleed off helium and bring it down gracefully.
chikie The same deviled egg
Kirk posted:
ukimalefu posted:
The amish have blimps now?

The Army lost an aerostat (tethered blimp tore free of its mooring) and it floated free over Pennsylvania for a while yesterday. I'm going to guess engineering failed to adequately estimate the wind forces that might operate on the mooring. My eyeball estimate is that mooring looks kinda flimsy. Though I suppose it could also be operator error lashing it down properly when moored. The dragging tether broke lots of power lines along the way. Last I read, the local police filled it full of buckshot holes to leak out the remaining helium and bring it down. Though I'm curious why they didn't wrap the dragging tether a few times around a suitably large oak at some point.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... the-loose/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... nce-blimp/

And since this is a picture thread, here's a nice one of the JLENS aerostat

It wasn't moored like that when it broke free. It was deployed something like 10,000' in the air. The tethers were supposed to be able to withstand ~ 100 mph winds, but apparently they failed somehow.
Ah OK, I hadn't heard that part. Ten thousand feet of cable without any significant defect is a tall order.

<edit> Wait, that Washington Post article said it did pull away from its mooring.

Last edited by Kirk on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:02 pm.

jkahless Custom Title
An aerostat is filled to near atmospheric pressure, puncturing it is likely to lead to a soft landing, which is what happened. Patch her up and she's good to go, with minimum risk to anyone involved.

BTW, according to the article, the tether was 1/8" Vectran, which has a BS of 12.5kN. If they used a laughably low SF of 1.5, that would only require 122 knots to hit the breaking strain, a SF of 2 would give 129 knots.
Except for the electronics that likely also took at least a few lead pellets and will need repair.
TOS
I've seen a few pics like that of kids willing to risk their lives similarly. Immortal they are not.
jkahless Custom Title
Much better than someone's arm. Your people are your first responsibility, not some engineer's precious electronics.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The kids that die don't make to the internet I guess.

But I've seen videos of idiot that didn't make it to the pool, and the jump wasn't anywhere near that far/high.
TOS
jkahless posted:
Much better than someone's arm. Your people are your first responsibility, not some engineer's precious electronics.

General to Private - Kid, see that aerostat floating up there? Its worth somewhere north of $150 million bucks. If I gave you one million would you risk your arm to try and wrap that dragging tether around a large tree a few times?
Private - Hell yes, General!
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
jkahless posted:

General to Private - Kid, see that aerostat floating up there? Its worth somewhere north of $150 million bucks. If I gave you one million would you risk your arm to try and wrap that dragging tether around a large tree a few times?
Private - Hell yes, General!

Ever see what a piece of rope under tension can do to a man?
Yup, hence the offering of significant cash to take the risk of serious bodily injury. However that is likely not what could even happen, so its a moot point.
jkahless Custom Title
I hope you do better risk assessments in your real life job than you do here.
For a million bucks I'd try for that rope myself. That was the point of offering a choice with a monetary incentive that would be worth it. Not that the military would likely do such a thing regardless.

Stay away from (or at least be very careful around) small furry forest creatures when out West.
This is why one should wear their seatbelt.
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
For a million bucks I'd try for that rope myself. That was the point of offering a choice with a monetary incentive that would be worth it. Not that the military would likely do such a thing regardless.

I couldn't blame anyone for accepting the challenge, I'd probably be right there next to you to try myself. However, I can blame anyone issuing the challenge, when there was a relatively safe method that would only cost money for repairs.
The great pumpkin is loose in Peoria.

Last edited by Kirk on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:47 pm.

jkahless posted:
Kirk posted:

I couldn't blame anyone for accepting the challenge, I'd probably be right there next to you to try myself. However, I can blame anyone issuing the challenge, when there was a relatively safe method that would only cost money for repairs.

Depends on how much is lost. $170 million versus one million probably perhaps plus lifetime medical coverage for the courageous person willing to try. Further only if he or she is willing, not by simple orders.

I'm willing to let ten million bucks go poof for somebody's health, but $170 million? At that point its time to ask for well recompensed volunteers. I'm sorry but I don't completely go for the individual's health being always the most important thing.
jkahless Custom Title
You're talking as if it's going to be a total constructive loss though. Likely the repair cost would not remotely approach the replacement value. Soft landing remember?
Bullet holes in electronics, remember? That sort of thing is not much cheaper to repair than buying new electronics.
chikie The same deviled egg
It would be really dumb to have people try and tie up those tethers for several reasons. 1) You don't know if somewhere else its touching live electrical wires and could electrocute you. 2) You tie it to a tree and the tree's roots are not strong enough to hold down the blimp. Now you have extra debris being pulled along.
TOS
Kirk posted:
This is why one should wear their seatbelt.

jeeeeeeezus cheeeerist

:eek:
This made the news not because he was killed by being ejected from his car and hit something. That is an unfortunately common occurrence. He made the news because he flew upwards about 30 feet and hit the overhead sign. Note he likely would have survived if he had his seat belt on correctly.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Kirk posted:
This made the news not because he was killed by being ejected from his car and hit something. That is an unfortunately common occurrence. He made the news because he flew upwards about 30 feet and hit the overhead sign. Note he likely would have survived if he had his seat belt on correctly.

There was a far worse picture of that guy still dangling from the sign. I appreciate your not posting it.

Also, this is why I consider anyone who doesn't wear their seatbelt in a car to be a retard. No exceptions.
I can't imagine the dogs like that thing.
I know I certainly don't ;)
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Kirk posted:

Stay away from (or at least be very careful around) small furry forest creatures when out West.
Woohoo New Mexico!
TEOO - Yeah, I thought about making a snarky comment about the four corners area and New Mexico in particular but desisted. ;) I've hunted deer and elk near there several times and survived.

Nice pic, uki. Central Park in the Fall.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I love standing on the edge of Central Park and looking straight down the street. Seeing all of the trees on one side and all of the buildings on the other from the ground level is an amazing thing.
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:
Bullet holes in electronics, remember? That sort of thing is not much cheaper to repair than buying new electronics.

The thing is 70 meters long. :p Aim anywhere but the instrument package.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:

Dakota building just about center in the shot.
TOS
oh yeah, good call

You knew it was going to happen...
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Kirk posted:

Or if he had not been driving like a complete dick. He was passing on the shoulder after weaving through traffic.

It is sad that he died, but I confess to wishing for accidents on people who drive like that.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 914