The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso, Majestic-12 [Bot]
obvs posted:
DEyncourt posted:
While this is unlikely, in order to rule out ALL possibilities the astronomers who spotted this odd star have asked that some time at the SETI project be devoted to this star.
That seems reasonable, and very interesting.

On this week's The Skeptics Guide to the Universe (a weekly podcast that I highly recommend for anyone interested in science), the hosts pointed out that they had asked Seth Shostak (the senior astronomer of SETI) in an interview a while back if SETI could be used for such alien intelligence detection, and he basically said "no" because SETI is a rather blunt instrument. For true detection Shostak thought that a radio observatory dedicated SOLELY for observations of a particular target star system would be required. So that request to SETI may be more in the nature of "this is what we can ask for" as opposed to being a definitive way of finding out if an alien intelligence may be at work in this star system.

There are other problems:
1) While the radio band is useful to use since it generally would not be interfered with by MOST emanations from most stars, there is no guarantee that it will be in constant use once it is figured out by any civilization. Even our own has indications that perhaps within the next 50 years or less most or all of the radio and TV broadcast stations will be shutdown in favor of their equivalents via cable and the Internet, so it may be that there is only a relatively short period of a century or two when such detections can be useful.

2) It may be that happenstance will find that an alien civilization will use another means for ground-to-spaceship communications other than radio. Say, they might discover masers ("lasers" that use the microwave band) early on and use that instead.

3) Perhaps an alien civilization will luck into some form of communication which would have considerable advantages over radio such as being (nearly) instantaneous (yeah, that would break relativity so unlikely but not outside of possible) or being all-but-unblockable (say, neutrino-based which has LOTS of problems from the human point-of-view such as a predictable way of generating/directing neutrinos and of intercepting them, but that may just be lack of imagination on our part).
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
What a difference a half century makes, huh?
So the moon was once a cool woven piece of cloth, but now its like plastic or something.
user Stupid cockwomble
Before that it was cheese.
user Stupid cockwomble
They will always be Al and Kelly Bundy to me

Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS
jebus, macabre is right
user Stupid cockwomble
Those parachutes (parasails?) can't be cheap.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... jumping out of a perfectly good airplane ...
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
ukimalefu posted:
They will always be Al and Kelly Bundy to me

Wow.

They look adorable.
TOS
Geesie posted:

i don't suppose there's any point in asking why a person would do such a thing ...?
TOS posted:
Geesie posted:

i don't suppose there's any point in asking why a person would do such a thing ...?

Hey--if you've got it, FLAUNT it.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:
Geesie posted:

Hey--if you've got it, FLAUNT it.

flaunt what? stupidity?
TOS
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
If that lake is not downstream of a glacier, its the wrong color to have living plants along its edges. ;)
Powdered rock suspended in water looks like that. Then again so does a high copper concentration.
Kirk posted:
If that lake is not downstream of a glacier, its the wrong color to have living plants along its edges. ;)
Powdered rock suspended in water looks like that. Then again so does a high copper concentration.

Maybe it's a meromictic lake.

Shirt brought to her courtesy of these fine folks:

Last edited by maurvir on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 pm.

Ribtor - I had to look that term up though I knew about turn over in lakes. I didn't realize those also look that color.
I can almost hear the loud bass and see it bounce.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
jkahless Custom Title
Kirk posted:

Judging from the flora and the landscape, I think rock flour is by far the most likely culprit.
Take that idiot's rifle away, now
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I mean, I would, but I think he might be armed.
user Stupid cockwomble
He won't be able to aim.
Would have looked better in maple.
TOS
Kirk posted:
Take that idiot's rifle away, now

methinks they're russians in eastern ukraine rather than ohio yokels
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, 467, 468 ... 912