The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
radarman posted:

they call it the "lawsuitinator"

but i wonder where it is? my son would frigging love that thing
The Kompan Space Net/Spiral Slide at Snow Hinton Park in Tuscaloosa.

A kid would have to work pretty hard to get through the lower netting below the outer netting, and even then even if he managed to hang using his hands AND feet from the lowest netting he would be falling a maximum of about 5 feet/1.5 meters to the sand-covered ground (sorry, strike that--I'm not sure with what the ground is covered).
Quote:
Because it’s so different from typical playground structures, safety concerns have been raised by some parents.

“My first impression was terrifying.” That’s Meredith Crocker. We heard from her son CJ at the beginning of the story.

“I told myself that I would not allow my children to come, just from safety concerns, but once I got here, and saw how safe the cables were, and saw how well they maneuvered themselves to the top, I was fine with it.”

Oh, near the start of that story:
Quote:
Ten-year-old CJ is certainly a fan: “I’ve been on it more than twenty-five times today.”

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:36 am.

There is one similar (but without quite the height or the slide) at a park in North Delta, near my inlaws house.
user Stupid cockwomble
Looks like hamster chips.

The hike to Hi'ilawe Falls in Hawaii
I've been there. We rode in on horseback from the stables in Waipio Valley. We need to go back, sigh. Bring mosquito repellent!
kicking what? a firework? Though if that's Palestine, it could be a tear gas canister I suppose. :squint:
Weird dips in a star's brightness:

The Kepler mission had first recorded this data.

The top graph shows this star's brightness over an extended period of time which shows two of the greater dips in brightness extremely truncated which are expanded in the lower pair of graphs. In the lower left graph this star's brightness dipped by 15% and in the lower right graph the star's brightness dipped by 22%.

Astronomers have been ruling out possibilities. It is unlikely that planets are the cause of the dips because no planet could be large enough to block out so much of the star's light (even the most massive possible super-Jupiter would be at most in the range of 2%). A bi-/trinary star is also unlikely because the light from a second or third star would be easily determined by spectrographic analysis (and because of the number of days involved any such multiple stars should be resolvable as separate stars when at their maximum distance). Any weird dust clouds have been ruled out because spectrographic analysis in the IR band indicates that this star's system is largely dust-free. Instrument problems and starspots on the star have also been ruled out as causes for these large dips.

There is also the weirdness that the graph on the lower left is only close to symmetrical--the left side begins with a gradual dip, but after maximum the star's brightness recovers more quickly (which implies significant asymmetry to whatever object caused the dip). And the multiple dips in the lower right graph cannot be easily explained by ANY set of objects.

When the brightness graph is viewed on a smaller scale other oddnesses show up:

The relatively regular almost-daily shifts in brightness are likely due to a set of starspots that rotate in and out of view (so it is likely that this star is rotating relatively rapidly at 0.88 Earth days per rotation compared to our Sun's 26-day rotation). The irregular shifts in brightness that happen over several days at a time are very weird and are uncharacteristic of nearly all observable non-variable stars. There is the possibility that we have caught this star during some relatively short phase when it is transitioning from one state to another (e.g., at the center of the core there can be sufficient heat and density that helium has begun to fuse, but the additional heat generated from that reaction causes the core to expand thus lowering its density to the point where helium stops fusing).

While this is unlikely, in order to rule out ALL possibilities the astronomers who spotted this odd star have asked that some time at the SETI project be devoted to this star.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DEyncourt posted:
While this is unlikely, in order to rule out ALL possibilities the astronomers who spotted this odd star have asked that some time at the SETI project be devoted to this star.
That seems reasonable, and very interesting.
sean Royal Wombat
Kirk posted:
kicking what? a firework? Though if that's Palestine, it could be a tear gas canister I suppose. :squint:

Looks like a smoke or tear gas grenade. You can see part of it in the bottom right of the image.
TOS
Wait, is that one person?
TOS
looks like it
TOS
TOS
the global economy is something else, man

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
This is some fashion designer's idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had happened in real life

TOS
is that a transparent wedding gown?

talk about your unintentional irony
That's modest compared to what some teens wear to the prom these days.
TOS
modest ... and tasteful, even
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I can't wait until I'm old enough to complain about teens.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The dress is beautiful, and I love the way the guests are playing right along with the 'social media' theme ...
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS posted:
is that a transparent wedding gown?

talk about your unintentional irony

Must be a "skin colored" fabric under the white stuff, I'd hope, but the effect is the same anyway.

And the point, if it wasn't clear, is: bride with a selfie stick.
She is probably just wearing a modesty bra and panties under the dress.
user Stupid cockwomble
She's a fashion model. They don't care about that stuff.
TOS
TOS
Alexander Supertramp posted:
I can't wait until I'm old enough to complain about teens.

not a teen? old enough!
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
DukeofNuke posted:
The dress is beautiful, and I love the way the guests are playing right along with the 'social media' theme ...

I thought the one in the background was very nice, and the woman got the facial expression just right.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
It's also nice to see a model with guns.
ukimalefu posted:
This is some fashion designer's idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had happened in real life

I really like that dress.
juice Inadvertently correct
uuuummmm...

I hope that's not a sailor.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
that deserves ridicule heaped on embarrassment
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466 ... 913