The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Geesie posted:
[snip]
Also, The Bicentennial Man.
[snip]

Well, to be fair: I think that the reference was to the movie and NOT the original story (first published in 1976 of course), and that movie (1999) does post-date the original Star Wars.

On the other hand: WTF? How was that movie supposedly influenced by Star Wars? Well, aside from how--for good AND ill--the movie-making era does have a distinctive marker that could be labelled "Post-Star Wars" especially for science fiction-themed movies.
user Stupid cockwomble
DEyncourt posted:
Geesie posted:
[snip]
[snip]

Well, to be fair: I think that the reference was to the movie and NOT the original story (first published in 1976 of course), and that movie (1999) does post-date the original Star Wars.

On the other hand: WTF? How was that movie supposedly influenced by Star Wars? Well, aside from how--for good AND ill--the movie-making era does have a distinctive marker that could be labelled "Post-Star Wars" especially for science fiction-themed movies.

I think the chart was about movie styles - like the way SW brought in a grungy look to futuristic sets. Nothing to do with what was in the books the scripts were based on.
dv
user posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Geesie posted:
[snip]
[snip]

I think the chart was about movie styles - like the way SW brought in a grungy look to futuristic sets. Nothing to do with what was in the books the scripts were based on.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UsedFuture
user Stupid cockwomble
I just recall being really surprised at the dirty speeders when I first saw one on Tatooee in A New Hope.
jkahless Custom Title
Geesie posted:
jkahless posted:
user posted:

Ah, a chart that was made by an idiot, very random.

I'm positive Heinlein was influenced by star wars when he wrote Starship Troopers... 20 years earlier.

Also, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Also, the adorable mascot robot
Also, the film trilogy

I'll let someone else pick up from here.

Yeah. It's mostly a list of "Look, these things are vaguely related to something that was also in Star Wars but completely different and probably unconnected! TEH INFLUENCE!" Some of it's just ridiculous, they missed the human robot train by almost half a century...

Anything interesting in the chart is vastly overshadowed by it's overall amount of suck. Perhaps they should have got an actual science fiction fan or a movie buff to draw it up.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
jkahless posted:
Geesie posted:
jkahless posted:
user posted:

Ah, a chart that was made by an idiot, very random.

I'm positive Heinlein was influenced by star wars when he wrote Starship Troopers... 20 years earlier.

Also, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Also, the adorable mascot robot
Also, the film trilogy

I'll let someone else pick up from here.

Yeah. It's mostly a list of "Look, these things are vaguely related to something that was also in Star Wars but completely different and probably unconnected! TEH INFLUENCE!" Some of it's just ridiculous, they missed the human robot train by almost half a century...

Anything interesting in the chart is vastly overshadowed by it's overall amount of suck. Perhaps they should have got an actual science fiction fan or a movie buff to draw it up.

If you guys are actually interested in what influenced Star Wars, this blog is very very good: http://kitbashed.com
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Somebody could have done that chart with character archetypes from ancient Greek theater, it would have made more sense.
user Stupid cockwomble
Your kid was pretty good in arts and crafts.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
TOS
dv
user Stupid cockwomble
They should give up and just put Nimoy's face on it - if he's not Canadian, he ought to be.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
the dictator? i had to look that one up! sure enough, it existed (and was routinely renamed "director" for export
TOS
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
the dictator? i had to look that one up! sure enough, it existed (and was routinely renamed "director" for export

potato, poTAHto
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Gravity Nullifier Rotor? Wow!!
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:

any day now!
TOS
i like the austro-hungarian facepalm
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

any day now!

They forgot the disco.
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:
i like the austro-hungarian facepalm

There's a lot going on in that map.
TOS
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Is that Freddy Krueger in the background?
user Stupid cockwomble
Freddy has fam too.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS
justine Elitist Beer Lover
pubertyfairy.jpg
TOS
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Geesie posted:

I blame the Supreme Court!

I hope you two are happy, Geesie.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I just want that top door to open and see a guy fly out with his rocket pack.
Gotta be a photoshop. Otherwise I see no way that garage door could have a dent in it from the outside. That would be nice for ventilation though. ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 913