The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438 ... 913
Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
how are they calling it operational when it's still in development
dv
TOS posted:
how are they calling it operational when it's still in development

Maybe it's not as in development as people think it is? Wikipedia says over 100 have been built.

My assumption would be that they're deploying a squadron of them to work out the kinks, get maintenance people up to speed (develop/tweak a curriculum for tech school?), and get last-minute changes back to the manufacturer to fix any bugs they find for the next block of aircraft.

You don't upgrade the entire company to Windows 10 overnight, but you start evaluating ASAP. (Bad metaphor, but you get the idea.)

We have something called "key customer releases" where a few people get pre-release software to evaluate. They sometimes even find bugs we missed.
Good analogy, dv
Note that's the STOVL version, the one with the extra complicated stuff. This is enheartening.
The Boeing X-32 was prettier than the Lockheed X-35. Oh well
TOS
the 3-d helmet doesn't work, the targeting pod is obsolete, the software still isn't finished, it can't use any marine corps carriers ...

i suspect this announcement is more political than practical
dv
TOS posted:
the 3-d helmet doesn't work, the targeting pod is obsolete, the software still isn't finished, it can't use any marine corps carriers ...

Did you not read the article?

Quote:
For weeks, the Marines put the plane through a series of tests aboard carriers at sea

Yeah, okay, the development sucked, but goddamit, they're almost done. :goth:

The electronics will be upgraded numerous times during the service life of the aircraft/airframes, which is normal.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:
For weeks, the Marines put the plane through a series of tests aboard carriers at sea

The electronics will be upgraded numerous times during the service life of the aircraft/airframes, which is normal.

those weren't marine corps carriers, they were nimitz-class navy carriers

the marine corps carriers are smaller and can operate choppers and harriers but not the f-35; the exhaust from the "stealth" jets are too hot for the decks to handle

please remember, before getting snotty, that i'm very well informed on this topic -- far more than you are
Kirk posted:

It made its public debut last week at the EAA (flew in and remained taxied under armed guard) they had it parked next to the Raptor which was doing performances for the airshows.
Aaron_R posted:
Kirk posted:

It made its public debut last week at the EAA (flew in and remained taxied under armed guard) they had it parked next to the Raptor which was doing performances for the airshows.

tumblr_nsducoz8u71sntaj2o1_1280.jpg
TOS
what'd it feel like to be so close to a bajillion dollars in supersonic hardware?
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

the marine corps carriers are smaller and can operate choppers and harriers but not the f-35; the exhaust from the "stealth" jets are too hot for the decks to handle

please remember, before getting snotty, that i'm very well informed on this topic -- far more than you are

One would hope they would test on aircraft carriers with longer runways first. The STOVL functionality is a novelty and cranky after all. I expect the smaller ships are next.

A hot exhaust can be mitigated by new paint on the carrier deck. Something white with reflective particles and ceramic filler would work nicely, sorta like the paint on the tops of high performance aluminum pistons in cars for example.

I haven't checked out the helmet problems. I suspect its fixable with more engineering thrown at it.

Last edited by Kirk on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:33 am.

jkahless Custom Title
TOS
Kirk posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

One would hope they would test on aircraft carriers with longer runways first. The STOVL functionality is a novelty and cranky after all. I expect the smaller ships are next.

A hot exhaust can be mitigated by new paint on the carrier deck. Something white with reflective particles and ceramic filler would work nicely, sorta like the paint on the tops of high performance aluminum pistons in cars for example.

I haven't checked out the helmet problems. I suspect its fixable with more engineering thrown at it.

white paint? uh, no ... imagine a big-ass blowtorch with double the force of a harrier jet, pointed straight down, not just once, but many times a day for the life of the vessel

this is a serious problem, one that has only come to light recently because lockheed swore up and down for years that it wasn't an issue ... the marines are currently in the process of plonking down tens of billions for a new fleet of small carriers, and they're having to be rebuilt to handle the jets, except that no one's quite sure how to do that (hint: it's gotta be more than paint)

as for the helmet, it's years behind schedule ... the technology is called "3-d" because, while wearing it, the pilot is supposed to be able to look around and see everything as if the plane wasn't there (as if he was just flying without a plane at all, really), and that's great, because the visibility in the plane is lousy, and has an extremely deadly blindspot in the back -- so until the helmet works the pilots are going to be vulnerable
TOS
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
white paint? uh, no ... imagine a big-ass blowtorch with double the force of a harrier jet, pointed straight down, not just once, but many times a day for the life of the vessel

this is a serious problem, one that has only come to light recently because lockheed swore up and down for years that it wasn't an issue ... the marines are currently in the process of plonking down tens of billions for a new fleet of small carriers, and they're having to be rebuilt to handle the jets, except that no one's quite sure how to do that (hint: it's gotta be more than paint)

Thermal tiles, bedded along the runway. Of course, the problem with that is the weight, which will be considerable and will require other changes to the ships, the cost, and the low durability of the tiles.
dv
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

http://news.usni.org/2015/07/31/marines ... ke-fighter

Quote:
The squadron went through operational testing aboard USS Wasp (LHD-1) in May

dv
TOS posted:

How recently is recently? I'm finding references to exhaust heat as far back as 2010. The navy has the same problem with the Osprey, although it's not as bad.

As for the new carriers, only the USS America has actually been built. There's one more under construction, but the rest were put on hold to redesign them with well decks and stuff. Probably will be another ten years easy. Nothing needs to be rebuilt, since it hasn't been built yet.
dv
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:

They's have made it too if the damned Liberal PC gestapo didn't take the General Lee away from them Duke Boys.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

http://news.usni.org/2015/07/31/marines ... ke-fighter

Quote:
The squadron went through operational testing aboard USS Wasp (LHD-1) in May

what's your point? no one said that landing an f-35 on the flight deck would make the ship explode, just that it can't actually operate off those ships

i've also read that even though they've been declared operational, many of the capabilities of the jets have been removed, and the operating software still doesn't work.

if you're trying to argue that all the concerns people have aren't valid and that everything is just fine, i suggest you don't bother
I've no argument that there's problems. I just take issue with the idea they're not fixable, however expensive that might be. ;)
jkahless Custom Title
Considering the real purpose of the F-35 programme, the most expensive the fixes the more successful!
TOS
Kirk posted:
I've no argument that there's problems. I just take issue with the idea they're not fixable, however expensive that might be. ;)

well no one is saying it's not fixable, just that it's not worth the staggering cost
TOS
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Photoshopped.
TOS
you're supposed to be outraged, dammit
user Stupid cockwomble
They'd probably just giggle.
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

well no one is saying it's not fixable, just that it's not worth the staggering cost

What's a few more million? ;)
TOS
Kirk posted:
TOS posted:
Kirk posted:

What's a few more million? ;)

million? with an m?
sean Royal Wombat
TOS posted:
with an m?

... followed by an 'illion.'
jkahless Custom Title
macuser posted:

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
It's not, that human waste is poison. Sweet tasty poison I just had a glass of. BIG glass. I like to live dangerously.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
DEyncourt posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
That thing is freakin huge. Whenever I hear about asteroids and comments and, well, anything in space that's not a planet or moon, I have a hard time conceptualizing the size. This helped!

Comet 67P projected onto downtown Los Angeles landscape:

The tallest building there is 1,018 feet (310 m).

Still can't wrap my head around it. Maybe if someone could actually land something that big write next to a city like that.

:)
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
It's not, that human waste is poison. Sweet tasty poison I just had a glass of. BIG glass. I like to live dangerously.

You're exactly like a heroin junkie! :eek:
TOS
Mustapha Mond posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
That thing is freakin huge. Whenever I hear about asteroids and comments and, well, anything in space that's not a planet or moon, I have a hard time conceptualizing the size. This helped!

Still can't wrap my head around it. Maybe if someone could actually land something that big write next to a city like that.

well, nasa is working to lasso an asteroid and bring it back to earth ...
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
jkahless posted:
ukimalefu posted:

More people die from soda pop.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/06/29/sugary-drinks-linked-to-180000-deaths-a-year-study-says/
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-sugary-soda-death-toll-20150629-story.html
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
TOS posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Mustapha Mond posted:

well, nasa is working to lasso an asteroid and bring it back to earth ...

Perfect!
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
jkahless posted:
ukimalefu posted:

More people die from soda pop.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/06/29/sugary-drinks-linked-to-180000-deaths-a-year-study-says/
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-sugary-soda-death-toll-20150629-story.html

:brow: What does overconsumption of pop have to do with the pseudoscientific claptrap on that infographic?
jkahless Custom Title
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 432, 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438 ... 913