The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

How's life?
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22752
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

TOS wrote:
Donkey Butter wrote: it's definitely a boot. also hooose instead of house and beg instead of bag.


never heard it once in my entire life except from giggling americans

I have heard people speak that way in the UP and extreme Northeastern Wisconsin.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
macaddict4life
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: Taichung City, Taiwan
Contact:

Post by macaddict4life »

ukimalefu wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
MacAddict4Life wrote:
Geesie wrote:
matt wrote: From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".


The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Some languages don't have the r/l distinction at all.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)


all "westeners"? :squint:


In Taiwan people use the term "foreigner" a lot, and it took me a little while to get used to it not being intended as offensive. Outside of the big city centers, little kids often lean to their mom or friend and point to me and and say with a look of surprise or curiosity, "wai-guo-ren" (meaning foreigner).
Ernest
User avatar
chikie
Posts: 10219
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:24 pm
Title: The same deviled egg

Post by chikie »

MacAddict4Life wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
MacAddict4Life wrote:
Geesie wrote:
matt wrote: From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".


The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Some languages don't have the r/l distinction at all.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)


all "westeners"? :squint:


In Taiwan people use the term "foreigner" a lot, and it took me a little while to get used to it not being intended as offensive. Outside of the big city centers, little kids often lean to their mom or friend and point to me and and say with a look of surprise or curiosity, "wai-guo-ren" (meaning foreigner).

While in Ethiopia, I would have people point all the time shouting "fahrengi!" which means [western] foreigner.
mmaverick wrote wrote: I'm just on a fiddlesticks train.
User avatar
Geesie
Posts: 26077
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am
Title: Couldn't hit it sideways
Location: Searching for my mainline

Post by Geesie »

chikie wrote:
MacAddict4Life wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
MacAddict4Life wrote:
Geesie wrote:
matt wrote: From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".


The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Some languages don't have the r/l distinction at all.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)


all "westeners"? :squint:


In Taiwan people use the term "foreigner" a lot, and it took me a little while to get used to it not being intended as offensive. Outside of the big city centers, little kids often lean to their mom or friend and point to me and and say with a look of surprise or curiosity, "wai-guo-ren" (meaning foreigner).

While in Ethiopia, I would have people point all the time shouting "fahrengi!" which means [western] foreigner.


Maybe it was a comment on your ears.
Image
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

radarman wrote:
MacAddict4Life wrote:
justine wrote: This is a roadsign near my house. The sign is posted at the beginning of HWY50, and shows the end in Ocean City, MD.

roadsign.jpg

A girl I knew from Maryland told me that there is the reverse of the sign, with the distance to Sacramento, on the other end.


I used to live in Maryland, and yes, there is a similar sign just outside of Ocean City, MD

:up:
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Image
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

jkahless wrote: Image

New origin story...

"Tell me, do you bleed... ketchup?"
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

I was thinking more "Hey kid, do you like hamburgers?"
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
Alexander Supertramp
Posts: 7938
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

matt wrote: I was thinking more "Hey kid, do you like hamburgers?"


I was thinking more leftover human waste from the budget costume shop.
The visuals don't hold up.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9364
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16703
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

TOS wrote: Image

I shouldn't laugh, but i couldn't help it! :lol:
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25359
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Image

(Link to gallery)
Last edited by maurvir on Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11131
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

radarman wrote: Image

I hope it's somewhere cold and sunless.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

printed out and tucked under windshield wipers at a crowded parking lot

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt
Posts: 17395
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

Metacell wrote:
radarman wrote: Image

I hope it's somewhere cold and sunless.

Tropical Islands was built inside an old Soviet airship hangar, about 60 km south of Berlin.
User avatar
Geesie
Posts: 26077
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am
Title: Couldn't hit it sideways
Location: Searching for my mainline

Post by Geesie »

TOS wrote: printed out and tucked under windshield wipers at a crowded parking lot

Image


Other than the HPV, that's practically an advertisement!
Image
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33305
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Metacell wrote:
radarman wrote: Image

I hope it's somewhere cold and sunless.

I hope that's a go-cart track in the center!
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

i believe it's a former zeppelin hangar
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

see, if you don't pull out and properly clean your contacts, you get parasites

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

Image
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

ok
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27722
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

fun pillows
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
Geesie
Posts: 26077
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am
Title: Couldn't hit it sideways
Location: Searching for my mainline

Post by Geesie »

Image
Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44210
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Image
User avatar
jkahless
Posts: 6414
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Image
User avatar
Geesie
Posts: 26077
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:18 am
Title: Couldn't hit it sideways
Location: Searching for my mainline

Post by Geesie »

Image
Image
User avatar
sean
Posts: 5674
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm
Title: Royal Wombat
Location: Earth
Contact:

Post by sean »

Geesie wrote: Image


That's awesome.
Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 39391
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

sean wrote:
Geesie wrote: Image


That's awesome.


i wanna do that too
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Post Reply