The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 913
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Donkey Butter posted:
it's definitely a boot. also hooose instead of house and beg instead of bag.

never heard it once in my entire life except from giggling americans

I have heard people speak that way in the UP and extreme Northeastern Wisconsin.
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:
From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".

The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Some languages don't have the r/l distinction at all.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)

all "westeners"? :squint:

In Taiwan people use the term "foreigner" a lot, and it took me a little while to get used to it not being intended as offensive. Outside of the big city centers, little kids often lean to their mom or friend and point to me and and say with a look of surprise or curiosity, "wai-guo-ren" (meaning foreigner).
chikie The same deviled egg
MacAddict4Life posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:
From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".

The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)

In Taiwan people use the term "foreigner" a lot, and it took me a little while to get used to it not being intended as offensive. Outside of the big city centers, little kids often lean to their mom or friend and point to me and and say with a look of surprise or curiosity, "wai-guo-ren" (meaning foreigner).

While in Ethiopia, I would have people point all the time shouting "fahrengi!" which means [western] foreigner.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
chikie posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:

While in Ethiopia, I would have people point all the time shouting "fahrengi!" which means [western] foreigner.

Maybe it was a comment on your ears.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
radarman posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
justine posted:
This is a roadsign near my house. The sign is posted at the beginning of HWY50, and shows the end in Ocean City, MD.

roadsign.jpg

A girl I knew from Maryland told me that there is the reverse of the sign, with the distance to Sacramento, on the other end.

I used to live in Maryland, and yes, there is a similar sign just outside of Ocean City, MD

:up:
jkahless Custom Title
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
jkahless posted:

New origin story...

"Tell me, do you bleed... ketchup?"
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I was thinking more "Hey kid, do you like hamburgers?"
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
matt posted:
I was thinking more "Hey kid, do you like hamburgers?"

I was thinking more leftover human waste from the budget costume shop.
TOS
justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS posted:

I shouldn't laugh, but i couldn't help it! :lol:

(Link to gallery)

Last edited by maurvir on Fri May 08, 2015 5:54 pm.

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
radarman posted:

I hope it's somewhere cold and sunless.
TOS
printed out and tucked under windshield wipers at a crowded parking lot

Metacell posted:
radarman posted:

Tropical Islands was built inside an old Soviet airship hangar, about 60 km south of Berlin.
TOS posted:
printed out and tucked under windshield wipers at a crowded parking lot

Other than the HPV, that's practically an advertisement!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Metacell posted:
radarman posted:

I hope that's a go-cart track in the center!
TOS
i believe it's a former zeppelin hangar
TOS
see, if you don't pull out and properly clean your contacts, you get parasites

TOS
TOS
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
user Stupid cockwomble
jkahless Custom Title
sean Royal Wombat
Geesie posted:

That's awesome.
TOS
sean posted:
Geesie posted:

That's awesome.

i wanna do that too
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 913