The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Oh. I didn't realize that the hearts were the same color as her skin. I was just like "Oh, she kind of looks weird."
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:
Wait... the hearts are cut out of her face!?

:sick:
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
sean posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Wait... the hearts are cut out of her face!?

:sick:

Love hurts, man. She just gets to the point more directly...
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
radarman posted:

Thanks for my new "forest moon of Endor" desktop pic. :D

I'm imagining the speeder bike chase, but ewoks do not suck.
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:
Thanks for my new "forest moon of Endor" desktop pic. :D

Wot 'e said.
TOS
TOS
by the way, page 400, holy shmoly
TOS
TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Lego instructions?
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Geesie posted:

Is it wrong that when I see people like this I assume that they must really hate themselves?
jkahless Custom Title
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Lego instructions?

experimental transport made with huge pieces of carbon fibre instead of thousands of pieces aluminum and fasteners
Donkey Butter jerk face
From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
matt posted:
From what I've heard, the Canadian pronunciation of "about" sounds more like "a boat" than it sounds like "a boot".

The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.
I always thought it was strange to hear people from the U.S. say that Canadians said "aboot", because I'd never heard any such pronunciation.
TOS
matt posted:
I always thought it was strange to hear people from the U.S. say that Canadians said "aboot", because I'd never heard any such pronunciation.

ditto
Donkey Butter jerk face
it's definitely a boot. also hooose instead of house and beg instead of bag.
Donkey Butter jerk face
you guys talk funny
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I only read Canadian
TOS
Donkey Butter posted:

never heard it once in my entire life except from giggling americans
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
justine Elitist Beer Lover
This is a roadsign near my house. The sign is posted at the beginning of HWY50, and shows the end in Ocean City, MD.

roadsign.jpg
sturner Ancient Soldier
TOS posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

never heard it once in my entire life except from giggling americans

How about from lowland and highland Scots?
jkahless Custom Title
human waste.

Well thank God.
user Stupid cockwomble
Thank Pizza the Hutt.
justine posted:
This is a roadsign near my house. The sign is posted at the beginning of HWY50, and shows the end in Ocean City, MD.

roadsign.jpg

A girl I knew from Maryland told me that there is the reverse of the sign, with the distance to Sacramento, on the other end.
Geesie posted:
matt posted:

The feature is called Canadian raising and moves the initial vowel in the dipthong from low to mid position. Americans hear it as "aboot" because we don't have the equivalent vowel sound in our linguistics so we hear the nearest familiar thing. It's like the stereotypical Asian r - l confusion. Certain Asian languages and dialects have less distinction between those two glides so they hear it as the same sound.

Some languages don't have the r/l distinction at all.

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:

Another common one is f/v and p/b. Some languages (Bahasa Indonesia comes to mind) lack one or both of these dissections, making fat and vat sound like the same word and/or making pit and bit sound like the same word.

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:

Actually for Japanese at least--both my parents had this speech "problem"--there is a different phoneme which is kinda-sorta halfway between the Western "r" and "l" phonemes, so when native Japanese speakers try to say "look" it can sound like "rook" to Western ears partially depending on context ("look takes pawn", "rook over there"). It is difficult to "unlearn" the speech habits one develops as an infant.

I can hear and speak all three phonemes. For me nearly all Westerners simply cannot say ”らめん” (ramen) correctly. :)

all "westeners"? :squint:
MacAddict4Life posted:
justine posted:

roadsign.jpg

A girl I knew from Maryland told me that there is the reverse of the sign, with the distance to Sacramento, on the other end.

I used to live in Maryland, and yes, there is a similar sign just outside of Ocean City, MD
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
Geesie posted:
matt posted:

all "westeners"? :squint:

Yeah, YOU!!!1!!

Thinking about this, I THINK that Western tongues can kinda-sorta get there. Forgive my English-centric examples.

Say "law".

Now say "raw".

Notice how at the beginning of "law" the tip of your tongue starts behind your front upper teeth or gum or lip, as distinct to "raw" for which your tongue stays at the bottom of your mouth.

Now try to say "law" but keep your tongue at the bottom of your mouth like when saying "raw".

That's NOT quite there but gets closer to the Japanese r/l phoneme. When I say ”らめん” (ramen) much of my tongue--not just the tip--does not begin at the bottom of my mouth but is suspended partway between the top and bottom of my mouth.

So next time you say "ありがと” (arigato == "thanks") to a Japanese friend, give that a try.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403 ... 912