The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 914
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
New Los Angeles parking sign:

The guy who posted the article at BoingBoing.net compared that to a craps table though it reads fairly clearly to me (even without this diagram's info). What it replaces are indecypherable monstrosities like this:

The latter sign was in the LA suburb of Culver City, but you get the idea.

Although I do wonder what the new design's version of the latter picture would be....
jkahless Custom Title
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
jkahless Custom Title
If that's what she calls a reward, I'd hate to hear her ideas on punishment.

Just FYI, she is the Supreme Leader of my little province.
TOS
yeah, you bozos just re-elected her

toronto voters would never do such a thing
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
DEyncourt posted:
New Los Angeles parking sign:

The guy who posted the article at BoingBoing.net compared that to a craps table though it reads fairly clearly to me (even without this diagram's info).

Looks like an iPhone.

Really, though, I agree it's much easier to make sense of than most other parking signs.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
How do you read the sign without stopping?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Signs require willingness to read them and brains to understand them.

I'm not sure what the arrows mean. Only park on this side? Parking only from here in that direction?

Maybe robocars will solve a lot of that, and it could be one reason for people to like robocars. Press a button on your phone to have the car come pick you up and drop you off at your destination. No worries about parking.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
"That side of the street"?
matt posted:
How do you read the sign without stopping?

Oh, there's also that. Some sign "designers" and the people who approve the signs have no idea what they're doing. But I'm sure the sign looked pretty on the computer screen (or iPad, or whatever)

Or, maybe they pretend that you just park, run to the sign and read it and figure out quickly if you can stay or not.

There should be an app for that. Siri, can I park here?
ukimalefu posted:

I'm not sure what the arrows mean. Only park on this side? Parking only from here in that direction?
[snip]

The arrows mean that the parking rules on this sign apply to street parking spots from the location of the sign onward in that arrow's direction. For longer stretches of parking there will be signs that look like the left example sign though with a double-headed arrow at the top to indicate that the rules apply to all street parking slots in the area (and so a car driver who is parking somewhere in the middle will not have to go to the end of that stretch of parking to see the sign that applies to his parking slot).

In LA (and, I think, generally in the US) a parking sign only applies to that side of the street. There should be signs on both side of the street even when the rules on both sides are identical.
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:

[snip]

The arrows mean that the parking rules on this sign apply to street parking spots from the location of the sign onward in that arrow's direction. For longer stretches of parking there will be signs that look like the left example sign though with a double-headed arrow at the top to indicate that the rules apply to all street parking slots in the area (and so a car driver who is parking somewhere in the middle will not have to go to the end of that stretch of parking to see the sign that applies to his parking slot).

In LA (and, I think, generally in the US) a parking sign only applies to that side of the street. There should be signs on both side of the street even when the rules on both sides are identical.

:up:
TOS
window washers + high winds + swing stage =

sean Royal Wombat
TOS posted:
window washers + high winds + swing stage =

I'd have spat. :eek:
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
jkahless posted:
If that's what she calls a reward, I'd hate to hear her ideas on punishment.

Just FYI, she is the Supreme Leader of my little province.

Our little province :(
juice Inadvertently correct
How is it that he has better hair than I do?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
radarman posted:

i'm sure he's a very nice fellow
TOS
this gives me respiratory distress

Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
TOS posted:
radarman posted:

i'm sure he's a very nice fellow

wut
TOS
TOS posted:

What the fiddlesticks is wrong with some people? I mean really... what kind of idiot squeezes themselves into an opening they can barely breathe in, let alone sit up. Not that I propose just leaving idiots like this to die, but sheesh, they should have to pay for their own rescues.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
If you're going to put yourself in a situation like this, you should at least be mining coal (with the support of your Senators).
user Stupid cockwomble
Should at least brought longer bootstraps.
DukeofNuke posted:
If you're going to put yourself in a situation like this, you should at least be mining coal (with the support of your Senators).

:lol:
TOS
TOS
Weird undulating cloud formations:

The Bad Astronomer has more pictures, a very short YouTube video, and the current explanation for such clouds.
Nice, its rare for atmospheric waves to be that obvious and not complicated by smaller waves.
Geesie posted:

I'd be the first to admit that the above artist's ability to draw is far superior to mine, but Easter bunny?

I have no idea what animal he had in mind. Based on the head, possibly an aardvark?

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:31 pm.

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
It has the nose of a shrew, so I don't know what it's supposed to be.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, I was thinking it had to be a Wind in the Willows type of character instead. Looks more like a possum.

Love the reflection of the guy's face in the cup of coffee.
Conner Of Gallifrey
TOS posted:

Having a panic attack just thinking about that. Holy human waste.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
What are these two selling?
bikes or clothes?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
What are these two selling?
bikes or clothes?

There is no way that wasn't intentional... :squint:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393 ... 914