The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
You know her story, right sturner?
Quote:
Roza Georgiyevna Shanina[a] (Russian: Ро́за Гео́ргиевна Ша́нина, IPA: [ˈrozə ɡʲɪˈorɡʲɪɪvnəˈʂanʲɪnə]; 3 April 1924 – 28 January 1945[b]) was a Soviet sniper during World War II, credited with fifty-nine confirmed kills, including twelve soldiers during the Battle of Vilnius. Shanina volunteered for the military after the death of her brother in 1941 and chose to be a marksman on the front line. Praised for her shooting accuracy, Shanina was capable of precisely hitting moving enemy personnel and making doublets (two target hits by two rounds fired in quick succession).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roza_Shanina

Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
jkahless Custom Title
user Stupid cockwomble
"Mangalyaan [India's Mars orbiter] sends eye-catching pictures of Mars":

Quote:
The spacecraft has also captured the three dimensional view of Arsia Mons created by draping the Mars color Camera (MCC) image on topography of the region derived from Mars Orbiter Laser Altimter (MOLA). This Image of Arsia Mons region was taken by Mars color camera on board Mangalyaan at a spatial resolution of 556 m from an altitude of 10707 km. Volcanic deposits located at the flanks of the Mons are seen in this image.

There are two other pictures posted. Weirdly the commentary associated with the picture does not appear next to its picture (like the above paragraph was the last in the story but the above picture was the first image shown, at least when I typed this).
user Stupid cockwomble
Some groups'll do anything to get a booth at CPAC.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Séamas Honorary Consul General
matt posted:

Funny, this is my wife's #1 complaint about me.
In the Smithsonian there is this official portrait of Bill Clinton:

Does that shadow next to Clinton somehow look familiar? The artist deliberately was invoking Monica Lewinski's blue dress.

user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
DEyncourt posted:

Does that shadow next to Clinton somehow look familiar? The artist deliberately was invoking Monica Lewinski's blue dress.

yeah, i don't see it
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Wait, that dress is white.

:paranoid:
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:

yeah, i don't see it

Me neither. It is a kind of crappy painting though.
radarman posted:

Is that from a Bugs Bunny episode?
Ribtor posted:
radarman posted:

Is that from a Bugs Bunny episode?

Truth is stranger than Bugs Bunny now? Man, the world is really stick fiddled up.
It's been a very long and severe drought for them but they are starting to recover a bit
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/02/ ... -year-ago/
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
When was that ever true?
TOS
certainly before the frigging ten grand bling watch
Why do people get all caught up about the expensive Apple Watch? You aren't paying that much for the guts and the screen. You are paying for the massive chunk of actual gold that the thing is made out of. Don't want to pay 10k for a watch? Don't get the really expensive gold one.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Warin posted:
Why do people get all caught up about the expensive Apple Watch? You aren't paying that much for the guts and the screen. You are paying for the massive chunk of actual gold that the thing is made out of. Don't want to pay 10k for a watch? Don't get the really expensive gold one.

Personally, I think wearing the $10k gold one is just to show how big of a douchebag you really are.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Warin posted:

Personally, I think wearing the $10k gold one is just to show how big of a douchebag you really are.

There are much more expensive watches, and they aren't even smart.

You want a gold smart-watch? Apple's is your only choice. It's for rich people, not for everybody.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I don't think there's anything smart about that watch.
Warin posted:

According to the news sites, there is likely less than 1 ounce of gold in the thing, which means that it has less that $1000 worth of gold. One business site that was predicting Apple's markup based on that a while ago said that $7000 would be the absolute ridiculous high that they would mark it up and $3000 would be reasonable.

Also, because of all the stuff I said earlier about a $10,000 piece of disposable Chinese junk.
Geesie posted:
Warin posted:

According to the news sites, there is likely less than 1 ounce of gold in the thing, which means that it has less that $1000 worth of gold. One business site that was predicting Apple's markup based on that a while ago said that $7000 would be the absolute ridiculous high that they would mark it up and $3000 would be reasonable.

Also, because of all the stuff I said earlier about a $10,000 piece of disposable Chinese junk.

Then don't buy one. But why be so upset that they made it? I just don't get it. There is a whole lot of expensive crap that doesn't have a manufacturing cost anywhere near what they sell it for, and I don't see a lot of crusades against pants or handbags or even some crazy luxury cell phones.
Warin posted:
Geesie posted:
Warin posted:

Then don't buy one. But why be so upset that they made it? I just don't get it. There is a whole lot of expensive crap that doesn't have a manufacturing cost anywhere near what they sell it for, and I don't see a lot of crusades against pants or handbags or even some crazy luxury cell phones.

Well a) I guess you haven't looked because speaking against wasteful conspicuous consumption has been a thing for quite some time and b) up until this point, Apple products came at a premium but there was always a reason other than "look at my millionaire stuff". Apple products were supposedly better in some way, not just gaudier.
Geesie posted:
Warin posted:
Geesie posted:
Warin posted:

Well a) I guess you haven't looked because speaking against wasteful conspicuous consumption has been a thing for quite some time and b) up until this point, Apple products came at a premium but there was always a reason other than "look at my millionaire stuff". Apple products were supposedly better in some way, not just gaudier.

Been real gold iPhones and iPods for awhile, maybe they are just trying to get that market.
I suppose that is a decent enough point. I guess I just really don't give a damn if a company panders to people with more money than brains, so long as they provide the same product at a price regular folks can afford. And in this case, the basic Apple Watch does exactly the same thing for a fraction of the price.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 ... 912