The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 912
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Difficulty: Change the battery
TOS
now that can't be right ...

TOS
and a one, and a two, and a three!

sean Royal Wombat
radarman posted:

Are you sure you are supposed to get to it from above? :squint:
Sean posted:
radarman posted:

Are you sure you are supposed to get to it from above? :squint:

I think if I saw that on the showroom floor I'd walk away from the car.
user Stupid cockwomble
Kirk posted:
I think if I noticed that on the showroom floor I'd walk away from the car.

FIFM
There are much worse than that.
TOS
every car has at least one obnoxious quirk
user Stupid cockwomble
Usually behind the wheel.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
radarman posted:

Two bolts for the brace, lift out the washer reservoir. Not too difficult.
user Stupid cockwomble
As opposed to removing the clamps and taking out the batt?
sean Royal Wombat
Geesie posted:

In what world is that okay? In my car I disconnect the battery and lift it out. I don't need to remove any braces, or fluid reservoirs, first.
Sean posted:
Geesie posted:

In what world is that okay? In my car I disconnect the battery and lift it out. I don't need to remove any braces, or fluid reservoirs, first.

Dodge has one you have to take off a wheel and remove the inner fender, Pontiac had one you had to remove the fender.
You ought to see how bad headlight bulbs are on some, grill and bumper removal.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
user Stupid cockwomble
Then realize you are probably one of them and not the exception that you think you are.
user posted:
Then realize you are probably one of them and not the exception that you think you are.

The problem, as a general rule, isn't actually stupidity - it's inattentiveness. Most humans are actually fairly smart, when you can get them to apply their intelligence. It's that precondition that fouls most people up.

For example, if you ask most people if texting and driving is a bad idea, they will say no. However, if you ask them that in a text message while they are driving, they will probably say no by texting you back...
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
TOS posted:
every car has at least one obnoxious quirk

I'll say. To change a headlight on my Chevy HHR, you have to remove the corresponding front tire. Once you do that, it's easy-peasy.
I had to remove my intake manifold to change my spark plugs. stick fiddling Mitsubishi engine.
Geesie posted:

Photo realism or biomechanical tat? Both?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
justine posted:

He got the wrong thing. He wanted a turbo charger, got an alternator. He should call it biomechanical. I still think it looks cool.
ukimalefu posted:
justine posted:

He got the wrong thing. He wanted a turbo charger, got an alternator. He should call it biomechanical. I still think it looks cool.

It does look pretty cool. I didn't notice it was wrong. :heh:
macnuke Afar
perhaps he alternates
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Does it generate energy when he strokes the piston?
Geesie posted:
I had to remove my intake manifold to change my spark plugs. stick fiddling Mitsubishi engine.

My ex-father-in-law had a 70-something Ford van where the heat shields on the exhaust manifold interfered with access to one spark plug. I helped him work on it in roughly 85 because it was running rough. When I finally pulled that particular plug the electrode had melted all the way down to the ceramic insulator, i.e. it had not yet ever been replaced.
My friend was telling me about his son who knows NOTHING about cars and told him his car was making funny sounds etc, and basically needed oil. So later the kid was complaining 'why do they have to make it so difficult to add oil? its such a tiny hole,' etc. Turns out he had tried pouring it into where the dipstick goes.
StaticAge posted:
My friend was telling me about his son who knows NOTHING about cars and told him his car was making funny sounds etc, and basically needed oil. So later the kid was complaining 'why do they have to make it so difficult to add oil? its such a tiny hole,' etc. Turns out he had tried pouring it into where the dipstick goes.

On some modern engines, the actual oil fill is so hard to get to that this can be a reasonable approach if you are patient...
BMW has started removing dipsticks from cars because your oil sensor will tell you when you have a problem. Of course it will.
DEyncourt posted:
Sharpest view of M31--the Andromeda Galaxy--taken by Hubble:

The actual image is 69,536 x 22,230 pixels and was constructed from 411 separate images.
[snip]

The Bad Astronomer had this to say about this Andromeda picture.
Geesie posted:

Note that my previous post stated "as a general rule" There are some people that just really are stupid...
interesting and good news
A detail from the Pillars of Creation:

This is the detail being described in the next-to-last paragraph here: the change in the length of the jet is about 60 billion miles or 0.01 light years.
TOS
it's been out of the headlines for awhile, but hubble really is the gift that keeps on giving
TOS
thx for the nightmares
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Random Image Thread (keeping it PG-13 at the worst)

Page: 1 ... 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369 ... 912